Windows 10: Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

Discus and support Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bencmeyer, May 14, 2020.

1. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy.

The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least.

I know there was talks about requesting the update and shutdown button actually complete the update if a restart was required, and then shut down. But I never heard of that becoming a reality.

However, that just happened. I clicked update and shutdown, saw my machine go to power down, and heard the post beep. Was confused so I looked over, and there was Windows loading and installing updates. I gave it a minute, and then I saw it shutdown. I can't believe how excited I am about this.

Is this a real change coming, did I set something, or has it been like this for a while now? I am on the slow insider ring.

submitted by /u/bencmeyer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bencmeyer, May 14, 2020
  2. Midnite8 Win User

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

First update pack was successful and I can shutdown and restart normally.

Midnite8, May 14, 2020
  3. Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

do the 1st update pack only and do the individual updates after that, ensure you can restart/shutdown etc

eidairaman1, May 14, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

1. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown! - Similar Threads - Update shutdown actually

2. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  3. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  4. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  5. Restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart or shutdown: I have seen a lot of Windows users don't shutdown or restart thier PCs at least at the end of the day and that creates some of low performance or not responding to some commands. I keep telling them please restart it or shutdown so the O.S will re-arrange it's files and fixes...
  6. Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart: My PC says it will update on shutdown/restart, however, neither option actually triggers updates to install, it just triggers a normal shutdown or reboot, and I need to install the patch for the print spooler vulnerability.My update history is showing me 6 counts of failed...
  7. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  8. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...
  9. Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN option actually update and restart: Hi, Title sums up tje situation very well. Using Windows 10 on a desktop. When an update becomes available, upon shutting down my PC I get the option to either: 1- UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN 2- UPDATE AND RESTART 3- Can’t remember what the third one is but I never saw a use to...
  10. restart shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restart shutdown: hello, Im just having one problem with win 10 The restart shuts down my computer and I don't have this problem on linux mint can someone point me to a solution. I have tried to turn off hibernation and it seemed to be working for a little while ,but now it just shuts down...