Windows 10: UP Grade to W10, Use Creation Media and Flash Drive?

Discus and support UP Grade to W10, Use Creation Media and Flash Drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have decided to try upgrading my Acer 7740-5691 to W10. Using my Acer 7740-5691 I have just down loaded the Media Creation Tool. Using a 16GB flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bjarmint, Jan 15, 2020.

1. bjarmint Win User

UP Grade to W10, Use Creation Media and Flash Drive?

I have decided to try upgrading my Acer 7740-5691 to W10. Using my Acer 7740-5691 I have just down loaded the Media Creation Tool. Using a 16GB flash drive I selected “Create installation media, USB Flash drive, ISO, DVD, for another PC”. The other option was “Upgrade this PC”. Can my laptop be upgraded from the 16 GB flash drive or should I select the option “Upgrade this PC” to upgrade the laptop. The file created on the USB flash drive is about 5GB. Presently running W7 Home Premium but I ran W10 on this laptop for several days when the free download was offered several years ago. Laptop is i3 intel quad core, on board graphics, 8 GB RAM. HD is 1TB hybrid. I will be glad to provide any information that is needed. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Oscar

:)

bjarmint, Jan 15, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Suembeaux Win User
    Using unallocated space on W10 media creation flash drive

I have temporarily made my 128GB flash drive into a media creation tool to address some boot issues I was having. I know I will be needing a media creation USB in the future, so I wanted to keep that on the drive, but I wanted to use the unallocated space
    left on the drive.

According to Disk Management, there is the 32GB FAT32 partition for the media creation, and 83.21GB left unallocated, but I cannot create a new volume with the unallocated space. Is there any way to use the unallocated space on this drive, or should I grab
    a smaller USB for the media creation tool?

Thanks in advance.

Suembeaux, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Rose Ter Win User

media creation tool does not see flash drive

Hi Keitaro,

In order for us to assist you regarding the Media Creation Tool, that doesn’t recognize your flash drives. Kindly refer to the response of
    Keitaro on this
    link
    . This will provide you troubleshooting steps on how to update your computers system using the Media Creation Tool.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. UP Grade to W10, Use Creation Media and Flash Drive? - Similar Threads - Grade W10 Creation

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. can i use the same flash drive for media creation tool and as file backup ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can i use the same flash drive for media creation tool and as file backup ?: I wanted to freshly reinstall windows. Thing is i backed up my stuff on my only flash drive. But media creatin tool will nuke the flash drive. Can I use media creation tool first and then copy all my stuff on to my flash drive ? or do i have to leave it alone with just the...
  6. W7 to W10 up grade

W7 to W10 up grade: I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 home premium to W10 on a gateway DX4822-01 desktop using purchased installation media. The installation goes well until the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation. We couldn't install windows 10 and restores W7. The...
  7. Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?: I was halfway through finishing making a bootable USB using the 1909 Media Creation Tool, when I closed the lid of my laptop. Now, the flash drive isn't seen by: Media Creation Tool CMD as Administrator -> Diskpart Disk Management Tool Rufus Device manager A simple shut...
  8. Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive

Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive: I’ve been having serious issues with my pc that started this morning. My pc was being extremely slow after I closed Steam because it was lagging so I decided to restart my pc. When I did on startup it said it was fixing files and I let it go through with it, but when it...
  9. Windows 10 update/grade on flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 update/grade on flash drive: In every search I have done I have been shown how to set up a flash drive to update from W8 or W7 using a flash drive. I have W10 installed on three PCs (1 desktop and 2 laptops) I have updated the desktop and one laptop to the new anniversary edition. I would like to upgrade...
  10. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?: Hi, Ive used Rufus successfully before to create Bootable USB Flash Drive Windows 10 Installation Media. This time I wanted to do a clean installation and cut out the need for Third Party Rufus by just using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create my bootable USB flash...