Windows 10: Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10

Discus and support Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Attached is a screen shot (.docx) from WinDirStat program showing a huge 52GB file. It is a hidden file from windows explorer. But I was able to see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KLund1, Jul 23, 2018.

1. KLund1 Win User

Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10

Attached is a screen shot (.docx) from WinDirStat program showing a huge 52GB file.
    It is a hidden file from windows explorer. But I was able to see that is was created in 7/2017, and last accessed last week at about 1:30am local time. From a elevated DOS prompt, I was able to see the file with attribe command, and tried to delete it with attribe switches with 'del'. But I was not able to delete it. I am not a guru at this stuff though. hence this post.
    I was thinking it could be some virus that runs programs at night (bitcoin mining comes to mind), as there is not any performance loss during the day. Just running out of storage space. The computer works just fine.
    Or maybe the SSD is dying, and this is the bad n-and chips showing as a file. but I have never seen that before. This SSD is used just for typical office work. No gaming, OC'ing, etc.
    Suggestions, thoughts?
    Thanks

:)

KLund1, Jul 23, 2018
  2. Angela Pun Win User

Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 23, 2018
  3. techguy31 Win User
    64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Jul 23, 2018
  4. fkrllh00 Win User

win 10 and 22gb ssd

I have a laptop with 22gb ssd and 698 gb hdd. I uploaded the win 10 to ssd. I changed every locations of files c to d from settings and storage. But when i trying to install any application hhd d , the computer give me low storage place error. Also windows
    can't do uptadetes because of storage. What can i do?

fkrllh00, Jul 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Unusual SSD storage

2. SSD STORAGE DEPLETING AUTOMATICALLY

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD STORAGE DEPLETING AUTOMATICALLY: MY WINDOWS PC IS ACTING WEIRD, EACH TIME I BOOT MY PC. AFTER SEVERAL MINUTE MY SSD STORAGE STARTS DEPLETING AUTOMATICALLY! Initially I have 40 GB space, but after doing some work on it gets up to 15 GB and after 1 or 2 hrs it goes up to 1 GB. I don't understand why it is...
  3. Storage Spaces function in Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces function in Win 10 Pro: Hi Guys.. Been reading about Storage Spaces. All the examples use only 1 HDD....Can SS work with multiple HDD as primary, I mean I have 8 Hard Drives. I understand the pool concept, will the Mirror function mirror all 8 drives... How would one do this? All the examples...
  4. Win 10 Home default storage locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home default storage locations: I started using a new PC with Win10 Home installed. After a couple of days, I received a message saying my OneDrive space was almost full. When I looked into this I found the default location for my photos is a OneDrive folder. This was set automatically. When I try to change...
  5. Latest on SSD settings on Win-10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Latest on SSD settings on Win-10: Hello, Went through several posts and some external links on what to do for SSD drives under Windows-10 and it seems so confusing. What is the latest thought on this matter? Which services etc (if at all that is the case) need to be disabled? Optimize - Should I...
  6. Windows Explorer 100% RAM usage and 100% SSD usage on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer 100% RAM usage and 100% SSD usage on Windows 10.: Hi. Let me start by saying that this problem doesn't occur on Windows 7. I use VLC media player to record some streamings, which are saved as .ts files. When I want to watch them, I go to the documents folder and I have to wait about 90 seconds because Windows says "Working...
  7. Unusual Message at Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Unusual Message at Startup: Since creators update was installed a couple of days ago, I've been seeing this message on the screen during boot up, "Scanning and repairing drive , (followed by a bunch of things in parentheses), then ending with 100%" Then the machine finishes booting up. This happens all...
  8. SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive: I've researched high and low for a simple solution. I remember doing this on windows 7 with a registry hack back in the day, and it worked flawlessly. This is what I would like to do. I have a 500 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like all 600 gigs of user data to be on the HDD...
  9. New SSD for Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SSD for Win 10: Win 7 Pro currently installed on 126GB SSD. Only 20 GB capacity left. Plan to install new 500GB SSD as C Drive. Plan is to clone 126 SSD to 500 SSD, including Win 7 OS, before installing 10. Then install 10 to 500 GB SSD Does this seem like best way to go? Thanks 8944
  10. View Storage Usage of Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Storage Usage of Drives in Windows 10: Awesome as always, thanks for this. I stumbled upon this section the other day, but wasn't too sure how to use it. Now I know, from reading this. 2931