Windows 10: Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug)

Discus and support Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, First of all i am a long time Microsoft/windows fan (YES i still have my windows 10 mobile device in active use). I have long supported MS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeviGillis, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug)

Hello,

First of all i am a long time Microsoft/windows fan (YES i still have my windows 10 mobile device in active use). I have long supported MS desisions and defended them where i could, but this is getting out of hand!

tl;dr My PC just restarted, quite normal you say? Were it not that it was Hibernated to not lose DAYS to WEEKS of work. I had this before, windows update really wants to install updates and it restarts even though my profile is logged on with programs open... Then i disabled the restarts with group policies. It was fine for a few months but well, today i had it AGAIN. I checked and yes the policies are still enabled...

So here is my question:

Microsoft, did you break your own policy settings or are you deliberately ignoring them? First you take away our normal windows update controls, and now you ignore even the hidden settings in the form of policies...

FYI, if this keeps up, im switching to linux permanently in order to keep my productivity.... This is not funny at all...

You lost a fan today, do not lose your customer too... (I will still keep my phone tho Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug) :p, better keep those updates coming)

Friendly regards,

Now my actual question:

How do I ACTUALLY disable these updates that cause me to lose data?

I have the following policies already:

- Enabling WUPM to automatically wake up the system to install sheduled updates => disabled

- Turn off auto-restart notification for update installations => enabled

- No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updated installations => enabled (should be default imo)

So what else do i need?

:)

LeviGillis, Oct 11, 2018
  2. AndreTen Win User

Daily Unwanted Restarts

Ok, just ask and we will go step by step.

For temps monitoring, I like HWinfo. download and install (link was here before). At start it will ask you if running only sensors, check yes and run

Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug) [​IMG]

Find Temps/ Core max and GPU, click them and graph will show.

You can show it in system tray too. follow like in the picture below

AndreTen, Oct 11, 2018
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug) :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Johan45 Win User

Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug)

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug)

1. Unwanted restarts for updates (possible bug) - Similar Threads - Unwanted restarts updates

2. KB4592440 - Cumulative Update Bug possibly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4592440 - Cumulative Update Bug possibly: Hello, Is anyone aware of any issues around KB4592440 December cumulative update. Noticed with a handful of users 10 out of 1500 that after this update was installed on a reboot their profiles are completely wiped and looked brand new, it was definately after this update...
  3. Possible Bug in Latest Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible Bug in Latest Windows Update?: I believe there may be a bug in the latest Windows 10 Update on December 14, 2020. Since the update, when my desktop computer goes to sleep and I "wake it up," my screen is black, but still shows all of my desktop icons, folders, and task bar items. However I am not able to...
  4. Possible bug with Photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible bug with Photos: [ATTACH] Is this a problem that should be looked at or am I just overly concerned? Thanks in advanced. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/possible-bug-with-photos/9755327f-5632-45f6-bed1-863269af0726
  5. Unwanted dimming display bug

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unwanted dimming display bug: Hi all, Recently, when opening a pdf file using MS edge, my display bugs out until I move the cursor: Over 10 seconds, the screen brightness goes down, the saturation goes up, and contract as well it seems, kind of what you'd expect a deep fried meme to look like. Here's...
  6. Possible .NET update bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible .NET update bug?: I think the most recent NET update (KB4565633, issued about 3 days ago for 1909 systems) might have broken something on my system. The update appeared to go off without a hitch. However, the next day, I started my computer, and Chromium Edge immediately began crashing...
  7. Possible Bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible Bug?: Hi as of the 2004 update I have had issues trying to install programs, I have been trying to install a trial of Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max but neither are installing correctly. I have tried 3 times now. I am going crazy lol. submitted by /u/Cully_83 [link] [comments]...
  8. Possible Unwanted file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible Unwanted file: Heyo, Norton just detected a .bin file in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\UsageLogs It's apparently some sort of Trojan but norton has also detected some legit files as trojans before so I thought I'd ask The file's called "6K6AY.bin" and it reads:...
  9. Unwanted Possible System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unwanted Possible System Restore: When I logged in today my system it took longer to load than usual and then the start screen looks like I just started with W10. I lost all favs and picked up this movable blue image on the right side of the monitor. This image has a percentage number inside and a search...
  10. Daily Unwanted Restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Daily Unwanted Restarts: If you are not getting a Blue error screen when the computer randomly shuts down, it is more than likely an overheating issue, bad cpu, or motherboard. I also would suspect RAM (memory) but that usually gives an error screen (Blue Screen of Death) before shutting down. Also,...