Windows 10: Unwanted fie extension association

Discus and support Unwanted fie extension association in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have inadvertently associated a .xcfg file extension to open with an app. How do I completely remove the unwanted association to leave .xcfg files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TcatHF, Apr 21, 2021.

1. TcatHF Win User

Unwanted fie extension association

I have inadvertently associated a .xcfg file extension to open with an app.

How do I completely remove the unwanted association to leave .xcfg files at the default with no associated app.

:)

TcatHF, Apr 21, 2021

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 21, 2021
  3. Remove (not change) file extension association

I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ??

This user was very helpful (How to UNSET/REMOVE a default app for file type).

I took the suggested steps above and it removed the association but didn't return it to "Choose a default" ... this has caused a thumbnail app to work for every file EXCEPT the ones i mistakenly associated, then did the work around on. This is affecting
    productivity as I'm working with over 1,000 files (and growing). Since 145 people said they had the same question, please Microsoft, can you answer or solve this problem? Please help. Thanks.

PaperSavvy, Apr 21, 2021
  4. sadicus Win User

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change.

1. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?
    2. How to stop windows from changing the icons?
    Types-1.3.1 Extension Icon Editor by Frank Worsley was used.
    Types 2.6.2
    If "Linked class" is used the folder icon updates, but the file icon does not.

sadicus, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Unwanted fie extension association - Similar Threads - Unwanted fie extension

2. Recoverring fies

in Windows 10 Support
    Recoverring fies: I accidentally deleted a folder on W10 destop Used RECUVA it found all files .... all were marked as excellent Ran Recover and saved to a different HD All 243 files are there .... but no one of them will open ..... They all have correct icons .... and are jpeg,png, cr2, dng,...
  3. What are these NVidia Fies?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What are these NVidia Fies?: The log files shown below are created in my Program Data folder. If you try to delete the file you get the error shown. What are these file for and why are they dumped in the top level Program data folder? [img] [img] 160675
  4. Associate file extensions to a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  5. Associate a file extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate a file extension in Windows 10: Hey, I have just installed Endnote X9 Referencing Manager Application on my second pc.. It has created a icon for it and the program opens up and I am able to access the usual link through Word. My issue though is when I download the citation reference from my web site,...
  6. How To Associate app for Files With No Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Associate app for Files With No Extension: Win 10 v1903. I get files from an app and these files do not have an extension. I can open and read them via Notebook but I'd like to assign Notebook to open them when I double click the file name. Can that be done in Win 10? -- Larry 142436
  7. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  8. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  9. File extension not in file association list

File extension not in file association list: Hello, I use Notepad++ to edit Python files which have the file extension .py such as "sample.py" I would like to set Notepad++ as the default program to open .py files. When I open a .py file I get the popup asking me which file I want to use to open. But I do not get...
  10. If you cannot associate an extension to a program

in Windows 10 Support
    If you cannot associate an extension to a program: Normally you right click on the desired extension and choose "Open With" and you get a selection to "Choose Another App." You can then select the App for for which the extension will be associated with-case closed. What if you right click and select the App but, cannot...