Windows 10: Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10

Discus and support Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Attached is a screen shot (.docx) from WinDirStat program showing a huge 52GB file. It is a hidden file from windows explorer. But I was able to see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KLund1, Jul 23, 2018.

1. KLund1 Win User

Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10

Attached is a screen shot (.docx) from WinDirStat program showing a huge 52GB file.
    It is a hidden file from windows explorer. But I was able to see that is was created in 7/2017, and last accessed last week at about 1:30am local time. From a elevated DOS prompt, I was able to see the file with attribe command, and tried to delete it with attribe switches with 'del'. But I was not able to delete it. I am not a guru at this stuff though. hence this post.
    I was thinking it could be some virus that runs programs at night (bitcoin mining comes to mind), as there is not any performance loss during the day. Just running out of storage space. The computer works just fine.
    Or maybe the SSD is dying, and this is the bad n-and chips showing as a file. but I have never seen that before. This SSD is used just for typical office work. No gaming, OC'ing, etc.
    Suggestions, thoughts?
    Thanks

:)

KLund1, Jul 23, 2018

2. Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 23, 2018
  3. techguy31 Win User
    64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Jul 23, 2018
  4. fkrllh00 Win User

win 10 and 22gb ssd

I have a laptop with 22gb ssd and 698 gb hdd. I uploaded the win 10 to ssd. I changed every locations of files c to d from settings and storage. But when i trying to install any application hhd d , the computer give me low storage place error. Also windows
    can't do uptadetes because of storage. What can i do?

fkrllh00, Jul 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Unusual SSD storage usage in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Unusual SSD storage

2. Highly to me unusual ram usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Highly to me unusual ram usage: I have tried many times over months to find what is causing this issue, but everything leads to a dead end. I heard standby is supposed to be decently high, but I don't think its supposed to be this high. I really don't want to upgrade my ram beyond how much I already have,...
  3. Highly to me unusual ram usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highly to me unusual ram usage: I have tried many times over months to find what is causing this issue, but everything leads to a dead end. I heard standby is supposed to be decently high, but I don't think its supposed to be this high. I really don't want to upgrade my ram beyond how much I already have,...
  4. Highly to me unusual ram usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unusual -System interrupt- CPU usage

Unusual -System interrupt- CPU usage: So...the problem is that i forgot that my laptop was on and it ran out of battery, so i charged it again; But after i turned it on, System interrupt was using 10-15% of CPU instead of 1-5%.So i did these:1-System diagnosticfrom MyAsus app2-System diagnosticfrom...
  6. Spontaneous Unusually High CPU Usage

Spontaneous Unusually High CPU Usage: So I am on a MacBook Pro running 64 bit Windows 10 via Bootcamp. It runs programs fairly well, but for some reason, starting today, nearly every program I run excluding browsers will cause nearly a 5 fold increase in CPU usage and extreme power consumption. This is extremely...
  7. unusual cpu usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unusual cpu usage: when i open task manager, or a little less than a second it displays cpu usage as an outrageous number like 65 or even as high as 75, but then goes back down in an instant, so i can’t see what’s taking up all that cpu usage. do i have a virus? submitted by /u/Bxxqueefius...
  8. Unusually high memory usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unusually high memory usage: [ATTACH] I am on a laptop(ASUS X540UB) and after I updated to the latest version of Windows 10, I noticed how high my memory usage was. I rolled back to my previous version of W10 and still this issue was present. Any thoughts on why this is? Task Manager( I am running...
  9. Unusually high RAM usage

Unusually high RAM usage: Over the past few days I've noticed a significant increase in RAM usage. What used to only be like 10 GB is now well over 50 gb. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unusually-high-ram-usage/1171a391-617e-4d3f-b3d6-7e1def1c90b2
  10. storage usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    storage usage: reserved storage usage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-usage/c344f71c-b28a-4e6a-a287-5dede390fe4c"