Windows 10: Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

Discus and support Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RobWiHa, Feb 6, 2023.

1. RobWiHa Win User

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a couple years old and that is about the time my laptop started slowing down. What are these files? Should I get rid of them? They dont seem to be part of any programs, but I really dont know what they are for. Computer information: Model: Dell Inspiron 5567 Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GH

:)

RobWiHa, Feb 6, 2023

2. Unusual hard disk behavior

I have power options set to never turn the hard disk off. So far the drive hasn't been shutting off, but the constant activity has continued.

This is my task manager processes sorted by most disk activity:

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. 60671d1485962345t-unusual-hard-disk-behavior-7448756diskactiv2.png

I also ran the Western Digital Diagnostics app and it passed the tests as you can see here:

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. 60669d1485962345t-unusual-hard-disk-behavior-1561675diagpass3.png

As suggested I'm in the process of backing up my drive, but I would certainly prefer it not die on me. *Sad

TeeJay3800, Feb 6, 2023
  3. Random folders appearing to my new hard drive

In process explorer right click on columns > select columns > process disk tab > enable disk delta write bytes
    Order the process list by disk delta write bytes columns and monitor which process springs on top when files and folders are being created.
    If it's one of the svchost.exe instances then look at it's modules and threads in the lower pane to detect the culprit.

BiggieShady, Feb 6, 2023
  4. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

Unusual hard disk behavior

I uninstalled Avast and switched to Windows Defender for the time being. Unfortunately that did not cure the weird HDD activity. You can clearly see the spikes every couple of seconds in this screen shot:

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. 60883d1485962419t-unusual-hard-disk-behavior-4661518disk1.png

That pattern continues indefinitely until the PC is shut down.

These are the apps I've installed since the first of the year:

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. 60885d1485962419t-unusual-hard-disk-behavior-9015637apps1.png

I don't see anything there that would cause constant disk activity, but I do think narrowing down possible causes is a good idea. I'm certainly open to suggestions. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. :) Thanks for your help so far.

TeeJay3800, Feb 6, 2023
Thema:

Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

1. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive. - Similar Threads - Unusually large folders

2. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  3. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  4. Unusual icons on disk drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusual icons on disk drives: Hi Sir!Sir as you can clearly see in the picture there are unusual icons on my disk drives C and D. I don't know why....Please kindly help me to solve my issue.Thanks in advance...
  5. Unusual icons on disk drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusual icons on disk drives: Hi Sir!Sir as you can clearly see in the picture there are unusual icons on my disk drives C and D. I don't know why....Please kindly help me to solve my issue.Thanks in advance...
  6. Unusual icons on disk drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  8. Find large *folders* on hard disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Find large *folders* on hard disks: My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these folders in windows. Trying to search via Win Explorer Search option: "size:gigantic kind:=folder", simply doesn't work. It...
  9. Installing a large hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a large hard disk: Hello! If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not manage to install it correctly. Unfortunately I live far from him and I will have the chance to visit him at weekend. Before...
  10. Unusual hard disk behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unusual hard disk behavior: The last week or so my laptop has had a lot of unusual disk activity. It used to be behave such that unless there was a background scan running or an app was actively being loaded, the hard drive was idle. Now it's constantly making noises as if it's running. It will do be...