Windows 10: Update 1903 broke my computer

Discus and support Update 1903 broke my computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Got forced into this horrid update last night when I shut my desktop off. Came home from work today with the expectation of being able to relax and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jencey86, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Jencey86 Win User

Update 1903 broke my computer

Got forced into this horrid update last night when I shut my desktop off. Came home from work today with the expectation of being able to relax and unwind only to find that i can't. My computer won't boot up.

First, it took forever, which I expected after an update. After 20 minutes, I was finally done with the update, or so I thought. I found myself looking at 3 black screens. Computer was still on, but nothing was loading. Tried to restart it, again, another 15-20 minutes before I got to the log in screen! Attempted to log in, screens black again. Tried the cycle several more times with only one successful (if that's what you want to call it) login. Screens were either black and the mouse was flashing, then after a bit they turned red (my accent color choice) and nothing loaded. I could ctrl+alt+del at least and restarted into the troubleshooting menu. I successfully had ONE, out of around 10-12 attempts where I saw my desktop background before it all went black/red.

I tried a system restore to yesterday, but of course those NEVER work. I tried a startup repair, Those never work either. Tried to boot into Safe mode with, and without networking. I couldn't get past the login screen. I got half way through typing my password, screen went black, then I was back at the login screen again. Got it typed in once, wouldn't load the desktop.

This is really just a post to see how other people have fixed this issue, because apparently Microsoft knows about it, but won't fix it. I've seen so many posts with issues with update 1903 but none of those "fixes" worked for me. I would have LOVED to have rolled back my update, but I couldn't get into windows or load anything to do it.

I'm attempting to reset my computer, hoping and praying that it'll actually reset (with files kept). I really don't want to lose everything because Microsoft likes to break everything.

Before anybody asks, it's a custom built desktop, less than 2 years old (thankfully I have a laptop that hasn't been hit with the 1903 yet and I won't let it be hit with the update either. So, anybody else who's problems with this **** update are as bad as mine, save yourself the 3 hours of headache, and go right for the reset with files kept and keep your fingers crossed.

At the time of finishing this post, my screen is still flickering during this install, thanks windows

:)

Jencey86, Aug 30, 2019
  2. NikkieM Win User

Win 10 1903 update broke MS ToDo.

Win 10 1903 update broke MS ToDo. Any list I pin to Start does not show the details, just the box - a blank box. This include My Day, Important, Planned and Tasks lists. They were of course working before this update. I have runned the troubleshooter but
    no go. Please help fix. Thanks.

NikkieM, Aug 30, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Update Broke Computer Need Help!

Windows 10 Upgrade
    According to this list, your PC isn't on Acer's approved list for Win 10. Could you check that?

This is an older PC which came with Win 7. Have you ever clean installed Win 10 on it?

• AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core Processor
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM
    • 320GB HDD
    • DVD Rewriter
    • Integrated Graphics
    • PS.VB1E3.082

We can only proceed step by step.

So chkdsk and SFC /Scannow are ok. But any attempt to reset your PC or run DISM fails.

Is this what you tried? I'm not 100% clear what the above means. Clean install or this procedure?
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

If you tried this, it's possible it failed as you need (it seems) some 500Mb of unallocated space on your hard disk.

dalchina, Aug 30, 2019
  4. MJLONGLEY Win User

Windows 10 1903 update - resulting problems

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for the rapid response.

Your suggested actions are very technical - hardly for 'the man in the street'

'

If I understand correctly, in simple terms, you are suggesting changing the path/method of obtaining the 1903 update but still installing it anyway -

Surely if the problem is actually with the 1903 update then the result will be the same problems irrespective of how it is applied?

Please could you clarify in simple terms, step by step, what your suggested actions actually do and how this may solve the problem.

Thanks,

Mike Longley.

MJLONGLEY, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Update 1903 broke my computer - Similar Threads - Update 1903 broke

2. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broke my computer!: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 and now I can't click on apps, the start menu or anything else. No error message. My desktop keep flashing off about every 5 seconds and stops my typing on here. How can I fix this or get rid of this update? Please help...
  3. Recent update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent update broke my computer: A week or so ago, I updated windows with the most recent update. The next day I turn it on to use it and it started up fine, got to the login screen fine but when I logged in my desktop was gone, all I had was the tool bar on the bottom. When I would scroll my mouse down to...
  4. Version 1903 Broke My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Version 1903 Broke My Computer: So I am one of those guys who would prefer NOT to be forced to download Windows updates, and I have good reason: I use my computer all the time, and keep stuff up on it all the time, so being force-fed updates and rebooted every two days only results in me losing all of my...
  5. Windows 10 Updates 1903 & 1909 Broke my Computer again!

Windows 10 Updates 1903 & 1909 Broke my Computer again!: My main computer that I use for my business, designing 3D models, has been acting up due to updates since last year, now as of April 1st 2020, I have spent several days trying to fix issues updates have been causing with no luck. At this point my computer is completely...
  6. Update to 1903 broke networking

Update to 1903 broke networking: I have a HP laptop running windows version 1803. Several weeks ago it updated to version 1903 albeit at a very inconvenient time. After the update, networking of any sort did not work. I tried updating all the network drivers, and installing a USB WiFi adapter that works...
  7. windows update 1903 broke my photoshop

windows update 1903 broke my photoshop: hey I did update my windows 10, three days ago and since then, my photoshop doesn't work properly. I mean it stop in meddle of my project without saving or any back up. I did a lot of things like delete the last update, then the laptop update itself again, I add the ram...
  8. Latest update broke my computer

Latest update broke my computer: Within the last week or so I installed the latest Windows updates to my laptop. As I was finishing up my usage of the laptop I chose the "Install updates and shut down" option on my computer and let it do it's thing. A few days later I started it up and it indicated it was...
  9. Fall update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update broke my computer: Tiêu Chuẩn Chọn Mua Giấy Dán Kính Chống Nắng Cách Nhiệt Nhiều người hiện nay nghe nhiều đến cái tên phim cách nhiệt. Tuy nhiên họ lại không biết nên chọn mua phim cách nhiệt tại đâu để đảm bảo chất lượng và an toàn. Vì vậy giấy dán kính chống nắng tphcm hôm nay sẽ bật mí cho...
  10. Fall update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update broke my computer: Hi everyone, a bit desperate here. I installed that Fall update last night and thought my computer was a bit slower than usual so i cancelled it and got back to my original build. Now my computer is all messed up. Launch programs won't launch, i can't launch any program...