Windows 10: Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices

Discus and support Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I KNOW this must be a 1709 update -- I have several Windows machines with earlier releases than 1709 and they all work. With 1709 my NON... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Nov 23, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices

Hi there
    I KNOW this must be a 1709 update -- I have several Windows machines with earlier releases than 1709 and they all work.

With 1709 my NON Windows devices cannot access Windows shares even though they see the computer and can ping it. Connecting via IP also doesn't work.

I read somewhere that Ms has now disabled SMB or SAMBA access from Non Windows devices --thanks Ms !!!! now half the planets devices won't work any more !!!

Why on earth does Ms do things like this --break perfectly good functioning systems --or at least give some sort of warning so people can look for alternatives.

I certainly don't want to manually mount a whole slew of CIF partitions on each android / linux / NAS device I'm using.

Anybody got this stuff working

I tried also accesssing via CIFS -- still not working

screenshot below

Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices [​IMG]

somebody mentioned something about re-install "certificate" bit I haven't got a clue what that means or how to do it.

Note Windows TO Windows is fine as is Window TO the android / Linux devices. It's the Android / linux devices TO Windows that's the problem.

I have a load of media files on a Windows share which I want my media server (KODI) on the non Windows device to stream. It's an amazon fire stick (the small one) so I can't locally attach the media files !!! - In any case the whole point is to stream over a network anyway.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 23, 2017
  2. Trixarn Win User
    Trixarn, Nov 23, 2017
  3. Home Group Problems

This might be related to changes in networking with the Windows 10 1709 release. You should check your Public folder sharing settings in Windows 10. See some steps you can try to enable that:

https://appuals.com/fix-cannot-access-network-s...

Andre Da Costa, Nov 23, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Nov 23, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Just done more testing. If you set pc so it requires passwords for network access, it just refuses to accept username and password from popup menu.

I tried to cheat by symlinking a directory on c drive to a folder in public folders. That failed.

I created a second partition on C drive - I cannot access that but can access other physical drives.

So it seems you can now only access files on physical drive with OS if they are in public folder!

cereberus, Nov 23, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

still not working trying other drive D or even public folder with guest / anon login.

Going to abandon 1709 version of windows for any sort of Networking until they fix Networking (I think this will be the world's FIRST Y3K Project !!!!!)

Meanwhile re-formatting 8TB for XFS - Linux file system and attaching it to NAS server. NTFS is not so good on Linux if you can use a native file system.

The strange thing is Windows can access the Linux / Android files so why is it only working ONE WAY !!!!!.

My build BTW is 16299.64

My phone (Samsung S8) can't even SEE the 1709 computer --other Windows machines and non Windows devices -- all OK.

(Running W10 Pro x64 ENG (GB) on all windows machines).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 23, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Check this out

Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices [​IMG]

cereberus, Nov 23, 2017
  8. Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices

I also run 1709/16299.64 on Windows 10 Pro, but from Linux Mint 18 (3.0.7) I can still access documents on the Win 10 PC. For me nothing has changed following the latest update. In Windows Features I had previously selected SMB 1.0/CIFS and that is still the case.

MikeinGrange, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update 1709 -- cannot now access W10 shares from Non Windows devices - Similar Threads - Update 1709 cannot

2. Updating Windows on an older Dell from W10 1709

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Windows on an older Dell from W10 1709: My old Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 runs W10 v1709 build 16299.967 and while it still sees W10 updates it refuses to install them*. I seem to remember hearing from Dell a while back this model is not able to upgrade further than 1709. Would it accept W11? Is there anything I can...
  3. Updating Windows on an older Dell from W10 1709

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating Windows on an older Dell from W10 1709: My old Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 runs W10 v1709 build 16299.967 and while it still sees W10 updates it refuses to install them*. I seem to remember hearing from Dell a while back this model is not able to upgrade further than 1709. Would it accept W11? Is there anything I can...
  4. Updating Windows on an older Dell from W10 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. W10 network cannot access shared drives on other PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 network cannot access shared drives on other PC: I have a number of networked W10 PCs at home. I can access shared folders on each PC, but cannot access entire shared drives on each PC. Any ideas? I have done all the troubleshooting checks that are ever mentioned here and elsewhere, many times. I do not, and have never, run...
  6. W10 network cannot access shared drives on other PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 network cannot access shared drives on other PC: I have a number of networked W10 PCs at home. I can access shared folders on each PC, but cannot access entire shared drives on each PC. Any ideas? I have done all the troubleshooting checks that are ever mentioned here and elsewhere, many times. I do not, and have never, run...
  7. Accessing a shared folder from a non-domain PC

Accessing a shared folder from a non-domain PC: I need to access a shared folder in a non-domain pc work-group from a domain pc. What are the requirements in terms of ports and other steps to achieve this....
  8. Updating from 1709 to 1803 now 1809 as no solution to why cannot update to 1803.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updating from 1709 to 1803 now 1809 as no solution to why cannot update to 1803.: How can the world accept Microsoft continuing to sell products that do not work. How many millions of Windows 10 users are ignored. Any suggestions on what to replace Windows 10with?...
  9. Computer non functional after updating to 1809 from 1709

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer non functional after updating to 1809 from 1709: UPDATE: After being in contact with ASUS and Intel which both recommended I run Memtest86, which produced a lot of errors. I have been in contact with Corsair, and am currently in the process of doing an RMA for the memory modules with them. I have sent them the modules, but...
  10. W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba): Hi folks it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709. FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says timeout on xxxxx - and this comes up immediately !!! other windows machines have no problem. Accessing the server FROM...