Windows 10: Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty?

Discus and support Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, The last few months when trying to use my computer its been acting very strange. For example ill have disappearing text, things take a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MasonV1996, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty?

Hi everyone,

The last few months when trying to use my computer its been acting very strange. For example ill have disappearing text, things take a while to open, freezing, stuttering in game etc etc.

Sometimes this strange thing will happen where ill be on Discord and my voice will drop, i can still hear everyone else talking but they cant hear me, and all my programs will stop working, e.g google chrome wont refresh.

Just general slowness and for example if i right click a program it'll freeze my computer for a few seconds and then work.

Sometimes all text will disappear off my taskbar and Steam and only a restart will fix it.

My games will be stuttering a lot if i keep them on my HDD, i have a secondary SSD but the memory is quite small so i can only have a select few games on there, but the games i do have do not stutter at all, they run pretty flawlessly.

Now after doing some research i narrowed it down to potentially my RAM or HDD. I did a SMART test on my HDD which came back as a CAUTION. I also test my RAM with memory diagnostic but it came back as a pass. The fact my games run fine on my SSD point towards the problem being my hard drive but can anyone confirm this? Im not the most computer literate person out there so any advice would be recommended. I have no idea if my conclusion on the HDD is due to 2 very different problems or if im correct.

Also i have fresh installed windows and done multiple virus scans. The fresh install made it work SLIGHTLY better than before but still not great and my computer is virus free.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/MasonV1996
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MasonV1996, Apr 1, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Apr 1, 2020
  3. little cat, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Mathragh Win User

Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty?

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty?

1. Unsure if my Hard Drive or RAM is Faulty? - Similar Threads - Unsure Hard Drive

2. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?: Hello So i had a question early about a my windows 10 being corrupt spent the last couple of hours fiddling with my pc and got to the stage where i realise 4 sticks of ram breaks my pc causing me bluescreens and infinite boot loops. Tried it with 1 stick 2 stick and 3 sticks...
  3. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?: Hello So i had a question early about a my windows 10 being corrupt spent the last couple of hours fiddling with my pc and got to the stage where i realise 4 sticks of ram breaks my pc causing me bluescreens and infinite boot loops. Tried it with 1 stick 2 stick and 3 sticks...
  4. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  6. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  7. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Is my RAM incompatible or faulty?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my RAM incompatible or faulty?: Never mind, I'm being dumb. 148969
  9. Win10x64 1803: Full Format of Hard Drives Faulty?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10x64 1803: Full Format of Hard Drives Faulty?: A few days back I got a slew of disk errors in Event Viewer and quickly backed up the drive in question and started testing it. Before that, I checked and the only errors in the SMART data were crc errors, which do not normally indicate a failing drive, especially in the...
  10. Question about faulty ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about faulty ram: My laptop has been freezing randomly lately and I've been trying to find the cause of the freezes. I've ran HP diagnostics a few times and one test came back as: [img] But the all the other times It passed and I also ran memtest last night which showed 0 errors? Can a RAM...