Windows 10: Unusable blank desktop after update.

Discus and support Unusable blank desktop after update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am having a problem with my Windows installation; since the last update, yesterday, my computer boots up to a blank, unusable desktop. Nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leunam12, Feb 23, 2020.

1. leunam12 Win User

Unusable blank desktop after update.

Hello, I am having a problem with my Windows installation; since the last update, yesterday, my computer boots up to a blank, unusable desktop. Nothing works except the mouse (I can move it and that's it). My Desktop shortcuts are not there and the only way to fix it is uninstalling the update.

This is a custom computer.
    Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H97-D3H
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    RAM: 8GB
    Windows: 10.0.17763.831

Any help?
    Thanks

:)

leunam12, Feb 23, 2020

2. Blank and Flashing Desktop

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing some issues regarding your computer desktop. Let me help you resolving the issue.

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Display driver and check if it works for you.
    Refer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 23, 2020
  3. O0mix0O Win User
    O0mix0O, Feb 23, 2020
  4. Juzar_Ali Win User

Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Unusable blank desktop after update. - Similar Threads - Unusable blank desktop

2. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Desktop: I turned on my surface laptop this morning and it prompted me to sign in to windows, even when the face recognition was working. I followed the instructions and when finished, I went back to my desktop and it was almost blank. Only had an icon of google earth, Chrome, Edge...
  3. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Desktop: I turned on my surface laptop this morning and it prompted me to sign in to windows, even when the face recognition was working. I followed the instructions and when finished, I went back to my desktop and it was almost blank. Only had an icon of google earth, Chrome, Edge...
  4. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. my desktop had gone blank after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my desktop had gone blank after update: After update my HP desktop window 10 went blank when I login. Is it due to malware? How do I resolve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-had-gone-blank-after-update/c63d7c44-e554-4e28-a007-94b7a245ab5c
  6. Desktop is blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop is blank: When I start up my computer, the desktop is blank except for the taskbar. I run Explorer, and the icons populate the desktop. It's been that way for a couple of days. What did I do, and what should I do now?...
  7. Desktop partly unusable.

Desktop partly unusable.: I'm running an up to date Windows 10 x 64 with dual monitors which was fine until 15 minutes ago. Now right click does not work on upper 2/3 of my desktop and all icons have moved down and can not be moved up. Strangely my Rocket Dock is still sitting at the top and working...
  8. LibreOffice unusable after the latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    LibreOffice unusable after the latest update: After a long bugware free time there ir another faulty update. The system loads incredibly slowly, logging on gives you a few minutes of black screen before you can actually start working and LibreOffice is unusable. Yes and I use that program for work, not for fun, so I...
  9. blank screens after update.

blank screens after update.: after the last windows update i can no longer see some windows. the problem windows appears as a bank white canvas. This was happening with Visual studio but i was able to fix with making some aplication adjustments but it happens with general windows like the VSIX installer....
  10. Unused desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unused desktop icons?: Hello, after I played a game, I found that the icons in my desktop were different, I keep always them all together, I never have an empty space between them, but I found some empty space between them and I am afraid Windows alone deleted something and I don't understand...