Windows 10: Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

Discus and support Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 Kingston 16GB flash memory sticks. One of them (along with 9 other USB flash memory sticks I have) get mounted as drive G: by Windows. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pokeefe0001, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

I have 2 Kingston 16GB flash memory sticks. One of them (along with 9 other USB flash memory sticks I have) get mounted as drive G: by Windows. The other Kinsgton drive gets mounted as I:. In the past, both Kingston devices acted just like all my other USB flash memory drives, but I've obviously don't something to the one. I may have had it formatted as an NTFS drive, but I've reformatted it to FAT32. I've re-reformatted it using the "Restore device defaults". Nothing seems to help. As near as I can see its characteristics are identical to the other Kingston drive.

This is obviously not an earth-shaking problem, but I'd like to know what I've done, why Windows is reacting to whatever I've done, and whether it presages problems with this device.

And by the way, how does Windows decide what drive letter to assign to a USB drive? I know it picks a different letter for FAT32 and NTFS drives so there must be some sort of logic process going on.

:)

pokeefe0001, Mar 26, 2017

2. OK to remove a large Recovery Partition to create extra space?

I created a USB Recovery Drive. At the end I chose the option to delete the Recovery Partition. This deleted the large Recovery Partition converting it into another drive which I can now use. It is unusual the way half of a 1 TB HDD is given over to a
    Recovery Partition occupying only 9 GB on a flash drive.

BrianHeeney, Mar 26, 2017
  3. Trying to get Windows 10 to accept USB Devise to download pictures.

It is like a flash drive that you insert a memory card into the usb devise

Mary Mansfield_988, Mar 26, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

I've not noticed that to happen with all the USB Thumb/Flash drives, keep the drives formatted as they come. I have have noticed at times where the port involved has an effect on the drive lettering.

Berton, Mar 26, 2017
  5. I just went into Disk Management and tried messing around with drive letter assignment. I tried deleting the letter assignment (I*Smile for this device, but Windows took that very literally. It no longer assigned any drive letter to the device. I then changed the assigned letter to G: - the same as is dynamically assigned by Windows to all my other USB flash memory drives, but I assume that Windows will now try to use G: for this device even if it has reason to switch to H: for other USB drives.

Apparently there is something (in the registry?) that is mapping some identifying hardware characteristic of this device to the assigned drive letter. Or maybe something stored in the device itself. (Something that is note restored when restoring to factory defaults.)

6. For the drive listed as I:. did you ever plug it in when another device was using G:? The Windows registry does some weird things when it comes to remembering things. Perhaps the registry is reading the I: device's signature and associating it with drive I:?

Gurn Blanston, Mar 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Drives have serial numbers so windows is able to tell two apparently identical USB drives apart. AFAIK it just assigns the first available letter to a new drive, you probably already had one plugged in when you first connected it.

The way to tell windows to forget its ever seen a USB drive is to go into Device Manager. Tick 'show hidden devices' under 'View' and every USB you've used will be listed under 'Disk drives'. Uninstall the one you want it to forget.

8. Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

Hah! Thank you. I've got 12 different USD flash drives listed - 6 different Display Names. Some of the names were unique and easy to match to a device. Others (like 2 "General UDisk USB Device" and 5 "Generic Flash Disk USB Device") are not so easy. So for the time being I won't delete any of them. But if any device shows up with the "wrong" drive letter, I now know how to fix it.

9. Bree New Member
    To ID a USB, just plug one in and its icon will go from grey to black.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

1. Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive - Similar Threads - Unusual behavior USB

2. Unusual PC Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusual PC Behavior: Hello. I have been having problems with my computer constantly freezing and crashing. I have tried many things to fix this issue, including:1. Cleaning my registry with trusted software2. Updating all of my drivers,3. Removing junk files4. Using the sfc/ scannow and dskchk...
  3. Unusual PC Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unusual PC Behavior: Hello. I have been having problems with my computer constantly freezing and crashing. I have tried many things to fix this issue, including:1. Cleaning my registry with trusted software2. Updating all of my drivers,3. Removing junk files4. Using the sfc/ scannow and dskchk...
  4. Unusual Screen Behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unusual Screen Behavior: Hello everyone! I was encountering this problem not too long ago with my Windows 10 Acer Aspire A514-53. Every time I turn on my PC, a straight horizontal purple line at the bottom part of the screen keeps on blinking and lasts for at least 30 seconds or more. This behavior...
  5. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  7. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  8. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...
  9. Unusual Hibernate Wake Behavior

Unusual Hibernate Wake Behavior: Recently i've had some strange issues with my computer waking from hibernate. I'm running a 6600k Gtx 1070 setup. The first time *yesterday* after waking from hibernate my graphics card? or driver did not start up or something. The screen never got a signal and i was forced...
  10. Unusual hard disk behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unusual hard disk behavior: The last week or so my laptop has had a lot of unusual disk activity. It used to be behave such that unless there was a background scan running or an app was actively being loaded, the hard drive was idle. Now it's constantly making noises as if it's running. It will do be...