Windows 10: unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system

Discus and support unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Using windows 10 1909, IPv4 and IPv6 both enabled. environment: I'm using pihole + unbound on a raspberry pi as a local DNS resolver and have thus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jpgview, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jpgview Win User

unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system

Using windows 10 1909, IPv4 and IPv6 both enabled.
    environment: I'm using pihole + unbound on a raspberry pi as a local DNS resolver and have thus configured (DHCP) to use an IPv4 address as my DNS server. This works fine, goal: kill trackers and ads, privacy.

I discovered that, whenever my local DNS server becomes unavailable (powered down, crashed, maintenance, …), Widows 10 apparently triggers a process to search for external DNS servers, and unfortunately finds them (IPv6). If pihole crashed, without me noticing this, windows 10 continues to operate, using these external DNS servers, of course, all trackers and ads are operational again, I usually get alerted if I see to many ads, by then the trackers have done the damage.

The question: Is there a way to prevent this, in my case, undesired windows 10 feature, adding unwanted DNS resolvers to the system, thus invading my privacy?

:)

jpgview, Feb 15, 2020

2. DNS Unlocker Infected me with ads and i want to know how i can remove DNS Unlocker and how to Remove the ads.

Did you get rid of the DNS Unlocker issue itself?

Follow the steps here.

How to remove "Ads by DNS Unlocker" Adware (Virus Help Guide)

If it is not listed in the Control Panel, or it can't be removed there, move on to step 2. HitmanPro might not be needed.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Bunkei Win User
    DNS does not resolve for download.microsoft.com

Bunkei, Feb 15, 2020
  4. unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system

Safe DNS Project

So this would just be added to my DNS list in my Asus router firmware? Then id be using your server?

jboydgolfer, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system

1. unwanted DNS resolvers, added by system - Similar Threads - unwanted DNS resolvers

2. Unwanted ad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted ad: My new Windows 11 has the annoying habit of when the user leaves for a while, when returning, the OS has called up an ad for MS products displayed on on Bing.. I want the unwanted feature to go away....
  3. Unwanted ad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted ad: My new Windows 11 has the annoying habit of when the user leaves for a while, when returning, the OS has called up an ad for MS products displayed on on Bing.. I want the unwanted feature to go away....
  4. AD 2012 dns resolve issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AD 2012 dns resolve issue: hi community and supporti have an issue all of the sudden my AD unable to resolve any hostname from external but i can ping any website ip the only problem can resolved hostname so my AD wont be able to browse. i tired to reset the winsock, registerdns, flushdns but nothing...
  5. AD 2012 dns resolve issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AD 2012 dns resolve issue: hi community and supporti have an issue all of the sudden my AD unable to resolve any hostname from external but i can ping any website ip the only problem can resolved hostname so my AD wont be able to browse. i tired to reset the winsock, registerdns, flushdns but nothing...
  6. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  7. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  8. Unwanted ads

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unwanted ads: HI, I have a laptop that is less than a year old. Has antivirus etc. Ads keep popping up on the home screen, not when I have an internet browser open, and there is no option to stop seeing ads etc. They are ads for random products, apps etc, a lot of them misogynistic and...
  9. unwanted ad

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unwanted ad: I went to a website about two weeks ago and now every time I am online there is an ad from that site on my screen. Is there a way to eliminate it? 46109
  10. DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org: Hello! I'm taking a course which needs Angular2, and the website is not possible to reach. I have a ZTE F668 ONT router, DIGI Hungary network provider. The router is able to ping the website with built in tool. Android devices on the local WiFi network can open the...