Windows 10: Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail

Discus and support Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My wife's HP Elitebook laptop automatically installed a Windows 10 update today and now the computer is inoperable. It goes to recovery screen but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ConcernedCanadian1, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail

My wife's HP Elitebook laptop automatically installed a Windows 10 update today and now the computer is inoperable.

It goes to recovery screen but none of the options work.

The "Uninstall Updates" section works for Quality updates but fails for feature updates

Startup Repair does not work at all

System Restore sees no restore points at all

All attempts at using command prompts produce no positive results. E.G. the bootrec tools work until fixboot, which will not work at all

Similarly attempted the DISM methodologies and some worked but some would not

Three times have tried "Reset" which takes a long time and then says "Missing some components" at about 85% and aborts.

Then tried to reinstall Windows but it asks for a product key I cannot find - tried using the "wmic path softwarelicensingservice..." and that would not work

Am at wits end. A Microsoft automatic software update has killed her laptop and made it inoperable and unrecoverable.

PLEASE HELP

I HAVE SPENT ENTIRE DAY TRYING TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE WITH INCREASING COMPLEX SOLUTIONS NONE OF WHICH WORK

:)

ConcernedCanadian1, Oct 22, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Oct 22, 2020
  4. sol_kiwi Win User

Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail

Stuck at Automatic repair mode while installing Windows Updates.

Still on preparing automatic repair

sol_kiwi, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail

1. Update automatically installed and now Windows will not boot and all known repair methods fail - Similar Threads - Update automatically installed

2. My PC doesn't boot, the automatic repairs fails to repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC doesn't boot, the automatic repairs fails to repair: Hi,Please I need help.My Laptop refuses to boot. It's stuck on the "preparing automatic repairs" for a few minutes then it gives another message that it failed....then proceeds to this unending loop at the logo.How do I solve this please? Help!...
  3. My PC doesn't boot, the automatic repairs fails to repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC doesn't boot, the automatic repairs fails to repair: Hi,Please I need help.My Laptop refuses to boot. It's stuck on the "preparing automatic repairs" for a few minutes then it gives another message that it failed....then proceeds to this unending loop at the logo.How do I solve this please? Help!...
  4. Automatic repair failed after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic repair failed after update: So I had a windows update last night and installed it. When I restarted my computer it went to the blue screen and said bad system config info. I tried everything to repair. I tried startup repair, which failed, I tried all the command prompt stuff from videos and failed,...
  5. Automatic repair failed after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic repair failed after update: So I had a windows update last night and installed it. When I restarted my computer it went to the blue screen and said bad system config info. I tried everything to repair. I tried startup repair, which failed, I tried all the command prompt stuff from videos and failed,...
  6. Automatic repair failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic repair failed: Hi, my laptop did an automatic repair 5 days ago. It goes to stage 1 and 2 then it says "automatic repair failed, restart or advanced options". It's been doing this for the past 5 days. I've tried command prompt using YouTube videos nothing worked. My laptop is Windows 10...
  7. Windows menu dead, all repair methods fail.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows menu dead, all repair methods fail.: My issue: About a week or two ago Windows 10 applied a patch that broke the Windows Menu and a few other critical features. Everything else works perfectly. I have a commercial tool Stablebit's Scanner that I used to verify that my physical disks and circuitry used to...
  8. Automatic repair fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair fails: When I start my computer first it pops up preparing automatic repair and then diagnosing your pc and then the problem Automatic repair couldn't repair your pc I tried so many way to fix this problem but no none of them work . I tried to reset my pc while keeping all my...
  9. Windows 10 Laptop failing Automatic Repair on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Laptop failing Automatic Repair on boot: This randomly happened to me after I held down the power button to turn off my PC. When I restart, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing your PC" until it comes up with the advanced options stuff. Resetting the PC fails, and so does other repair methods, so I'm...
  10. All Windows 1809 Update methods fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All Windows 1809 Update methods fail: Hi - I have tried all methods of updates that I know about and the update fails every time. Error such as "This PC cannot run Windows 10, please contact your manufacturer about updating the BIOS" - my PC is a (nearly) brand new HP X360 with Intel / AMD i7 Radeon 8705...