Windows 10: Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection

Discus and support Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can you explain why this update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" was forced on me over a metered connection? If I hacked into your pc and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by windows10iscrap, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection

Can you explain why this update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" was forced on me over a metered connection? If I hacked into your pc and sent you unwanted software and made you pay for the 4g bandwidth it lapped up and then made you lose work time while it installed itself that would be illegal wouldn't it?

:)

windows10iscrap, Oct 18, 2018
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Might Force Updates Even on Metered Connections

A wording change in the latest build of the upcoming Creators Update for Windows 10 has users on metered connections worried. In previous Microsoft Insider's builds of the Creators Update, the section of the license agreement pertaining to automatic updates said "updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply)."

In this latest build, the wording has been changed to a more worrisome version implying updating may still happen for important updates: "We'll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection 18da3be5bc06_thm.jpg

Obviously, this implies critical updates and such may still be pulled from a metered connection without prior user consent. Considering many "critical updates" from Microsoft today come in the form of "Patch Tuesday" rollups often nearing a gig, this could get expensive on a metered connection where users pay by the gigabyte or worse.

Source: HotHardware

R-T-B, Oct 18, 2018
  3. How to force Windows 10 to update over a "metered" connection

I have mobile broadband complete with dongle, but Windows 10 updates will not download due to a 'metered connection'. I have gone into settings and Wi-Fi, but there is no 'Advanced Options' section. The advice is:

If the 3g connection is a wireless connection, I request you to try the below steps:

• Go to Start menu > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced options.
    • Under Metered connection, toggle Set as metered connection to Off.

What therefore is the solution?

PeterMaxwellWalker, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection

How to force Windows 10 to update over a "metered" connection

Hi,

has this option been moved or removed with the anniversary update?

I can't find the metered option for the updates anymore.

Thanks for help!

Alex

Alexander Freund, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection

1. Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection - Similar Threads - Unwanted feature updates

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Capability of Windows Metered Connection Feature

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Capability of Windows Metered Connection Feature: HiIf I enable windows 10 metered connection on my Ethernet connection, can I be sure that it will record all the data consumption that passes through my Ethernet port?Is there any limitation on its capability to meter data traffic?Will it be able to meter data consumption on...
  5. Delivery optimization over metered connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delivery optimization over metered connection: I would like to know if delivery optimization can be turned off for delivering or receiving updates from other computers on local network when connected over metered connection. I know the documentation mentions delivery optimization is disabled when on a metered connection...
  6. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  7. Updates on a metered connection.

Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  8. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  9. Configuration of the metered connection features

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Configuration of the metered connection features: Hi As a metered connection via Ethernet or via Hi-Fi disables or limits some features of Windows 10 Home v1607, it is possible to configure some of this functionality so that they work in a standard way? Thanks Bye 62280
  10. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly"? [img] It doesn't help that the behaviour of updates over metered...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unwanted feature updates

2. windows forced update over metered connection