Windows 10: Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive

Discus and support Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two harddrives in my PC currently, and the second one used to be my primary, boot drive. I still had everything on that drive still saved as it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by otto den store, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive

I have two harddrives in my PC currently, and the second one used to be my primary, boot drive. I still had everything on that drive still saved as it was, including the previous Windows install, and all that comes with it, including relevantly for my case, the "My Documents" folder.

I hadn't bothered with moving all the stuff from that My Documents folder to my current primary boot drive, and discovered just yesterday, that this old My Documents folder has been wiped clean. I still had stuff that I occasionally used in that folder, but yesterday was the first time I checked it since update 2004. I had used it shortly before updating to 2004, so I'm reasonably sure the latest update is the culprit here.

I could still find and restore my missing files using file restoration software, and luckily what went missing wasn't anything absolutely crucial for me, but I feel this needs to be brought to attention nonetheless.

:)

otto den store, Jul 2, 2020
  2. IggSter Win User

My Documents Files - Deleted?

I have a PC where I have moved My Docs away from my C: to my E: so i can perhaps suggest a few things to check.

1. The documents and settings folder will still be present on your C: (although unused)
    2. My Documents on my E: is shown as E:\Data (do you have a similar directory)
    3. Is your missing data in this \Data folder if it exists?
    4. If you click the My Documents shortcut does it take you to the default C:\doc and settings\blah blah, or does it take you to the \Data folder?

Ive had a similar issue with an application resetting the My Docs path back to its orig location and in essence orphaning the My Docs on my E:

IggSter, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User

For some reason all the files apart from My Games/Crysis Wars have been somehow deleted without my doing. Strangely, I went to play Crysis Wars the other day and my profiles were gone, thinking nothing of it I proceded to reset them up. Also strangely, I did not install any games folders in My Documents, somehow the folders Games/Crysis Wars just appeared, when, I really don't know. I have install my OS on a seperate hard drive and My Documents as well as every other folder used as storage is linked to another seperate HDD. Tried a system restore, still no good, why? Has Crysis somehow deleted/corrupted this folder? confused:

Dia01, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Dia01 Win User

Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive

Thanks for the reply though my drive letter is actually F:\ and does not show a Data folder. When I click on the shortcut it takes me straight to my (administrators name)/Documents, so the link is correct. Not sure what happened.

Dia01, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive

1. Update 2004 may have deleted an old "My Documents" folder from a previous primary harddrive - Similar Threads - Update 2004 may

2. If i deleted a image from a folder on my ssd, then moved that folder to a new harddrive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If i deleted a image from a folder on my ssd, then moved that folder to a new harddrive...: had 2 hard drives. 1st drive was my windows 10, 2nd drive i installed windows 10. I deleted a drawing i did in my art folder when it was on hard drive 1 then i moved that art folder to the second harddrive and removed hard drive 1 from pc leaving only the second harddrive in...
  3. Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.: hi sir/madam,I take all fonts 640 from my old PC to my new PC in windows/fonts but 463 fonts, should be 640.I can't find how to fix to added fonts on my windows/fonts.Windows 11.I'm grateful if anyone help.thanks...
  4. Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.: hi sir/madam,I take all fonts 640 from my old PC to my new PC in windows/fonts but 463 fonts, should be 640.I can't find how to fix to added fonts on my windows/fonts.Windows 11.I'm grateful if anyone help.thanks...
  5. Documents deleted from Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents deleted from Documents folder: Twice my documents have been deleted from the Documents folder. Why? Stop it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-deleted-from-documents-folder/e4820f99-d6b3-4c03-855b-d996b67cb146
  6. Unable to delete a folder on harddrive

Unable to delete a folder on harddrive: Hi all! I have a problem in deleting a folder on one of my drive in my hard drive. There is a folder with strange numbers as its name and it is an empty folder, when I try to delete it, it appears again with some other strange number. There is another folder which also has a...
  7. MAY UPDATE 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAY UPDATE 2004: - JUST DOWNLOADED AUTOMATICALLY ON OTHER LAPTOP NOW IT WANTS A BITBLOCKER NUMER- WHAT IS THIS AND IS THIS UPDATE REAL- I CANNOT EVEN REINSTALL WINDOWS- DELETE CURRENTS UPDATE. - IT SAYS I HAVE NO ACCESS UNLESS I ENTER NUMBER- IT ON THE PAGE HAS A RECOVERY ID- THAT DOES...
  8. Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data

Onedrive has moved my Documents folder and deleted the old data: Two days ago. I had a small problem with my SD drive D: on my Surface Book 2. For some reason I couldn't read it. So I restarted my SB2 and got it back. Before this, I moved my Documents folder to Because of that, I decided to copy not move my Documents to OneDrive. Two...
  9. Windows update 1809 the deleted my documents from the user folder

Windows update 1809 the deleted my documents from the user folder: Are the steps to recover the data? Is Microsoft creating a patch fix so I can recover what was lost? Restore does not work for me and I need the data that was lost....
  10. Windows update 1809 the deleted my documents from the user folder

Windows update 1809 the deleted my documents from the user folder: Are the steps to recover the data? Is Microsoft creating a patch fix so I can recover what was lost? Restore does not work for me and I need the data that was lost....