Windows 10: Update broke Cortana/search and most windows programs

Discus and support Update broke Cortana/search and most windows programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The frustration level is through the roof. I already formatted my system once after the anniversary update ruined it and it's happened again. Had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dreaden, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Dreaden Win User

Update broke Cortana/search and most windows programs

The frustration level is through the roof. I already formatted my system once after the anniversary update ruined it and it's happened again.

Had a bunch of automatic updates in December and the number of things that broke is staggering.

I no longer have cortana nor the search bar and the following apps all broke

calculator, alram clock, calendar, camera, get started, groove music, mail, maps, soltair, movies & TV, one note, stick notes, store, voice recorder and weather.

Screenshot of my updates
    https://i.imgur.com/gM2oBCz.png

Remove updates
    https://i.imgur.com/MmZIcPk.png

from the remove updates the only ones that allow me to uninstall are the two most recent ones under Microsoft windows.
    I uninstalled those but nothing changed. I also cheked for updates and reinstalled them and the problems are still there.

I'm also running bitdefender 2017 and malwarebytes if that helps.

I'm basically thinking to now format again and just disable updates indefinitely.

:)

Dreaden, Dec 22, 2016
  2. MarkTiede Win User

Cortana no longer responding to searches

Well, that was short and sweet. Cortana search isn't working today. I updated my 950xl to .420 version yesterday. Didn't check Cortana right away so not sure if the update broke it, or something else has broken Cortana.

MarkTiede, Dec 22, 2016
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Cortana not finding local documents

Thanks, did all the things. Also did sfc and dism. Also checked locations under Indexing Options. Also rebuilt index.

It is still broken. Broke after updating to Fall Creators Update.

This is seriously afu.

How do I stop Cortana and revert to plain Windows Search?

Stephen_C, Dec 22, 2016
  4. Saltgrass Win User

There are a lot of folks running systems similar to yours. I do not run Bitdefender and don't run Malwarebytes in real time.

So, I will ask,can you think of anything about your system which may be involved in your problems? Have you made any modifications to a Win 10 normal install, such as moving certain folders to another location.

Are you showing any recurring warnings or errors in the Event Viewer?

Is this a clean Win 10 install or an upgrade from a prior OS?

Saltgrass, Dec 22, 2016
  5. Dreaden Win User
    Other than Bitdefender and Malwarebytes somehow possibly messing up the update, nothing else I can really think of . The only folders not in normal places are program files for games which I install on a separate hard drive. During the normal install I didn't change anything. This is a clean install and not an upgrade

In the event viewer I see a bunch of errors regarding not being able to start BITS, Cortana, windows store, one note. There are a lot of them and im assuming I would find an error for every one of those programs I mentioned. These are all under the application logs

Under the system logs there are a bunch of cortana errors too.

It's such a mess.

Dreaden, Dec 22, 2016
  6. Are your restore points enabled and if so do you have one from November.

If I were you after you invoke the restore I would tell windows that you will handle all driver updates. Before you do that, assuming you are using wireless, set it to a metered connection to hold up updates while you perform the following.

To disable driver updates, Control Panel, System and Security, System, on left Advance System Settings, Hardware Tab, Device Installation settings, click No. This may cause a menu to open. Pick I’ll decide.

After the restore I would also run the Update trouble shooter to ensure when Windows does goes to update things are clean.

Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click, click on Run as administrator. Should run clean. If it doesn't run again.

Please consider trying out Macrium Reflect to perform regular disk images. They will save you a ton of grief and the product is free.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update broke Cortana/search and most windows programs - Similar Threads - Update broke Cortana

2. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop: My laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 700.I clicked the button to restart my laptop and an update started installing. Note: I didn't click the button "update and restart pc", I clicked the normal buttonAfter my pc restarted, I noticed there were things wrong.- When I try to...
  3. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop: My laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 700.I clicked the button to restart my laptop and an update started installing. Note: I didn't click the button "update and restart pc", I clicked the normal buttonAfter my pc restarted, I noticed there were things wrong.- When I try to...
  4. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Most recent windows update completely broke PC

Most recent windows update completely broke PC: The day after i downloaded the most recent windows update from I think the 11th my pc restarted and would not allow me to get to the desktop no matter what, at first it was freezing at lock screen, then it started booting into a black loading screen, then it ended up getting...
  6. Windows update 2004 broke search bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows update 2004 broke search bar: This new search does not allow me to use advanced options such as "dimensions:", nor does it let me preview possible results. How do I uninstall the update?...
  7. They broke cortana

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    They broke cortana: i have no idea how but they made her wose i used to be able to say "hey Cortana, open on screen keyboard" Now she just gives instructions of how to open the on screen keyboard :( submitted by /u/newbreed69 [link] [comments]...
  8. most recent update broke wireless connections

most recent update broke wireless connections: Hello! Since the last update, every time I change wireless networks with my laptop, the wireless adapter can't see any networks. Once I reboot at the new location, it connects just fine. But it means I have to reboot literally every time I open the laptop at home, at work,...
  9. Sound broke after most recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound broke after most recent update: I saw the lil update thing in the bottom right corner. I updated my pc, and everything was normal, except the audio had a red x instead of being muted or on. Clicking it opened the troubleshooter, which was worthless. I tried updating my drivers, it says they are up to date....
  10. new update broke, well most things.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new update broke, well most things.: Just got the march 17th update and it broke most of my usb devices. Occulus rift, joysticks, steering wheel etc. basicly anything that needs any power such as leds. usb devices except mouse and keyboard(not sure why) keep turning on and off every few seconds so cant be...