Windows 10: Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop

Discus and support Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Just wondering if this is possible On Desktop computer have OODLES of storage and multi-media file but slow Wifi card. Laptop (new)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop

Hi there

Just wondering if this is possible

On Desktop computer have OODLES of storage and multi-media file but slow Wifi card.

Laptop (new) has mega fast Wifi - AC 5GHZ. Almost as fast as LAN.

Want to chromecast some movies to a TV in a friends house.

Can I direct Wire the laptop to the desktop so I can share the multimedia files and then use the laptops fast Wifi to beam it to the remote TV via chromecast.

I can't run Lan cables all over the place - but if a direct connection can allow me to use the WIFI adapter of the laptop then problem solved.

What sort of cable do I need -- I don't believe you can just stick a bit of Lan cable between the two computers (or can you).

Years ago there was a thing called LAPLINK -- relied on old serial COM ports --that would be too slow - and in any case no COM ports on these computers.

Any ideas --I don't care if it's "Heath Robinson" --it's not a permanent setup - but we want to watch a load of movies etc and his wifi isn't fast enough (the ISP internet service is superfine and his router is capable of high wifi speed), --We've been banished to his shed where the computer is - because the women want to do something else !!!!.

Note - normal sharing works but is a bit of an abysmal failure since I can only get about 500 Kbs -not Mbs !!!!!) from his wifi card on the desktop so normal sharing is TOO slow. The data won't get delivered to the laptops wifi fast enough to watch the movies without re-buffering every few secs - especially if it's 1080p with subtitles that usually need transcoding on the fly).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2016

2. Is it possible to setup homegroup in windows 8/8.1 or 10 between 2 devices (laptop and desktop) connected via wireless and wired

Is it possible to setup homegroup in windows 8/8.1 or 10 between 2 devices (laptop and desktop) connected via wireless and wired

Thanks

ihatevengeance, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Is it possible to setup homegroup in windows 8/8.1 or 10 between 2 devices (laptop and desktop) connected via wireless and wired

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, it's possible to set homegroup in windows 8/8.1 or 10 between 2 devices (laptop and desktop) connected via wireless and wired.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Feb 12, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Feb 12, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Addition to above: If both devices support it and the ports are designed for it. sorry.

Cliff S, Feb 12, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

HDMI is MEDIA - and Internet sharing is still limited by the SLOW wifi of the desktop.

The problem is to receive data from the desktop at a decent enough rate so the laptop cam transmit it with its much superior wifi card.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It was a thought, I never tried it, my HDMI Ethernet cable for PC to TV is rated 1GB.

Cliff S, Feb 12, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

This looks as if it will work -- a LAN CROSSOVER cable

2m Crossover Ethernet / Patch Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Will try this --only 5 EUR once I get the scandalous VAT back from UK --we're out of the EU so doable. Amazon UK delivers OK usually here within a day or two -- will just watch UK footie and drink booze this time !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2016
  9. Phone Man Win User
    After you get your crossover cable look in Program & Features and under Turn Windows Features on and off and activate Telnet Clint and see if that would work with communication between the two. I used that many years ago to share between systems.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Feb 12, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for the tip -- I'd forgotten about that although telnet is still useful of course.

Amazing how some of the early "Low Tech" solutions can still provide decent answers to these sorts of problems. !!!

BTW in new laptops and Surface Pro tablets the built in WIFI is FAST -- I don't think I'll be the only one doing this sort of thing -- I'm not lugging a big desktop around to plug directly into a TV and I don't think the bus on the mobos of some of the older desktops would benefit anyway by changing a Wifi card -- the internel gigabyte one (LAN) will work for fast connectionto the laptop while the SATA HDD's will deliver the files to the laptop's wifi fast enough. I really don't want LAN cables all over the place so this solution looks ideal for some situations. Much easier moving a laptop !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2016
  11. Phone Man Win User
    Let us know when you get it working and the actual setup. May need it in the future.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop - Similar Threads - Unusal request Direct

2. Switch laptops between desktops?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch laptops between desktops?: With Windows 10 there is the possibility to switch between "desktops". So not different monitors, but virtual desktops to work structured. Now I have the problem that if I start an application in Desktop 1 (e.g. Discord) and then swap to Desktop 2 before Discord has fully...
  3. Connection between laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connection between laptops: Hey all, just need some quick help where the windows forums aren't. Two laptops, one old one new. Need to transfer files across the two and would like to just do it via network but for some reason Lan and home group is just gone. What are my options? submitted by...
  4. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop: I have a HP desktop that has a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via cable. I also have a Dell laptop with a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via Wifi. Both are running Windows 10. However neither can "see" the other's...
  5. Wired connection works on Laptop, not Desktop (Daily, Intermittent)

Wired connection works on Laptop, not Desktop (Daily, Intermittent): Howdy All, I am having an issue with desktop work computers that will not connect to the internet via Ethernet cable. When I test the same cable connected with my laptop, the internet works flawlessly. The desktop issue usually only comes up once a day, and for around 30...
  6. Unable to connect my desktop to the internet via wired connection.

Unable to connect my desktop to the internet via wired connection.: apparently i am missing a network driver, i tried diverpack offline and easydriver, all of them said i already had everything installed. I went to Intel's website to install the newest drivers and it said i am missing a internet adapter. any suggestions. i was going to bring...
  7. Desktop PC cannot connect to wired internet connection.

Desktop PC cannot connect to wired internet connection.: Hello I need help getting connected to the internet. I have searched for a solution but nothing has helped. I have had no network connection for about a month now. Network trouble shooter cannot correct the problem. says there my be a problem with my ethernet driver....
  8. How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop?

How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop?: Up front, I am not an expert on this: as a single user with standalone PC I had nothing to do with 'sharing' stuff. Have been puzzling about the below for many hours now and maybe, what I want, isn't possible. Don't know. I would like to sync folders between my desktop PC...
  9. Desktop partly unusable.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop partly unusable.: I'm running an up to date Windows 10 x 64 with dual monitors which was fine until 15 minutes ago. Now right click does not work on upper 2/3 of my desktop and all icons have moved down and can not be moved up. Strangely my Rocket Dock is still sitting at the top and working...
  10. Unused desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unused desktop icons?: Hello, after I played a game, I found that the icons in my desktop were different, I keep always them all together, I never have an empty space between them, but I found some empty space between them and I am afraid Windows alone deleted something and I don't understand...