Windows 10: Untie digital license from a motherboard

Discus and support Untie digital license from a motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! Win 10 pro using now. So long story short: I bought a motherboard from a friend who have digital license on the motherboard that now i have. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10problem, Jul 5, 2021.

1. 10problem Win User

Untie digital license from a motherboard

Hello! Win 10 pro using now. So long story short: I bought a motherboard from a friend who have digital license on the motherboard that now i have. I want to untie the motherboard from that digital license and register it with my MS account. Win is now registered, but with his MS account and he have a couple more PC's registered in the same account. Before i register the motherboard with my account i want to untie it from his account. I made a research and find out that this digital license is tied with the motherboard serial number, system ID and other stuff. Further I found out that this info is stored in the motherboard bios. (Or can be stored somewhere else on motherboard and all my work to be useless?) The motherboard is Asus, and I found a tool that can edit bios image files for Asus motherboards. So I made image file of the bios with that tool and software that can copy/write/erase data to bios chips. As on the picture now I can see bunch of stuff written in the bios covered with green. Basicly I want to change everything and rewrite the bios on motherboard. What and will anything happen if lets just say I change something from the first 5 green lines, but keeping the structure as it is? Just changing the letters and/or numbers, but keeping the same lenght and symbols if there are any. For example: BIOS date: 2010.01.01 (original) and change it to: BIOS date: 2015.05.05. Or: ME version: 9.9.2001 (1.1) and change it to: ME version: 3.4.2005 (1.7). I care only of the functionality of the motherboard. I understand that there can be some issues with the motherboard if I want to update the bios or something like that, but I'm not gona do that or upgrade the motherboard. It will stay as it is. It doesn't even have external video card Just for some very basic gaming for the kids, thats all. It works just fine for the job I need it. So I will change System UUID keeping the same number of digits and spaces, because i read Windows is using that info to connect digital license to this motherboard, also motherboard serial number. Also Motherboard S/N keeping the same 15 digit number, but just different. And this question pop up just now, can Microsoft detect my motherboard by Primary card MAC address? If yes I will change that too, I have 2 lan cards from old pc that for some reason are not working, but i can read their MAC address, so I will just copy the MAC address from one of these lan cards, will it work that way? I know MAC address you can't just type any random, so I will use one of the broken lan cards. I have recovered many bricked motherboards in the past 2-3 years, but I never changed any of these info in the bios image files. I don't have Win 10 license now but I will buy one after I resolve this "problem", also it will be my first one. I just don't want to see this "Activate windows" watermark anymore. Also another interesting for me question, can he see my MAC address or IP from his account when he log in there? So, after all this, what I have to change in bios to completely untie the motherboard from his digital license? I just don't want any connection with his account. He may have an option to remove this PC or delete this digital license or transfer it to another machine, but I want it to be just as if I bought a new motherboard from a store with no connections at all, lets just say Microsoft may keep history ... Long story short? Sorry, that just gone too long. Thanks in advance!

:)

10problem, Jul 5, 2021

2. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware (motherboard, cpu ram)

Hello,

I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows
    on this device, Try again later.

Prior to changing my hardware I double checked my digital license, The activation said "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If I run 'winver' It also lists the produced is licensed to my Microsoft account.

According to this article below, All I should have to do is goto the activation troubleshooter and everything should work.

Article Link: Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

What are my next steps?

Thanks.

JonathanTC92, Jul 5, 2021
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 5, 2021
  4. Untie digital license from a motherboard

Circumvent a digital license?

We bought a Dell Inspiron that shipped with Windows 10 Home installed and a digital license. I am trying to get Windows 10 Pro on it so I can join our domain. I've tried entering our legitimate Pro key, and I'm told it isn't valid. Anytime I try a clean install, it, as expected, skips the OS choice and goes right to Home. I have no option to pick.

I'm also struggling to find a Windows 10 Pro (only Pro) .iso.

So, any suggestions on how to get around this? I'd love to wipe the digital license clean, but I believe that's stored on the motherboard.

DeaconFrost, Jul 5, 2021
Thema:

Untie digital license from a motherboard

1. Untie digital license from a motherboard - Similar Threads - Untie digital license

2. Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu: Hi! I have a laptop which came with a Windows 8 digital license. So when upgrading to Windows 10 the activation went automatically. The motherboard have a soldered Core i5, but I would like to upgrade it to a Core i7. My issue becoming that I have to change it to a...
  3. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license: I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device...
  4. Digital License

Digital License: I recently bought a new computer from a distributer and I need to swap the product key from my old one, but since it was upgraded to windows 10 I don't have a product key and I can't find the digital license anywhere. How can I get it?...
  5. Digital License

Digital License: I upgraded my windows 8.1 to win 10 now I reinstall a new version of Windows 10 because changing my HDD to SSD, I lost my Digital License and I don't remember what was the version of my windows (home or pro), and unfortunately, I didn't connect my License with a Microsoft...
  6. Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap

Digital License Transfer Following Motherboard Swap: Hello, I have today finally made the leap from the Blue CPU company to the Red One and, aside from the stock cooler, it's going excellently, thank you for asking. I was reliably informed by most of the internet that if my license was valid for a digital transfer, I'd be...
  7. Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard: Hi, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need to activate...
  8. How to untie pc from Windows 10 license on activation server

How to untie pc from Windows 10 license on activation server: Hi! I have a retail Windows 10 license I want to transfer to my new pc. How can I untie it from my previous pc? I uninstalled the key by using slmgr /upk -command. It uninstalled succesfully but when I formatted and re-installed Windows on my old pc it just took the key...
  9. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.: Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over to the new motherboard. After further troubleshooting, BSODs, and Resetting the PC out of frustration to get a clean...
  10. Digital license

Digital license: My Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license. My system type is 32-bit OS on x64-based processor. Recently I found out that I can't use SQL localDB 2016 or later because it demands x64 type of OS. How can I reinstall Windows 10 without losing my digital license?...