Windows 10: Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Discus and support Update Broke Network Sharing - Help! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by No IDLady, Jan 10, 2019.

1. No IDLady Win User

Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network sharing was working fine until yesterday.

Two computers got the update to build 1809 yesterday, and that seriously broke sharing of one important folder (& sub-folders) from one of the updated PCs .

The problematic shared folders still show as appropriately shared in File Explorer, Network, PC1, but clicking on the share returns "you do not have permission" error.

Other shares on the same (bleeping) computer are still accessible. SMH - I don't understand why the unimportant shares still work but the crucial folder (& its sub-folders) doesn't. I'd be happy if someone can explain it -- everything was shared in exactly the same (bleeping) way.

Most importantly, can someone please tell me how to fix that broken share in simple terms?

TIA.

:)

No IDLady, Jan 10, 2019

2. Cannot open network and sharing center in windows 10

Hi Aman,

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• Do you get any error message, when trying to open network and sharing center?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Install all the Windows 10 pending updates and check if it helps.

I suggest you check for the pending updates in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Windows 10 will automatically install all the pending updates.
    If the issue still persist, suggest you to try the below step to fix the issue.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    Run the DISM Tool and check.

The DISM tool checks the system health and will try to restore the files.

• Right click on the Start button, click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
      Enter key after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Reference: I suggest you to follow the steps recommended in the below article for any network connection issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

1. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help! - Similar Threads - Update Broke Network

2. Help with sorting out network sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with sorting out network sharing: I have spent hours and hours on this and seem to be stuck.I have 3 PCs on my private network, all running Windows 11. Mine is A, my wife's is B, the file server is now C.I just replaced one of them D which served as our network storage and also runs a Plex server.I moved the...
  3. Help with sorting out network sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with sorting out network sharing: I have spent hours and hours on this and seem to be stuck.I have 3 PCs on my private network, all running Windows 11. Mine is A, my wife's is B, the file server is now C.I just replaced one of them D which served as our network storage and also runs a Plex server.I moved the...
  4. Update broke system- help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update broke system- help: So I use Linux on my main pc, but my dad's laptop decided to update and then brake the whole thing. I can send some pics of it. It just loops over and over on the update setup screen. I don't know the specs cause it isn't mine but I know that it has an i3 3110m, four gigs of...
  5. Help with Network shares after March Update

Help with Network shares after March Update: My computers (laptop and desktop acting as a server with 10 hard drives, Plex, radarr, NZBGet, Blue Iris, etc.) have just updated to the newest version of Windows during this March update, and now my home networking shares are broken. I have tried everything I could find on...
  6. Need help with network sharing

Need help with network sharing: Hi I'm using a program called pdanet+ so that I can play on my ps4 and I have 2 laptops One has windows 10 and one has windows 8 The windows 8 laptop is from 2014 but it does a faster job than my beefy windows 10 laptop is there any way to make my windows 10 laptop make a...
  7. Networking is broke!!

Networking is broke!!: I don't know what's wrong, here. I thought I'd pinned it down to a bad network driver, but none of my other PCs had this issue. Rolling back the driver seemed to fix the issue, temporarily, and then when it happened again, I could simply roll the driver back again. Well, now,...
  8. Update to 1903 broke networking

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to 1903 broke networking: I have a HP laptop running windows version 1803. Several weeks ago it updated to version 1903 albeit at a very inconvenient time. After the update, networking of any sort did not work. I tried updating all the network drivers, and installing a USB WiFi adapter that works...
  9. DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops: Tonight (UK) I installed 1803 on 2 laptops, both of which are used exclusively to screen-capture live webcams 24/7 in hourly clips. I fetch up the recordings from across the network to "this" (XPS 15 in my sig) and edit them, upload to YouTube, and share. I am accustomed to...
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update broke home group networking

2. windows update broke file and printer sharing

3. window january 2019 update has messed up network shares