Windows 10: Update advice on 2 computers.

Discus and support Update advice on 2 computers. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have 2 computers that I need advice for... my daughters computer I upgraded to Win 7 a few years ago. My old laptop was upgraded to Win 8 on a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by maarkr, Jan 17, 2016.

1. maarkr Win User

Update advice on 2 computers.

I have 2 computers that I need advice for... my daughters computer I upgraded to Win 7 a few years ago. My old laptop was upgraded to Win 8 on a new SSD a few years ago also. The laptop died (i guess... no post or anything). Now I have an SSD with the Win 8 upgrade, and my daughters computer with Win 7.
    I'm thinking I cannot just use the SSD in my daughters machine since it's a different mobo and the Win license won't transfer??? What can I do with the SSD and Win 8 upgrade license? I also want to get my daughters machine upgraded to Win 10. Am I best just to upgrade the Win 7 machine to 10 and bite the bullet on the Win 8 SSD? What a waste of my upgrade license.

:)

maarkr, Jan 17, 2016

2. Synchronizing on 2 computers

I sync with my laptop at work and my home PC, both running Windows XP without any issues. I think this is happening because Activesync is still running on your pda. By default Windows Mobile minimizes applications. Thus they are left running on the device.
    I recommend you download a Task Manager app ( Magic button is good and free) to really close programs or, on your device, click Start - Settings - Memory - Running Programs tab. If Activesync appears in the Running Programs List, select it and tap the Stop
    button. Connect your device again. Let me know if this helps.

Linley Meslier, Jan 17, 2016
  3. matermike Win User
    Synchronizing on 2 computers

Yeah, I was also thinking that...

As a last resort, do you think it's possible to edit or delete ActiveSync configuration files on the PDA which may contain old info?

Mike

matermike, Jan 17, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

The Win8 license is only good if it is a retail license. An OEM license died with the system - unless you can talk Microsoft into activating it for another PC. You have a good story with a dead PC.

The SSD you can use as any disk. And if I were you I would stay away from Windows 10.

5. maarkr Win User
    well, it is a retail license... since it's only 256Gb it's not ideal for a non-system disk... and why are you on the Win 10 forum telling people to stay away from Win 10?

maarkr, Jan 17, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    If you have 2 computers, you can upgrade both to Windows 10. Home to home Pro to Pro What seems to be the problem with upgrading to Windows 10?

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Is there a rule who can be on the Win10 forum. But regarding the migration to Win10 from 7 or 8.1, I have a simple rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

8. OldMike65 Win User

Their are lots of members here that can help you with upgrading your computers to Windows 10. Just so you know. *Smile

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Maybe you can also explain why somebody should upgrade to W10. A list of additional functions that one absolutely must have would help.

10. OldMike65 Win User
    I AM NOT going to debate this issue with you.......I also don't agree with you telling folks who are interested or want to upgrade their computer to Windows 10.....not too!!! But.......to each his own, you have a right to your opinion, and I have the same right to mine. Lets leave it at that....

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
  11. maarkr Win User
    uhhh... i haven't tried upgrading the computer yet. My concern was the ability to upgrade a desktop computer using the SSD that was in a laptop... both from a licensing perspective and ability to use the laptop SSD in the desktop.

maarkr, Jan 17, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    Kind of a poor answer. But I did not expect any better.

13. WHS
    whs Win User

If you make a new installation, it makes sense to go with Windows 10. My point is for upgrades of existing systems. Since W10 has few additional functions, an upgrade may not be necessary. It makes a lot of sense though if you are dealing with a touchscreen. The W10 support is a lot better.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    It certainly would not hurt to try. Disconnect the current HDD in the desktop, connect the SSD and boot from it. If your Windows 8 does not stay activated, you should be able to activate it by initiating the phone activation sequence by running slui 4 from a command prompt.

