Windows 10: Update 1803 destroyed OS and files. Need to do factory restore.

Discus and support Update 1803 destroyed OS and files. Need to do factory restore. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer is an old Gateway DX4860. It came with Windows 8.1 pre installed to partition 2 and backed up on part. 1 as a factory restore. This OS came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sunslight, May 22, 2018.

1. sunslight Win User

Update 1803 destroyed OS and files. Need to do factory restore.

My computer is an old Gateway DX4860. It came with Windows 8.1 pre installed to partition 2 and backed up on part. 1 as a factory restore. This OS came with a free upgrade to Win 10, which I did as soon as I got it.
    The latest MS update destroyed my OS on Part 2, including data and software, systemprofile (no desktop). It looks like the update reset my system clock a month ahead. That played havoc as files were trying to be rebuilt.
    My system restore is gone. No control panel, no desktop, SFC is "unable to repair," neither RECOVERY nor Rollback work. And I do not have an image.

Resetting the BIOS to legacy and bypassing the Microsoft Boot Manger to boot directly from the HD I got it to boot to the Task viewer and from there browse the HD. Most of my file folders are there but the contents are empty. I did use wusa command to remove the update but that did not help.

With restore, recovery, and rollback not working, I assume, all I can do is activate partion 1 for a factory restore?

That, though, is the original Win 8.1. How will I get back to the free upgrade to Win 10? What do I need to do? (Lesson learned here is to always have a backup Image. Don't rely on restore, recovery, or rollback.*cry )

:)

sunslight, May 22, 2018

2. 1803 Update - Unable to Uninstall 1803 Update

1803 Update does not show up on the list of updates in the "View update history window". All restore points were deleted with the 1803 Update

JerryBeauchamp, May 30, 2018
  3. broderp Win User
    Does Windows 10 destroy the OEM restore partition?

After 30 days with Windows 10, can I simply do a factory restore on my ASUS PC and revert back to the original 8.0 Windows OS my PC had from the factory? Or does the install of Windows 10 destroy the restore partition and ability to go back to a first
    boot condition?

I upgraded to 10 on my OEM hard drive, so I could activate Windows 10. My intention was to then get a new HDD and do a clean install of 10. (I heard you cant do a clean install until you activate/ upgrade your old OS.)

I need to resolve a video driver error with windows 10, so it's keeping me from installing office 365 and a slew of other programs. So, I'd like to go back to windows 8.1, clone that and do a dual boot system on a new hard drive, so I can work with both.
    (the goal to eventually stay with 10 once it's running properly)

So, will doing a factory restore work or am I out of luck? Other options?

Thanks.

broderp, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Update 1803 destroyed OS and files. Need to do factory restore.

1. Update 1803 destroyed OS and files. Need to do factory restore. - Similar Threads - Update 1803 destroyed

2. unable to upgrade windows following factory restore to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to upgrade windows following factory restore to 1803: I just did a factory restore on my system to get rid of the digital cobwebs of three years of use. everything is now back to 1803, and windows update seems to be working properly, and it wants to upgrade the build to 20H2, before the factory reset, I was running 21H1, albeit...
  3. Factory Restore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Factory Restore: I’ve been trying to reset my laptop for the past few days, I’ve moved all my photos/videos/documents ECT onto a external storage. There is literally nothing else I could possibly remove or delete from this laptop to free up more space but it keeps saying I need to free up...
  4. How do I prevent Windows 10 automatic updates from destroying the OS?

How do I prevent Windows 10 automatic updates from destroying the OS?: Hello, I have a relatively new laptop less than 3 years old that was running Windows 10 earlier today that is now stuck in a boot loop after I reset it. Literally all I did was reset the computer removing all files and install the updates that I'm forced to install I also...
  5. Need to Restore to Factory Settings - How do I Reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need to Restore to Factory Settings - How do I Reinstall Windows?: I posted last week regarding problems with my laptop. At the time, I could not get Windows to boot at all, it would only ever load to the recovery environment. I had tried to reinstall Windows from there by keeping all of my personal files, but this had failed. I needed a way...
  6. factory restore

factory restore: If I factory restore my laptop, will I be able to reinstall windows 10 and microsoft 365? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-restore/d8ba9d35-fd50-420b-83b3-510f650401ca
  7. Factory reset and OS updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset and OS updates: Hey all. So I plan to do a factory reset on my old laptop soon so I can get rid of it. But out of curiosity, would the factory wipe also delete Windows 10 from the hard drive and revert to Windows 8 like from when I bought it? This is not really an issue for me. I just got...
  8. restore to factory

restore to factory: Is there a way to restore my notebook to factory condition without shutting it down to log in as admin. I have access denied and have tried deleting files and probably won’t reboot for me as it looks like I have ni info in any of my files. Someone else is using my...
  9. Factory Restore

Factory Restore: Im trying to factory restore my computer, it says there isnt enough memory. I've deleted everything that I can find to take off, how can i get past this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-restore/7a475a11-8592-411c-b653-d8fa46dbc555
  10. Factory restore

Factory restore: Hi I live in China and bought a Lenovo computer with Chinese settings. I purchased Windows 10 Pro for English Language settings. I now want to do factory reset which, I presume, will return it to Chinese mode. How do I reinstall Windows 10 Pro? Thank you. David...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how best to factory restore os destroyed by update

2. update 1803 destroys system

3. windows 10 update destroyed files