Windows 10: Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result.

Discus and support Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have recently been noticing that random system processes such as SearchUI.exe and LockApp.exe are eating enormous amounts of CPU power when they have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by A-MAN_190, Nov 20, 2019.

1. A-MAN_190 Win User

Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result.

I have recently been noticing that random system processes such as SearchUI.exe and LockApp.exe are eating enormous amounts of CPU power when they have never done so before. A virus scan revealed no malicious software on the computer. I noticed this happened after installing an update, could it be a result of the update? My disk usage and ram usage are completely normal, it's just these two processes seem to be hogging the CPU for some reason when they weren't before. Taskkill is worthless because Windows will just restart these processes if I kill them, plus it's kinda hard to log in and out when your login manager is offline. Anyhow, all of your help is appreciated. Thanks!

:)

A-MAN_190, Nov 20, 2019
  2. deadalos Win User

"System" process with high CPU usage

I have exactly the same issue (high CPU usage) on a brand new HP ProBook 440 G5 (i7-8550U, pre-installed Win 10 Pro).

I am pretty sure that there is a problem with audio drivers when the computer wakes up from a sleep mode. I first observed that process flow.exe (audio bloatware provided by HP/Conexant) was consuming (after waking up) ~10–15 % CPU. Here's what I did:

• I have updated Windows to 1709, build 16229.251 and installed all updates --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have updated BIOS to the latest version provided by HP. --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have run Windows troubleshooting and HP Support Assistant checks --> No problems found, nothing has changed
    • I have manually updated Conexant ISST Audio Drivers (via Device Manager -> Update drivers). Windows installed a newer version. -->
      CPU usage by flow.exe has disappeared, but process called System in thread ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 started consuming ~20 % CPU.
    • I have uninstalled all Conexant software&drivers and manually installed generic High Definition Audio Device drivers provided by Microsoft (Driver Date: 21.02.2018). --> ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 still consumes ~20 % CPU.

Same issues are discussed in these threads on HP site:

The result is I cannot use sleep mode (as advised by this post:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/ProBook-450-with-high-CPU-usage/m-p/6611446/highlight/true#M149605
    ).

deadalos, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Amir Abdi Win User
    Fake high CPU usage - High fan usage - Windows 10

Since windows updated 2 weeks ago, my laptop fan is always at its top speed and won't slow down.

Checking the task manager, in the "Processes" tab, I see that CPU usage is at 99%. However, the sum of my processes doesn't match this value. Interestingly, the process that takes a lot of CPU clock is task manager itself (but I assume that is irrelevant).

So, I checked "Process Explorer", and the results are totally different: "System Idle Process" takes about 95% of CPU usage, which is what I wanted to see. So, my CPU usage is below 5%.

I don't understand this inconsistency between the two software. I also tried CAM (CAM | Free PC Monitoring Software | NZXT), and its values matche the "Process Explorer".

Since my laptop fan does not slow down, I have a theory: there is no process utilizing the CPU, but there is a bug in the new update of windows 10 which has resulted in miscalculation of CPU utilization. As a result of this, BIOS is assuming a high utilization
    and is sending commands to the fan to cool down the CPU.

I tried to update my drivers, but Intel auto updater only detected my Wireless and Intel HD Graphics card drivers to be out of date and updated those (which had no effect on my issue).

Btw, my CPU temperature is at 75 degree according to CAM.

System specs:

Windows 10,

Intel Core i7-3610QM, 2300MHz, Ivy Bridge, BIOS Date 05/05/2012

Lenovo Ideapad Y480

Amir Abdi, Nov 20, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result.

CPU jumps to 100 and fans sound like jet engines

Use Resource Monitor (from task manager) - example- Avast manually scanning folder- you can see the files it's reading.

Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result. [​IMG]

dalchina, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Unusally high CPU usage by system processes. Fan running like a jet engine as a result. - Similar Threads - Unusally high CPU

2. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  3. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  4. CPU on high usage and fans on "JET ENGINE", stops when opening taskmanager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU on high usage and fans on "JET ENGINE", stops when opening taskmanager: Hello,I have this problem that occurs the sec. my laptop reaches Windows 11 logon screen, CPU usage is very high and fans spin like crazy to cool it off and this persists for hours if I let it. The funny thing is that it stops the sec. I open task manager and if it stays open...
  5. CPU on high usage and fans on "JET ENGINE", stops when opening taskmanager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU on high usage and fans on "JET ENGINE", stops when opening taskmanager: Hello,I have this problem that occurs the sec. my laptop reaches Windows 11 logon screen, CPU usage is very high and fans spin like crazy to cool it off and this persists for hours if I let it. The funny thing is that it stops the sec. I open task manager and if it stays open...
  6. High CPU usage by process called "System"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage by process called "System": I have a brand-new DELL XPS 9500 and about half of the time the process called "System" uses between 10 and 15% CPU which is enough to make the computer very hot and that the fans turn at 70% capacity until I reboot the laptop. Dell support said that the use of the...
  7. System Idle Process High CPU Usage

System Idle Process High CPU Usage: I had a Windows 7 Professional and then thought about upgrading to Windows 10 since Windows 7 is coming to end. When I upgraded to Windows 10 i got a random Blue Screen. My PC restarted i opened Task Manager and there it is 100% CPU Usage non-stop. Its really annoying i read...
  8. system process high cpu usage

system process high cpu usage: so i went to task manager and i saw system process has high cpu usage and it was after when i connected 2 monitors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-process-high-cpu-usage/f6b03902-5c5d-45ad-a4b1-3087455f1c83
  9. CPU jumps to 100 and fans sound like jet engines

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU jumps to 100 and fans sound like jet engines: I purchased this laptop off of Amazon, "Dell Inspiron i5577-7342BLK-PUS,15.6" Gaming Laptop, (Intel Core i7,16GB,512GB SSD),NVIDIA GTX 1050." http://a.co/cAI7fCE I've noticed that the cpu randomly jumps to 100 and the fans start blowing like crazy over simple tasks like...
  10. 'System' process high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    'System' process high CPU usage: Hello, Since the past 3-4 days the process called 'System' has been constantly using approximately 35% of my CPU. The usage is pretty much constant all the time. Below you can find screenshots from task manager, resource monitor and process explorer. In the past I've...