If you want to do a clean install with Windows 10 onto the SSD installed in the desktop - you could use the Windows 7 HDD to get the genuineticket.xml file with, install the SSD, clean install Windows 10 to it, activate it by copying the genuineticket.xml to the right folder:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Don't worry about "using up" your Windows 8 retail license by upgrading the desktop with it. Once the upgrade to Windows 10 is done on the desktop it won't really matter if it came from the Windows 7 license for the desktop or from your Windows 8 license. In other words - the Windows 7 license can still be for the desktop (which would actually be an upgrade to Windows 10) and you can move the Windows 8 retail license to another computer after the upgrade to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok that can be a little tricky, but you should make a image backup 1st of the SSD, a Complete Image backup. Use the free program called Macrium Reflect. Store this image on a 2nd drive if you have one. Because as was mentioned earlier, you can't upgrade that SSD using the OS that's installed on it, if you switch computers. But once you make your image backup of that SSD then you can delete everything on the SSD. Make sure you know which one is windows 7 and which is windows 8 when do your image backup, label them so you will know. Hard drives are real cheap these days if you don't have a spare to keep the image backups on. (does not have to be a ssd for storing)

You will also need your serial numbers for both OS's just to be safe. Use this program to find your Windows product keys. If you don't know them. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Once you have done your image backups, and saved them to a 2nd drive, then you can proceed to upgrade 1 of your computers. Just take it one step at a time. Making your backups, you will not lose any license abilities, on either machine.

OEM license has to stay with the computer its on. Retail license can be used on any computer.

Update: Didn't see NavyLCDR post, my bad*Redface Follow his instructions, he is very knowledgeable on this topic!!!

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Update advice on 2 computers. - Similar Threads - Update advice computers

2. New computer with 2 updates not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer with 2 updates not working: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 KB5022497 is not updating. Install error - 0x800700c1A brand new computer just turned Also unable to update 2023-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based...
  3. New computer with 2 updates not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer with 2 updates not working: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 KB5022497 is not updating. Install error - 0x800700c1A brand new computer just turned Also unable to update 2023-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based...
  4. Win 10 update strategy advice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 update strategy advice: Hello All, This is my first post as I am relatively new to Win 10 (don't ask). This is me: EditionWindows 10 Pro Version20H2 Installed on‎13/‎12/‎2020 OS build19042.1052 Lats night my machine updated with KB 5004945 and promptly terminated my internet access. I had to do a...
  5. Bad update affecting 2 computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Bad update affecting 2 computers: KB5000802 -On one PC this windows update breaks printing. I uninstall it and it fixes my problem but it reapplies itself and breaks me again. I know I can stop updates for 7 days and I've done that. But then it will reapply again. I tried disabling the windows update service...
  6. Advice ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice ?: I just want to start by saying I dont know much about computers at all. I just got an oculus rift s. When i plug it in it quickly recognizes it as being plugged into the usb 3 port, and then cuts all power to it. The driver (i think) is giving an error 43 code. The oculus...
  7. advice

advice: working from home, and my USB headset is playing up, everyone can hear me via my mic but no sounds coming through headphone, only option is to play it through the computer unit. Any ideas or help/ appreciated. ive tried restarting. the speaker option states my usb headset...
  8. Computer troubleshooting/advice?

Computer troubleshooting/advice?: So I booted up my computer today after about 12 days of inactivity. Everything seemed fine, itunes tried to update and I told it to "never check for updates" in the update pop up window, it asked for permission to write to computer and I granted it. Shortly after it crashed...
  9. Need to Update Gifted Computer -- need advice

Need to Update Gifted Computer -- need advice: First, I'm sort of a luddite when it comes to computers and especially Windows 10, so ELI5, please. I was gifted an older Dell Latitude computer with the following specs: Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 64-bit x64 i5 3210M 2.5 GHz processor 683 GB HDD - 135 GB free (I loaded a lot of...
  10. Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked: Hi all *Smile, hope someone can find a fix for me but I fear the worst at this point.*Sad Was a happy Pro 2 user since it was released until the scheduled 10 upgrade yesterday. After upgrade installed with minimal issues, was feeling my way through the new system enjoying...