Windows 10: Update broke computer, unable to roll back

Discus and support Update broke computer, unable to roll back in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Today, I updated my computer. The update made me unable to login. I know how I am supposed to be able to roll back the update: Boot into recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Weboh, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Weboh Win User

Update broke computer, unable to roll back

Today, I updated my computer. The update made me unable to login.

I know how I am supposed to be able to roll back the update: Boot into recovery mode, then select uninstall update. However, it asks for my Microsoft Account password to do that. When I provide the password, it tells me it's incorrect. I was pretty sure I had the right password, but I changed it anyway on another computer so I could be absolutely sure. When I copy that new password exactly into the field on the uninstall update page, it still tells me the password is wrong. Since it's "wrong," I can't uninstall the update.

TL;DR, Is there a way to roll back an update without a Microsoft Account password? Or is there a way to make Windows recognize that the password I used is correct?

:)

Weboh, Jun 8, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Update Broke Computer Need Help!

Windows 10 Upgrade
    According to this list, your PC isn't on Acer's approved list for Win 10. Could you check that?

This is an older PC which came with Win 7. Have you ever clean installed Win 10 on it?

• AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core Processor
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM
    • 320GB HDD
    • DVD Rewriter
    • Integrated Graphics
    • PS.VB1E3.082

We can only proceed step by step.

So chkdsk and SFC /Scannow are ok. But any attempt to reset your PC or run DISM fails.

Is this what you tried? I'm not 100% clear what the above means. Clean install or this procedure?
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

If you tried this, it's possible it failed as you need (it seems) some 500Mb of unallocated space on your hard disk.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 update broke my computer?

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger Safe Mode through the Windows
    Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process
    • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
    • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore
    point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • On the upper-right window, under View by, click Category and select Large icons.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Melowin Mar, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Update broke computer, unable to roll back

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Update broke computer, unable to roll back

1. Update broke computer, unable to roll back - Similar Threads - Update broke computer

2. roll back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    roll back: hi, im on windows 10 21h2 and i need to roll back to windows 10 20h2 so i can run some programs, i know i need to run the media creation tool but its called 21h2 so wont that just leave it as 21h2? can any one tell me what i need to do to rollback to it, please explain in...
  3. roll back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    roll back: hi, im on windows 10 21h2 and i need to roll back to windows 10 20h2 so i can run some programs, i know i need to run the media creation tool but its called 21h2 so wont that just leave it as 21h2? can any one tell me what i need to do to rollback to it, please explain in...
  4. roll back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can a computer reset cause updates to roll back?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can a computer reset cause updates to roll back?: Can resetting my computer, roll back all the updates that have been done on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-computer-reset-cause-updates-to-roll-back/accb8eaa-1a46-442d-a0aa-3b92b0186c34
  6. computer roll back

computer roll back: How do I roll back my computer to an earlier date. I have windows 10. But seem to have lost some of my files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-roll-back/8e89f3be-4fe7-4444-b5ac-54543c92e575
  7. Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?

Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?: Today I allowed a Windows update to run & restart my Lenovo laptop. At restart my bluetooth quit working. Troubleshooting stated Bluetooth wasn’t available. I was using BT speakers daily before the update. I decided to Shut Down then restart. Now the start up process doesn’t...
  8. Rolling back updates manually?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rolling back updates manually?: I've just had to reset my PC due to a number of issues I suspect were caused by the recent 2004 Update. I want to go back to 1909, but the reset automatically installed 2004, so I have no update history to draw it from. Does anyone know if there is a way to download 1909,...
  9. Update Won't Roll Back

Update Won't Roll Back: Patch Tuesday was 2 days ago. This morning, when I rebooted, something had trashed my desktop, 2 email programs, Word, most of my startups, etc. I assume this was Windows Update but can't be sure. Win is now Version 1903 (Build 18362.1082); was 1903 but I don't know what...
  10. Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall?

in Windows 10 Support
    Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall?: After the new fall update installed yesterday, the windows button was completely broken, calculator wouldn't even open, file explorer took a very long time to open, everything opened very slowly, two processes were permanently using 13% of my i7-6700 cpu, and there was poor...