Windows 10: Unwanted item on my desktop

Discus and support Unwanted item on my desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Sometimes I have this vertical slider: https://postimg.cc/zbCKzkQB that stays on top. I don't know what it is and how to remove it, short of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bob8K, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Bob8K Win User

Unwanted item on my desktop

Sometimes I have this vertical slider:

https://postimg.cc/zbCKzkQB

that stays on top. I don't know what it is and how to remove it, short of logging off. It does not even work: when I move it, it goes back down. Clicking on the X does not kill it, nor the escape key.

I cannot even move it.

Anybody knows?

Thanks.

:)

Bob8K, Nov 9, 2020

2. Unwanted Context menu item

When you right-click on an image file, you will see the item "Set as desktop background", which does not exist in Registry either.

Unwanted item on my desktop [​IMG]

Matthew Wai, Nov 9, 2020
  3. How to get rid of unwanted taskbar items?

paulckruger, Nov 9, 2020
  4. ss2020 Win User

Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)

What happened:
    • all desktop items, including folders, opened in Libreoffice Writer; once open it displayed a blank document then began flickering as if it had bugged while scrolling
    • opened Task Manager from the task bar, selecting the second tab opened the final tab, which began flickering like Libreoffice
    • problems stopped after a restart, then occurred again after another restart; then stopped after the PC ran for a short time
    • no error popups or BSODs
    • she said Candycrush reported an error earlier but it didn't occur when I looked at it; she said it mentioned "something about the desktop"

Steps I've taken:
    • did a quick virus scan then reboot scan with Windows Defender; no problems found
    • sfc /scannow; no problems found
    • installed update KB4537572 and upgraded system to 1909; updates appear to have been successful, no other updates available

At the moment the problem has disappeared, but since it reoccurred previously I'm not sure it hasn't been fixed.

I'm out of ideas. What else can I check and what other tests can I run? Based on the given information could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

ss2020, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Unwanted item on my desktop - Similar Threads - Unwanted item desktop

2. Unwanted items on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted items on Desktop: Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed something deferent when i start my desktop. I'm running Win 10 Home ver: 21H1. When Windows loads the Theme appears along with the retangular box to enter my PIN. In the lower left side of the screen my first and last name appears and a...
  3. Unwanted items on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted items on Desktop: Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed something deferent when i start my desktop. I'm running Win 10 Home ver: 21H1. When Windows loads the Theme appears along with the retangular box to enter my PIN. In the lower left side of the screen my first and last name appears and a...
  4. Unwanted items on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unwanted Tackbar Item

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Tackbar Item: Windows 10 ver 20H2 I get get a strange icon on my taskbar and it produces this. What is it and how can I get rid of this unwanted thing? Thank you 183847
  6. unwanted desktop displays

unwanted desktop displays: I somehow got a bunch of boxes with apps on my desktop that dims the display and takes away everything else on desktop. How do I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unwanted-desktop-displays/44305eec-71f1-4847-98f3-59ee6c532aad
  7. Unwanted Context menu item

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Context menu item: Hello to everybody! I would like some help with a Context menu item that I can't get rid of. Since I tried an application (Master PDF Editor 5), the item ''Open with Master PDF Editor 5'' has been added to the Context menu. When I right click on a pdf file, I see this item...
  8. How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items

How to Remove Unwanted Menu Items: I have 30 laptops we use in our school environment. I want to reduce the visual distractions for the student on the Start menu. I have been looking for a way to remove "Settings" and "Windows Security" from the User Menu. These are not located in the two places that I know...
  9. Deleting unwanted items

Deleting unwanted items: When I open up I have a lot of unwanted items along the top. Dragging to the recycling bin does not work. These are not APPS they are topics I looked at some years ago....
  10. Missing Items On My Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Items On My Desktop: When I save something to my desktop it doesn't appear there, but it does appear in C:\Users\\desktop. How can I sort this out so that items I save to my desktop actually appear there? 101647