Windows 10: Unusually long boot time

Discus and support Unusually long boot time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I can't quite get a handle on this issue. Why would having USB drives attached to system increase boot time from 8 seconds to 110 seconds? Never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by f14tomcat, May 22, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Unusually long boot time

I can't quite get a handle on this issue.

Why would having USB drives attached to system increase boot time from 8 seconds to 110 seconds? Never happened on old 560 box, but does on new 3847. Dell says, "That's the way it is". Sounds odd. Nothing in UEFI/BIOS for any Fastboot option. HHmmmm.....

Does not happen on re-start, just power up boot, with or without Fast Startup enabled.

BIOS boot sequence is DVD/USB/HDD. Latest American Megatrends firmware, A07 (3/5/15).

Tried disabling USB boot support, placing USB last in list, UEFI on and off. Nothing seems to affect it. Unplug all USB external drives and cold boot is 8 seconds! Plug back in and boot is around 110 seconds! Must be an answer out there somewhere!!!

Oh, and secondly.... Does anybody know how to take a screenshot of the BIOS screens?

Thanks.....

:)

f14tomcat, May 22, 2015

2. Download response time is unusually long... request delivery wait time is excessive or delayed

Hi Rayminsky,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer.

The download of Windows 10 depends on the speed of the internet. Also since this is the last day of the upgrade, and many are trying to download, you might have issues in downloading the software.

You can download the ISO from the below link and try to install:

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

Download Windows 10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

Windows 10 Manual Upgrade & Installation

Please find the below link to know "How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation"

How to: Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows 10 Installation

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, May 22, 2015
  3. Download response time is unusually long... request delivery wait time is excessive or delayed

After clicking on the Download button, it took about an hour for the Windows Update screen to appear. When it finally did, the progress bar appeared starting its progress animation but the % value indicating the amount being downloaded isn't incrementing,
    it has been at the 0% value for the last few hours; what's the problem?... High volume of requests demanded on the server? Has the request for downloading been received by Microsoft Server prior to the deadline?

thanks in advance...

RayminskyNyskovitch, May 22, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Unusually long boot time

USB are inherently slower to read than a SATA 6Gb/s SATA 3 HDD. It has to read the MBR.

Cliff S, May 22, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    But why only on cold boot, not re-start?

f14tomcat, May 22, 2015
  6. labeeman Win User
    Because Post does not give the spin command on a reboot it assumes the drives are already spinning.

labeeman, May 22, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Ok, I'm convinced it's a "by design" issue in newer BIOS/firmware. Old Dell 560 would sometimes wait (progressing green Explorer bar) the first time accessing an external USB drive, then, ok. New 3847 has never done that. Guess it gets all it's "who are you" stuff out of the way on boot, not during normal ops. I can live with all that, I just didn't know the "why", and it was driving me a little (more) bonkers! Will mark as solved, and thanks to all!! Have a good Memorial Day!*Biggrin

f14tomcat, May 22, 2015
  8. Dude Win User

Unusually long boot time

In my BIOS pressing F12 will save a screenshot to an attached usb. What model number is the new machine again? You said 3847, what is the full model number

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Inspiron Desktop | Dell

f14tomcat, May 22, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    I've seen this problem before, but on older systems.

My guess is that your system Is searching for a firmware upgrade or some other external boot process when you have a drive connected. You might try plugging it into a different port, as on some systems they specific a specific port for this purpose.

Mystere, May 22, 2015
  11. Dude Win User
    Good point there, the main drive needs to be connected to the port 0 or 1 whatever is lowest on your mainboard.

I will try and read up on the bios to see if it offers screen shots

12. f14tomcat Win User

Problem solved!

I have 3 1TB external USB drives. WD-2.0, Buffalo-2.0, and a Seagate-3.0. I had all 3 set to use write-cache in the device policy. All worked fine, but the older 2.0 drives set with write-cache caused the POST operations to initialize very slowly, setting up the OS buffers, etc. Those older drives are not really designed to use write-cache, default policy is no cache, so when I set the 2.0 drives to no write-cache and left the 3.0 Seagate (fast drive) to use write-cache, boot time went from 120 seconds down to 9 seconds. Got the timings from Task Manager/Startup in upper right corner, Last BIOS Time.

Go figure! No big deal at all, cause the 2.0 drives are used for movie/photo/junk archive only and the Seagate is my backup drive.

Thanks to all for the input. It was an indirect hint from @Mystere that got me thinking when he said "older systems".

f14tomcat, May 23, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

Unusually long boot time

Why don't you set HDD 0 as first boot device ? Might shave a second or two of boot time between button press and BIOS display.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unusually long boot time

1. Unusually long boot time - Similar Threads - Unusually long boot

2. Long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  3. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  4. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stuck at welcome screen for unusually long period of time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at welcome screen for unusually long period of time: Hi, I have been having this issue for quite a long time now. It started post a windows update if I am not wrong. So whenever I restart my PC and enter my pin, it gets stuck for around 10 minutes in the welcome screen. I tried solving this issue using dskchk, DISM tool and...
  6. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long boot time: Hey guys, how's it going? I've been experiencing huge performance issues when booting Windows on. My laptop used to boot-up in about <15s when it was brand new and it stayed this way until I've updated Windows Build. It came out of factory as ver. 1803, when I've updated it...
  7. Long Booting time of windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long Booting time of windows: Hey , I am using a HP 15-ac122tu model laptop and it takes a long time to boot up around 30 min or long.Windows 10 is my operating system and when it's opened i experience more lag than never before.What should i do I tried some fixes on youtube but none of the worked....
  8. Long Boot or Long Login Times with ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long Boot or Long Login Times with ssd: For some reason when I boot from scratch I either get a black screen for over 30 seconds or it goes the the login screen and it takes forever to login. Hibernation doesn't have this problem. Cpu:Ryzen 5 3500u Model:HP 15-cw1068wm submitted by /u/gamingbro697 [link]...
  9. Long Boot Up Time

Long Boot Up Time: Help appreciated. Couple days ago, my PC took about 2 minutes or more to boot. Ran malware/Virus scans with no errors. After powering up, I notice that the Blue Windows Logo shows up twice on solid black background, with animated spinning dots (CW), then thereafter that goes...
  10. long boot times

long boot times: Whenever I reboot from the gui, or my computer reboots for any reason (updates/programs installs) my pc hangs at the BIOS screen for a long time and I have it set to show for only 2 seconds. [img] But when I cold boot or hard reset, its sub eight seconds. what do...