Windows 10: "Until space is needed" in File History does not work

Discus and support "Until space is needed" in File History does not work in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; "Until space is needed" in File History is selected but does not work. There is now 0 space free in the external drive. I have repeatedly had this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cathy, Mar 25, 2018.

1. cathy Win User

"Until space is needed" in File History does not work

"Until space is needed" in File History is selected but does not work. There is now 0 space free in the external drive.
    I have repeatedly had this problem.
    By the way, I have seen Microsoft suggest running SFC and DISM to solve this problem. I have run those and they have shown no problems.
    What do I need to do to get the "until space is needed" option to work?

:)

cathy, Mar 25, 2018
  2. Catbill Win User

"until space is needed" in File History does not work

"Until space is needed" in File History is selected but does not work. There is now 0 space free in the external drive.

I have repeatedly had this problem and have had to manually delete files each time. I am tired of this.

By the way, I have seen Microsoft suggest running SFC and DISM to solve this problem. I have run those and they have shown no problems.

What do I need to do to get the "until space is needed" option to work?

Please don't paste answers that don't address this specific question.

Catbill, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Backup File History filling disc and not auto deleting

What do you mean "no such auto delete option"? I selected "keep saved versions until space is needed". Is this not an auto delete function? What happens then? It seems that File History gets to the "space needed" threshold, and then stops working. I
    rely on File History to work for me, and I noticed incidentally that it stopped working 1 week ago! If I can't rely on it working and I have to constantly check to see if it's still working, then it's a useless program.

JerryAbrams, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Steve C Win User

I find File History is buggy. I now just use the option save versions up to 1 month.

Steve C, Mar 26, 2018
Thema:

1. "Until space is needed" in File History does not work - Similar Threads - Until space needed

2. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it should delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  3. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it should delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  4. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it will delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  5. File History Does Not Work

File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...
  6. file history does not seem to be working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history does not seem to be working correctly: This past June I got an update that killed my file history backups to my NAS I have spent many hours since trying to get it functioning correctly again. Prior, I was backing up three drives. On my NAS' folder, I had three drive letters plus $of. It took forever for the...
  7. File History - Save Until Space is Needed

File History - Save Until Space is Needed: I have File History set to backup every hour and save backups until space is needed. Backups go to a 2T external HD. When space is needed, is File History supposed to make space my overwriting the oldest items? What happens for me is that when space runs out on the...
  8. File history until space is needed

File history until space is needed: I would like to know how file history handles the following case. File history, configured with Until space is needed, needs to delete one file to free up space on an external drive. Which file is deleted? File A, current version, 4/20/2019 File A, minus 1 version,...
  9. File hitory until space is needed

File hitory until space is needed: I would like to know how file history handles the following case. File history, configured with Until space is needed, needs to delete one file to free up space on an external drive. Which file is deleted? File A, current version, 4/20/2019 File A, minus 1 version,...
  10. File History needs fixed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History needs fixed: My file history quit backing up as for third party doing it thats wrong in my mind I don't have much to lose but if I was A small business what to do can't it be backed up buy A external drive Just very frustrating to me I'm not A /P.C.\ person except here in the last nine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File History > Keep Saved Versions:... Until Space Needed

2. file history until space is needed