Windows 10: Unwanted Apps

Discus and support Unwanted Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have about 40 apps that automatically downloaded from the MS Store according to the Store without any request or action from me sometime after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnO.C, Jan 10, 2021.

1. JohnO.C Win User

Unwanted Apps

I have about 40 apps that automatically downloaded from the MS Store according to the Store without any request or action from me sometime after I installed Win 10.

Many of these appear in the Start menu’s scrolling list of shortcuts, making it difficult to find what I’m looking for. They do not offer the option to remove them from the list, and they do not appear as an installed item via Control Panel/Programs and Features, so they can’t be deleted. I’ve tried to completely install a few, just so I can delete them, but in all cases I lack something the application needs, like a phone I can install MS Edge on.

A MS Support agent suggested I try a Powershell script to delete them, which gave me an access error message.

What can I do to eliminate these shortcuts I didn’t ask for, and don’t want or need?

:)

JohnO.C, Jan 10, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Unwanted App - where is it?

If it's a UWP app (Store app) then you can try here:

Unwanted Apps [​IMG]

whilst everything installed is listed here:

Unwanted Apps [​IMG]

If that means you were using a browser, there may be a download record.

dalchina, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Unwanted Apps in Start, Need help with script

Hi Denis

Thanks for the Suggestion, but only if it were that easy...There is no such option as you can see by the image below.

Unwanted Apps [​IMG]

MrWhispers, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Unwanted Apps

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Unwanted Apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Unwanted Apps

1. Unwanted Apps - Similar Threads - Unwanted Apps

2. Potentially unwanted app still lingering?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially unwanted app still lingering?: I had a potentially unwanted app appear on Windows Defender and removed it. A little while later whilst I'm clearing up some tasks that were enabled on startup I noticed one called utweb.exe Utweb and after searching it up it appears to be affiliated with the unwanted app....
  3. Potentially unwanted app still lingering?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Potentially unwanted app still lingering?: I had a potentially unwanted app appear on Windows Defender and removed it. A little while later whilst I'm clearing up some tasks that were enabled on startup I noticed one called utweb.exe Utweb and after searching it up it appears to be affiliated with the unwanted app....
  4. Potentially unwanted app still lingering?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Why can't the Windows Defender App and Browser Control remove or quarantine the unwanted...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't the Windows Defender App and Browser Control remove or quarantine the unwanted...: My Windows Defender now Windows Security detected an unwanted app in my laptop. So, I chose an action. I tried REMOVE and QUARANTINE but it's not doing anything. I tried so many ways, I even tried restarting my PC and performed an offline scan but still failed. The yellow...
  6. Why can't the Windows Defender App and Browser Control remove or quarantine the unwanted...

Why can't the Windows Defender App and Browser Control remove or quarantine the unwanted...: My Windows Defender now Windows Security detected an unwanted app in my laptop. So, I chose an action. I tried REMOVE and QUARANTINE but it's not doing anything. I tried so many ways, I even tried restarting my PC and performed an offline scan but still failed. The yellow...
  7. Why can't the Windows Defender App and Browser Control remove or quarantine the unwanted...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. found a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool how to remove it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    found a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool how to remove it: windows defender scans show a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool , I tried to block it but it shows again and again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/found-a-unwanted-app-puawin32gametool-how-to/72b8601b-11d9-4712-af55-0f4edfdcad23
  9. found a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool how to remove it

found a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool how to remove it: windows defender scans show a unwanted app PUA:Win32/GameTool , I tried to block it but it shows again and again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/found-a-unwanted-app-puawin32gametool-how-to/72b8601b-11d9-4712-af55-0f4edfdcad23
  10. How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to get rid of unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK for good: Microsoft Defender on my windows 10 pc Keeps Detecting potentially unwanted app: App:NetFilterSDK. Sometimes it blocks it, but it keeps coming back. Once Microsoft Defender reported that it is still active I've used Microsoft Security scanner. Sometimes Security Scanner Hangs...