Windows 10: Update 20H2 wrecks my machine

Discus and support Update 20H2 wrecks my machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night, even though I’d switched off updates and put my computer to ‘sleep’, MS unilaterally decided to reboot and apply version 20H2, the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BadHobbit, Apr 30, 2021.

1. BadHobbit Win User

Update 20H2 wrecks my machine

Last night, even though I’d switched off updates and put my computer to ‘sleep’, MS unilaterally decided to reboot and apply version 20H2, the update I’d been trying to avoid. This has wrecked my machine twice before, so I'd turned off the update. This morning again, nothing seems to work. All my desktop icons and everything I ‘pinned’ to the toolbar have disappeared. Whenever I ‘pin’ a new application to the toolbar, it disappears again when I close the app. It can’t find my ‘Normal.dotx’ template. Every time I start PowerPoint, it tells me there was an error with the startup dialog, and

:)

BadHobbit, Apr 30, 2021

2. Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Apr 30, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Update History is not showing v.20H2

Hi Dominic

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

This is normal behavior in Windows 10, typically when you install a Feature Update like 20h2, the update history is wiped, this is to prevent the user from trying to uninstall an update that was prior to the Feature Update, which would de-stabilize Windows
    10, the list should start building again, when some updates are applied to version 20h2 . . .

DaveM121, Apr 30, 2021
  4. Foxfan Win User

Cumulative update KB4598242-OS Build mismatches-W10 20H2

This is what I've done to date.

1- downloaded the update reset batchfile from the source given, and run it.
    2-immediately rebooted the machine
    3-downloaded the relevant ssu, although this is listed as installed in Control Panel > Programs. Running that msu confirms that it's already on the system.
    4-downloaded the KB4598242 msu from Microsoft, and run it. It started Ok but failed with the same error 0x8007000D
    5-checked with sfc /scannow - no problems reported.

In other words, I've stepped through the suggested processes, but still end up with the update failing to install, and with the same error as when update attempted through WU.

I may try the whole process over again, before attempting anything else.

Foxfan, Apr 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Update 20H2 wrecks my machine - Similar Threads - Update 20H2 wrecks

2. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?: Window 10 ProVersion: 20H2 Installed on: ‎11/‎20/‎2021 OS build: 19042.1387 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I just built a computer, and yesterday had just the 20H2 update as the last thing my updates would present. upon finishing the install and...
  3. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?: Window 10 ProVersion: 20H2 Installed on: ‎11/‎20/‎2021 OS build: 19042.1387 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I just built a computer, and yesterday had just the 20H2 update as the last thing my updates would present. upon finishing the install and...
  4. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Update wrecking havoc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update wrecking havoc: Hi everyone. I just did a window update (feature update to Windows 10, version 2004). Ever since I completed it my computer has been a nightmare to use. It keeps changing my unlock ability from a pin to a password, logs me out of websites (I use Chrome) even though I keep...
  6. 20H2 on older machine

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 on older machine: All three of my computers are about 10-11 yrs old. All are running 1909 flawlessly. None have been offered 2004 or 20H2 in updates except one was offered transiently so I decided to test with an old ASUS K53 laptop that is basically stock except for SATA SSD and 8 GB ram....
  7. June 2020 update wrecked my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    June 2020 update wrecked my computer: My computer is fairly new, paid quite a bit for it (around £700) and after an update in June, it’s completely totalled my computer. Startup takes about an hour+ and disk usage is at 100%. I disabled sysmain and that worked for a bit but now it’s reverted back to being slow....
  8. Gears 5 Updates Wrecks Game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 Updates Wrecks Game: Every time Gears 5 needs an update I open the Windows Store & go to downloads. The update freezes early in the process & never continues to download. The last time this happened I had to reinstall the entire game in order to get it working again & I don't want to keep doing...
  9. windows 10 update wrecked my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update wrecked my PC: I installed the latest windows 10 upgrade yesterday and it was a disaster When I did the restart – I could not logon to the PC – I kept getting an error message that it could not find my user profile. I tried both password and pin – neither worked. I tried changing...
  10. Windows updates wreck my installed drivers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows updates wreck my installed drivers: Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why do Windows 10 updates constantly wreck my installed drivers? Either they blow the trackpad, the Bluetooth, the wireless, or the sound drivers causing me to uninstall and reinstall from the proven drivers I store on a...