Windows 10: Unwanted Context menu item

Discus and support Unwanted Context menu item in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello to everybody! I would like some help with a Context menu item that I can't get rid of. Since I tried an application (Master PDF Editor 5), the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skakner, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Skakner Win User

Unwanted Context menu item

Hello to everybody!
    I would like some help with a Context menu item that I can't get rid of.

Since I tried an application (Master PDF Editor 5), the item ''Open with Master PDF Editor 5'' has been added to the Context menu. When I right click on a pdf file, I see this item right after Open. It's not big deal but it's quite annoying visually, since I don't use the app.
    The application I tried, wasn't even installed, it was a portable version. Nonetheless, it apparently made some registry entries.
    I run Regedit and I deleted everything relevant (and I reboot) but it's still there.
    I also used ShellExView but I didn't find something that matches.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Windows 1 Home (ver. 2004)

:)

Skakner, Aug 6, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Modify Title of Context Menu Item

This is curiously difficult. No one utility seems to offer a complete list of context menu entries as far as I know.

For example, using Shellmenuview, you can access the relevant entry in Regedit. For some it appears to offer the ability to change that text:

Unwanted Context menu item [​IMG]

That's an installed program.

For others, it doesn't.

(That's a default Windows program....).

Note too the text appears in multiple places where the program is associated with multiple extensions.

The venerable ContextMenuEdit allows you to edit the text, but again, this is non-trivial- consider here the extension list supported by vlc player, undifferentiated in the left column:

To be consistent, each one would have to be edited- then if you changed player, all that would be lost.

Basically this, I suggest, is not worth pursuing except in very specific cases should there be a real need.

Considering the impact of upgrading, changes to installed program context menu entries should not be affected. Changes to Windows default entries- if that's even feasible, which I doubt, as I believe the text isn't in the registry, would be restored to default.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Add or Remove Start Context menu items

Nyima,

I was not asking about adding and removing regular app items to the start menu, but rather adding or removing items from the Context Menu (Win+X). Specifically, I would like to add the Devices and Printers item to the list.

Thank you for the response.

Crazy IT Dude, Aug 6, 2020
  4. User919 Win User

User919, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Unwanted Context menu item - Similar Threads - Unwanted Context menu

2. Personalize context menu item not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalize context menu item not working: Hello. This weird thing has been happening where if I right-click on the desktop and select "Personalize", I get this error:It appears some program has overwritten the action for the context item, and I can't figure out how to change it back. Not even scouring the Internet...
  3. "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps: I've recently installed WPS Office from Microsoft Store and it filled the "New" section of File Explorer's context menu with bunch of unwanted files types. I tried using NewShellHandler and NewShellSettings to remove those items, however both don't report those file types...
  4. "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps: I've recently installed WPS Office from Microsoft Store and it filled the "New" section of File Explorer's context menu with bunch of unwanted files types. I tried using NewShellHandler and NewShellSettings to remove those items, however both don't report those file types...
  5. Missing items in context menu

Missing items in context menu: I've noticed that when ever I right click on my Desktop: no longer have nvidia control panel as an option Files: no winrar options like add to archive Certain games: no locale emulator -> run in Japanese There's most likely other stuff missing from context menu too I just...
  6. Adding items to the New context menu.

Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  7. Word Context Menu Item Missing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word Context Menu Item Missing: Hello I am having a problem related to the above topic. My menu entry for the Word Document is missing from the context menu. The registry key is there, but the menu entry is not. I am using the Office 365 x64 version. [img] I already wrote here but did not arrive at a...
  8. How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items

How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items: I have 30 laptops we use in our school environment. I want to reduce the visual distractions for the student on the Start menu. I have been looking for a way to remove "Settings" and "Windows Security" from the User Menu. These are not located in the two places that I know...
  9. Modify Title of Context Menu Item

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify Title of Context Menu Item: I have customized my context menus a bit, so I am familiar with some aspects (registry locations, apps to do that), but I have one hope to modify the title of existing context menu items. I would like to simply shorten some titles to make the right-click context menu...
  10. Arranging Context Menu Items.

Arranging Context Menu Items.: I spent yesterday fiddling with my context menu (Right-Click Menu). I downloaded and installed nearly a dozen different apps/programs. I settled on a couple and went to work adding commands. Here's the problem: Once the items show up in the Context/Right Click menu, there's...