Windows 10: Upcoming changes to MS mail servers may affect Hotmail users

Discus and support Upcoming changes to MS mail servers may affect Hotmail users in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This is a head-up to users of Hotmail accounts. You may know that Hotmail accounts have been aliased to outlook.com accounts for some time. I have just... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by TDOZ, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TDOZ Win User

Upcoming changes to MS mail servers may affect Hotmail users

This is a head-up to users of Hotmail accounts. You may know that Hotmail accounts have been aliased to outlook.com accounts for some time. I have just learned that Microsoft will, over the current quarter, change the mail server setup to use Outlook365 at the back-end.

I suspect those using local mail clients like Outlook 2013 and EAS mode will be fine with their Hotmail accounts.

However, if, like me, you have a "backup" PC using the older Outlook 2007 with the Outlook Connector, then it will stop working once MS move to Outlook365 servers. Here is a quote from Microsoft Answers:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5-6c052fa29009

"
    There is a new change that is occurring. All accounts are being moved to Office 365 servers.
    Users who access their accounts using a browser will be automatically switch to the correct url.
    Users who use email programs to access their email will have to make changes if they were not using pop3 or IMAP protocol.
    "

QUESTION:
    "
    I use EAS mode under Outlook2013 for my Hotmail account, and a "backup" setup on a desktop using Outlook 2007, but that one uses the Outlook Hotmail Connector.

Does this mean that I have to change anything when the move to Office365 occurs?

Also, will any/all affected users get notifications and emails in a timely manner so that they can plan for the change, and will the instructions be obvious for busy and non-technical users?"

ANSWER:
    "

Some have received a warning message, but many have not, as far as I know, but then, people often don't post that type of information.

The time frame is over the course of this calendar quarter, from what I've heard, but it's anyone's guess how long it will take.

I have no idea what Microsoft's server strategy is.

Outlook 2007 doesn't have the ability to support EAS. It is POP3, IMAP4, and Exchange only, with the dying DeltaSync protocol being added via the Outlook Connector. The new servers don't support DeltaSync, so that's why, when your account gets moved, the Connector will stop working.

On Outlook 2007 only, uninstall the Connector, since it won't work anymore, and re-add the account using Outlook 2007's automatic account configuration. This will connect using full Exchange.
    "

:)

TDOZ, Jan 8, 2016

2. Nokia Messaging Password Problem

I can login from the website normally. My e-mail is from hotmail, and there isn't an option to change the server. Should I create a new NM user, using g-mail or something? Or is there a way to change the hotmail server somewhere else?

KrayzieShady, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Windows Live Mail

I don't think WL Messsenger still works but Windows Live Mail still does, with your problem if it affects an Outlook/Hotmail/Live account it may be that your account has been upgraded & therefore the Deltasync protocol will no longer work, to get the account
    working you either have to change your account to imap/stmp servers, use Windows 10 Mail app or another email client which does support the new sync settings.

Check that you're signed into your MS account under WLMail.

Time Lady, Jan 8, 2016
  4. Almighty1 Win User

Wouldn't really be a problem as there are certain standards for compatibility. The original Hotmail ran on FreeBSD before Microsoft bought it and then FreeBSD was still doing the front end and later backend before it went Windows Server.

Almighty1, Jan 8, 2016
  5. TDOZ Win User
    Hi Almighty1, thanks for the input. As you say, with standards, many will be OK, as with POP3, IMAP4 and EAS. However, as I posted what I found out yesterday, users with Outlook 2007 email client, and the Outlook Hotmail Connector for reading Hotmail emails, there WILL be an issue once MS switches to Office365based email servers, unless users know what do do. As the MVP on the other forum seemed to indicated, it is quite possible that many users of Outlook 2007 with the OHC will be unaware of this issue (and many might not even be notified), so I thought it best to post it somewhere else as well.

TDOZ, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    Good point, what I meant was atleast this time it is Microsoft's own products throughout it, there may be patches available that Microsoft can release for this purpose and I may be in a worse case as I have Outlook 2003 installed even though I never use Outlook.

Almighty1, Jan 8, 2016
  7. DMGrier Win User
    I see this often when dealing with clients where they are on older versions of office and outlook and they battle compatibility in the present. A fix for these people that I set them up on is Thunderbird with the ExQuilla and Lighting addons as I know both of those work with Office 365 Exchange to provide email and calendar.

DMGrier, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Randu Win User

This just happened to me as of Oct 29, 2016.
    Outlook 2007 will not send or receive live.com emails.
    Also, at the same time, my Windows Phone won't connect with the live.com email either

Randu, Nov 3, 2016
  9. Try3 Win User
    Try3, Nov 3, 2016
  10. Randu Win User
    Randu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upcoming changes to MS mail servers may affect Hotmail users - Similar Threads - Upcoming changes mail

2. Desktop Background Theme Changes Affect Other Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Background Theme Changes Affect Other Users: Hi,I just installed Windows 11 in a brand new machine and I am facing this weird issue. I have two different users both as Administrators. When I change the desktop background theme wallpaper in one of them it affects the other too. The change usually affects the other user...
  3. User Account affectiveness

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account affectiveness: I am using a live production program with Window 10 pro. Problem: If I use original accountcreated an account while install window10 pro, program runs very smooth. However, after switch to other user account the program is runs differentBad. It uses more CPU then the...
  4. Volume level changes affect all users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume level changes affect all users: Is there a way to make it so changing the output volume on one account does not affect others? My wife and I use the same desktop and she prefers the volume much lower than me. Currently I have to change the volume back up each time she uses it. Is there a way to make it so...
  5. blackmail mail from hotmail

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    blackmail mail from hotmail: I received the following blackmail from a hotmail account: Stavros Ravitzky <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> please advise what can be done. If needed, I can send a copy of the mail. Regards, Nurit Hadari...
  6. Identify mail servers are compatible with MS Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Identify mail servers are compatible with MS Windows Live Mail: I need to switch from my gmail account to another email server that is compatible with MS Windows Live Mail. Looking for a list of email servers that can work through this product....
  7. Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?

Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?: I have asked this question on another site and have received some useful advice. But I thought I would check here as well. I have a PC and two Laptops. On all three I have disabled the Win10 login screen so that they start without having to enter a password. I do have a...
  8. Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?: I have a PC and two Laptops. On all three I have disabled the Win10 login screen so that they start without having to enter a password. I do have a Microsoft Hotmail email account the emails of which I access on my android tablet and smartphone email app. I have just changed...
  9. Phishing / Scam E-mail re MS Changing SSL Server

Phishing / Scam E-mail re MS Changing SSL Server: ALERT: This e-mail was in my Junk folder. It purported to have a Microsoft sender's address. The "To" indicated only "Recipient". It went to my Junk folder as a possible phishing, and I have reported it from my Junk folder. My research didn't show anything similar,...
  10. Possible Thunderbird glitch that MAY affect users.

in Browsers and Email
    Possible Thunderbird glitch that MAY affect users.: Just updated Thunderbird to 38.3, restarted and it was basically unusable, no emails visible etc. The fix. Clear the browser cache Menu Bar\Tools\Clear recent history and the Windows Temp directory. Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running. (optional, I never)...