Windows 10: Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior

Discus and support Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Scenario I have 3 open windows: Visual Studio Code Microsoft Edge Terminal As a developer, it is common to alternate between these tabs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rick Stænley, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior

Scenario

I have 3 open windows:

• Visual Studio Code
    • Microsoft Edge
    • Terminal

As a developer, it is common to alternate between these tabs constantly. It is/was useful when alternating between these windows to change back to the previous viewed/focused window, not the subsequent window. For instance, imagine this flow:

Desired behavior:

[Alt + Tab] Edge → [Alt + Tab] VSCode → [Alt + Tab] Edge → VScode, done.

Undesired behavior:

[Alt + Tab] Edge → [Alt + Tab] VSCode → [Alt + Tab] Edge → Terminal, done. Sometimes not in a particular order.

Legend: [Alt + Tab] action, → from X to Y

It happens frequently, but not 100% of every alt + tab.

I don't recall this being the standard behavior nor the expected. Is this coming from a new update? Is this a bug? Is it possible to revert or adjust this?
    I wasn't able to find an option for this in "Multitasking" tab in settings.

Windows:

• Version: 20H2
    • Build 19042.630
    • Edition: Pro
    • License: Digital Activation License

:)

Rick Stænley, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

alt tabbing increases system performance?

I wonder if CTRL+ESC would cause the same effect?

I've never noticed any alt+tab behavior in game, either good or bad.

Sasqui, Nov 17, 2020
  3. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Nov 17, 2020
  4. dastabi Win User

Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior

alt tab unpredictable behavior with Windows 10 November update

Prior to November update alt-tab was usable with the November update behavior is unpredictable and erratic. Using Lenovo 520i. What happened Microsoft?

dastabi, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior

1. Unwanted alt + tab alternation behavior - Similar Threads - Unwanted alt tab

2. Alt-Tab doesn't alternate between last 2 used windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-Tab doesn't alternate between last 2 used windows: Is there anyway of Alt-Tabbing between the last 2 used windows with the simple button combo?Previous versions of Windows you could quickly switch between 2 in-use windows by repeatedly pressing Alt-Tab eg Window A, Alt-Tab -> Window B, Alt-Tab -> Window A, Alt-Tab -> Window...
  3. Alt-Tab doesn't alternate between last 2 used windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt-Tab doesn't alternate between last 2 used windows: Is there anyway of Alt-Tabbing between the last 2 used windows with the simple button combo?Previous versions of Windows you could quickly switch between 2 in-use windows by repeatedly pressing Alt-Tab eg Window A, Alt-Tab -> Window B, Alt-Tab -> Window A, Alt-Tab -> Window...
  4. Unwanted tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted tab: I've used Edge on a Windows 10 PC for a long time without any problem. I've now bought a new Windows 11 machine which has Edge version Version 120.0.2210.61 Official build 64-bit. Every time the PC is woken from sleep an extra tab has been opened on a microsoft.com webpage...
  5. Unwanted tab

Unwanted tab: I've used Edge on a Windows 10 PC for a long time without any problem. I've now bought a new Windows 11 machine which has Edge version Version 120.0.2210.61 Official build 64-bit. Every time the PC is woken from sleep an extra tab has been opened on a microsoft.com webpage...
  6. Alt+Tab

Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  7. Alt-Tab list always includes Cortana new behavior

in Cortana
    Alt-Tab list always includes Cortana new behavior: I disabled Cortana years ago... or so I thought. But starting today, whenever I use Alt-Tab to switch between windows which I do frequently, the second one in the list the default I will get if I only press Tab once is Cortana! If I select it, I get a box saying, "Sign in to...
  8. Alt-Tab list always includes Cortana new behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-Tab list always includes Cortana new behavior: I disabled Cortana years ago... or so I thought. But starting today, whenever I use Alt-Tab to switch between windows which I do frequently, the second one in the list the default I will get if I only press Tab once is Cortana! If I select it, I get a box saying, "Sign in to...
  9. Alt-Tab list always includes Cortana new behavior

10. Alt+Tab behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt+Tab behavior: I am looking for a way for Alt+Tab to take me back to the last window I was using. Right now when you hit Alt+Tab it takes you to another window of the same program if you have one open. For example, if I have an Explorer window and a Word file both open, and then I open...