Windows 10: Unusual HDD fault

Discus and support Unusual HDD fault in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Never seen an HDD fail in this way before. My System One below has been working well for years, but on a Restart it failed to boot. Simple, I thought,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bree, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Bree Win User

Unusual HDD fault

Never seen an HDD fail in this way before.

My System One below has been working well for years, but on a Restart it failed to boot. Simple, I thought, I'll just boot from my Macrium rescue USB and restore a recent image. However, while I could bring up the boot device menu using F12 and select the USB it wouldn't boot from that either. However long I waited it would just sit on a black screen.

The only way to get the PC to boot from anything, USB, CD/DVD or HDD was to remove the original HDD. Controller failure? Not on the motherboard at least, I replace the HDD with one containing an installed Windows 10 and that booted correctly. The machine could also boot from USB while any HDD (apart from the original one) was present.

OK, so it must be the internal controller of the HDD that was at fault. But here comes the really strange bit - put it in an external USB housing and it is fully functional (read and write) and Chkdsk says it's healthy, BUT....

....if this disk is left connected, even in the USB enclosure, no PC it is connected to can boot from anything, its own HDD or a USB.

I'm not looking for help to fix this HDD. As I said, the drive is fully read/write functional and currently being cloned to a spare known good HDD.

What I'm asking is whether any of the HDD Gurus have come across a fault as strange as this - and if so, can they explain what exactly has failed?

:)

Bree, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Unusual HDD fault

HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

Unusual HDD fault

1. Unusual HDD fault - Similar Threads - Unusual HDD fault

2. Unusual PC Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unusual PC Behavior: Hello. I have been having problems with my computer constantly freezing and crashing. I have tried many things to fix this issue, including:1. Cleaning my registry with trusted software2. Updating all of my drivers,3. Removing junk files4. Using the sfc/ scannow and dskchk...
  3. Unusual activity

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unusual activity: I have been receiving notices of unusual sign in activity . I changed my passed word today. I want to know if there is anything else I need to do or even if this is a legit email as it is coming in my junk mail. If there was someone to talk with the problem would have been...
  4. Unusual activity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusual activity: I have been receiving notices of unusual sign in activity . I changed my passed word today. I want to know if there is anything else I need to do or even if this is a legit email as it is coming in my junk mail. If there was someone to talk with the problem would have been...
  5. Unusual activity

6. Unusual Issue of license

Unusual Issue of license: Hi ViewersI tried to create a bootable os with Pendrive and when I restarted by machine it asked to select a drive and I don’t know which one I selected and after that my PC is saying Windows will expire soon and this never happened I had a permanent one.Please help...
  7. Unusual Email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unusual Email: Hello everyone, please i need your help. My LAN users, some of them check their email in the morning, they found an email, saved in draft folders, and it has an attachment called "FileAttachment.txt", but no one created that message. Some of the users came across this issue...
  8. Unusual BSODS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unusual BSODS: Hi I am having issues with my pc that had gone away for a few months but now are back with a vengeance. I've reinstalled every driver, reseated ram and gpu, reinstalled windows, removed all unnecessary hardware... I've even replaced my graphics card from a 2060 to 2070S....
  9. Unusual Fullscreen Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unusual Fullscreen Problem: I've encountered whats seems to be a problem that isn't very common since I can't find anything about it. Whenever I put any type of video (whether it be YouTube or an mp4 on my computer) into fullscreen it runs at like 15 frames but goes back to normal once it's windowed. It...
  10. Unusual Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unusual Account: Hi After seeing a popup message asking me to attend to some account issues, I noticed a new account that has been added but not by me. The account name is HolidayCalendars_A0088992-079B-BCCB-8E046D03..... Can anybody help identify what account this is? Was this added by...