Windows 10: Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation

Discus and support Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After I installed Win 10 Pro ver. 2004 / build 19041.685, I noticed that a 4 character folder C: Users\char on my system drive. I also noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cliff Harding, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation

After I installed Win 10 Pro ver. 2004 / build 19041.685, I noticed that a 4 character folder C: Users\char on my system drive. I also noticed that the same folder was created on my data drive D:\char. Both files seems to be owned by the system, and it's interfering with how I manage downloads. Why was this folder created and how can I get rid of it.

To give you an example of my problem when I d/l the latest HD driver from Intel my setting have always been D:\My Documents\Downloads\Intel\DSA. This problem folder is now preventing me from doing any further d/l's into my default folder and insisting that I do the d/l into D:char. If I do this, I can copy the file to my default folder, by cannot execute the .exe file.

I have attempted to give myself access to both of the "char" folders but to no avail. I need to get rid of this folder.

:)

Cliff Harding, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Windows installation folder

A couple of years ago, I read that Windows has a special folder that contains files used during the installation process. Also, I heard there's another folder that Windows uses as a back-up of every system file, just in case the user wants to do a system restore. Where can I find both folders and are they safe to delete?

GoFigureItOut, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation

1. Unwanted folder installed on system upon installation - Similar Threads - Unwanted folder installed

2. Unwanted folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted folders: Windows 10 Home 20H2. There are 2 folders, one called Pictures, the other called Videos, which keep appearing on my desktop. Both these folders are empty. I keep deleting them but as soon as I restart the computer they reappear. Why is this happening and how do I get rid of...
  3. KB4589211 crashing upon install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KB4589211 crashing upon install: Every time I try to install this update, my computer crashes and gets a blue screen at around 30% through the update. I have no idea what the cause of the problem is, so I am asking for assistance....
  4. Unwanted edge install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted edge install: How do I stop edge from being installed? Every so often there's a windows update that's actually edge browser. The unwanted and disguised download takes forever and stops any work that requires the internet from being performed. I then have to take the time to use Revo...
  5. Unwanted install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted install of Windows 10: I recently bought my third Windows 10 device, let's call them Dev1, Dev2 and Dev3. They each have separate Passwords, let's call them PW1, PW2 and PW3. I use PW2 whenever I need to access anything on the Microsoft site that is password protected as PW1 and PW3 are not...
  6. Unable to delete unwanted system folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete unwanted system folders: [ATTACH] These folder appeared after I connected my iPhone and PC to back up my iCloud datas. I couldn't delete them though they are all empty. Other than being very annoying they don't really do much to my PC. Please guide me how to delete these folders. When I click on...
  7. Unwanted software downloads and installs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted software downloads and installs: I'm having an issue with software apps being downloaded and installed after indicating, many times, I don't want them. Any ideas how to prevent this?...
  8. Microsoft installing unwanted apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft installing unwanted apps: I recognize that this forum is not attended by the folks at Microsoft, but hope someone can give me some insight. For the third time in several months when I booted my computer this morning I discovered that once again Microsoft had installed software I do not want; did not...
  9. Windows installing unwanted driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows installing unwanted driver: Windows keep downloading AMD graphics driver to my c-drive and installing it. This driver is not working, so I have to ujninstall it and use windows basic driver instead. How to stop windows from downloading this AMD driverm ? This **** drives me crazy.it...
  10. Unwanted Installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Installation: Hello, Today I have noticed in the list of installed programs a new fresh (today) installation "Microsoft OneDrive". I was not asked to accept this installation, I was even not notified it was installed on my computer. Now I do not know who owns my computer, microsoft or me....