Windows 10: Unwanted edge install

Discus and support Unwanted edge install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I stop edge from being installed? Every so often there's a windows update that's actually edge browser. The unwanted and disguised download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lee_52, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Lee_52 Win User

Unwanted edge install

How do I stop edge from being installed? Every so often there's a windows update that's actually edge browser. The unwanted and disguised download takes forever and stops any work that requires the internet from being performed. I then have to take the time to use Revo uninstaller to remove the bloat from my computer. So, what is the procedure for stopping anymore edge downloads from being forced on me?

:)

Lee_52, Dec 8, 2020

2. Unwanted search bar on Microsoft Edge and Steam Browser

Hi Noah,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest that you clear the data of Edge and check if the issue persist. To do so follow the steps below:

• Navigate to the location:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbw

• Delete everything in this folder.
    • Restart Microsoft Edge and check.
    With respect to issue that you are facing with Steam I would suggest that you contact the developer as we do not support third part application.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 8, 2020
  4. AndreTen Win User

Unwanted edge install

View Poll Results: Do you use Edge as your primary browser??

I found suggestion on MS forums that could work. Did you tried this?

AndreTen, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Unwanted edge install

1. Unwanted edge install - Similar Threads - Unwanted edge install

2. Unwanted Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop: I logged into my personal computer today to find a brand-new Microsoft Edge shortcut added to the desktop. I am the only one with access to this computer, and have not left it unlocked when I was not using it.I have, in the past, gone through a lot of effort to remove Edge,...
  3. Unwanted Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop: I logged into my personal computer today to find a brand-new Microsoft Edge shortcut added to the desktop. I am the only one with access to this computer, and have not left it unlocked when I was not using it.I have, in the past, gone through a lot of effort to remove Edge,...
  4. Unwanted Microsoft Edge Shortcut on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unwanted install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted install of Windows 10: I recently bought my third Windows 10 device, let's call them Dev1, Dev2 and Dev3. They each have separate Passwords, let's call them PW1, PW2 and PW3. I use PW2 whenever I need to access anything on the Microsoft site that is password protected as PW1 and PW3 are not...
  6. Unwanted Edge message

in Browsers and Email
    Unwanted Edge message: Windows 10 v1909 I use Firefox as my default browser and most times when I visit some web sites I get the following message: [img] On another machine, my laptop, this does not happen. On the laptop I am not sure whether Edge is the out of the box version or the 'new'...
  7. Remove/disable Unwanted Services like Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove/disable Unwanted Services like Edge: First, Microsoft tried this with Internet Explorer. They "claimed" it was always meant to be part of the O.S. Anti-trust lawsuits said otherwise and required Microsoft to make it removable. Here we are again with Edge and I would like to have ZERO browser products made by...
  8. Windows update installed unwanted Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update installed unwanted Microsoft edge: As if it wasn't annoying enough that a programme was installed on my PC without my knowledge or permission, It changed my home page and deleted all my history on Chrome. I'm afraid I regard this as an aggressive hack by microsoft. Any other programme that did this, is called...
  9. Unwanted Installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Installation: Hello, Today I have noticed in the list of installed programs a new fresh (today) installation "Microsoft OneDrive". I was not asked to accept this installation, I was even not notified it was installed on my computer. Now I do not know who owns my computer, microsoft or me....
  10. Gettting rid of Edge (and other unwanted defaults)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gettting rid of Edge (and other unwanted defaults): I want defaults: browser - Firefox, PDF - Adobe. Both open with Edge by default. Set the default apps - Win 10 reverted to Edge a week later. Repeated several times with the same result. Same "forceful" return to MS defaults for videos (I have VLC), pictures (I have Office...