Windows 10: Update and indexing taking over

Discus and support Update and indexing taking over in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry if this sounds like a rant but frustration is getting the better of me. Can someone help to mange the resources that W 10 takes up in updating.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by daylef, Aug 22, 2019.

1. daylef Win User

Update and indexing taking over

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but frustration is getting the better of me.

Can someone help to mange the resources that W 10 takes up in updating. This computer has taken 2 days so far to download and resource the latest build and still going (it hasn't even started to install it yet). My wife uses a desk top (W 10 Home an I7, 16gig ram and a 500gig SSD) but sometimes uses her lap top which is an ASUS i5 with a 1TB HDD. She needs to give me a day's notice if she's going to use it after a couple of months of non use or she has to wait for at least 2 hours while Windows updates because it steals most of the resources and can't be used. This desktop is running W10 pro and is an I7 with 32gig ram and a 1TB SSD so should be a speed machine (and is if Windows doesn't take over half of it) but the combination of resourcing an update and the ridiculous time indexing takes up, means it's near unworkable. My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 3 pro and suffers the same problems. In fact it's so swamped by other tasks after a couple of weeks not used, that the mouse is near unusable as it jumps around. On the subject of indexing, I have tried to find out why it takes up so much time and nothing online has helped. So much so that after 3 days I simply shut it down. I have tried everything on the net looking for a solution but no joy. Lastly, don't even start me on Trend but I think the combination of all three is at the root of this.

What I need is to prioritise resources so that it's me that's in control, but I can't find a way to do that.

BTW my internet is quick (50Mbs x 30Mbs) and my Wifi is dual band and well covered.

Cheers

:)

daylef, Aug 22, 2019
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Aug 22, 2019
  3. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Aug 22, 2019
  4. David Haz Win User

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Update and indexing taking over - Similar Threads - Update indexing taking

2. Taking over someone's laptop!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking over someone's laptop!: Hi again, I have looked after a friends laptop for a number of years. The person bought it at the same time has mine and I set them both up. We are both on Windows 10 22H2 and fully up to date etc. This person hardly uses hers now and is thinking of giving it to me. We have...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  5. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Keyboard takes over

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard takes over: I rec'd new laptop with Win 10 less than a wk ago. Past 3 days, when I start to type in a fill field, before I can type, I get: --------------------------------------- or //////////////////// or ******************************* Only a restart clears it. Help?...
  7. Windows 10 Update Taking Over My PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Update Taking Over My PC: I took one of the Windows 10 updates and it has taken over my PC, so how do I correct? How has it taken over?: Every month it resets my PC by removing all my set-up/apps that are on my desktop and leaving me the basics set-up/apps as if I were a brand new customer. How do I...
  8. Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages: Hi all, when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's searching/adding in files on the drive and sits flashing away like it's working but takes forever. It doesn't matter if I only just...
  9. Computer take over Scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer take over Scam: Do NOT just uninstall ultraviewer.net. Restore to another date or you could try to uninstall the program in"safe mode". Restart computer and hit F8 till you get boot screen and boot to SAFE MODE. Owner of The Real McCoy Computer Service INC. Delaware. Next time don't be...
  10. Update taking over an hour?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update taking over an hour?: Before I went to bed, I clicked to shut off my side computer (OS: Windows 10), and saw "Update and Shut down" as an option so I clicked that and went to bed. I woke up 8 hours later about 7pm, and I turned on my side computer and saw "Working on updates 0%". It has been over...