Windows 10: Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update.

Discus and support Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Bought a new PC that came with Win-8.1 and decided to jump direct to Win-10 with a clean install... no update from 8.1. It worked fine for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Astur, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Astur Win User

Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update.

Bought a new PC that came with Win-8.1 and decided to jump direct to Win-10 with a clean install... no update from 8.1.

It worked fine for the first 3 weeks but within the last week when I do a Restart it goes into the "Don't turn your computer off while doing update" or something to that effect.

It restarts three times getting as far as 55% but the next time it restarts (the 4th time) message says "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes". When it finishes it restarts again and finally boots correctly.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If I do a Shutdown and power up again the it boots correctly... no restarts!

:)

Astur, Aug 15, 2015

2. Update backs out during install

The community is here to help again Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. :)

Can you tell us what is the name of the update? Is it a feature update or a cumulative update?

What is the current version of Windows 10 installed?

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 15, 2015
  3. AspieMum Win User
    Windows Update KB3197954 has caused my computer to go into constant restarts because it refuses to install

Windows update (which you can't turn off) decided to install update KB3197954 on my windows 10 computer. It failed to install so now every time I restart & every time I turn on the computer it goes into this endless loop of trying to roll back the failed
    up date only to restart causing it to try to install it only to fail all over again & so on endlessly. Only way out is to keep turning the computer off with the power button and after several attempts so far I've got out of it. I need a solution. I have tried
    downloading the update as a standalone & attempted to install that & everything appeared fine but the restart at the end of the installation just put me back into the restart loop.

AspieMum, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Astur Win User

Well did some more research and found a info stating that MS patch K3081424 could clear up the problem and gave a link to a stand alone installer for this patch.

I downloaded it, applied it and was asked to restart. I thought that I was home free but it went through the 4 restart cycles... so no fix!

So I went into the update history and found that patches KB3001652 has failed to install since Aug. 4th, KB3081424 since Aug. 5th and KB 3081438 since Aug. 15th. BTW, all these are Cumulative Updates.

Anybody have any insight????

Astur, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    If you didn't upgrade first this could be Microsoft's way of dealing with counterfeit software.

6. GCT
    gct Win User
    I had problems with all Win10 patches failing, they would look like they went thru all the reboots, then say 'failed to update, backing out all changes', and several more reboots. (they always successfully backed out)

I found this link, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eaed7b6?page=2

I removed 1 profile called from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    called "UpdatusUser", and now all my updates install correctly.

NOTE: be careful with regedit......

Thema:

1. Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. - Similar Threads - Update causes restarts

2. Windows 10 2004 update fails several times

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 update fails several times: Hello there, Please help me solving this issue. I tried updating Windows 10 1909 into 2004 several times 4 times, and it fails. The last update run was yesterday and I executed the following steps. 1. Deleted Software distribution folder. 2. Deleted CATROOT2 folder....
  3. Why during some major windows 10 updates PC restarts several times?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why during some major windows 10 updates PC restarts several times?: Why can't it update without restarting the PC several times. submitted by /u/deep7raja [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ig994o/why_during_some_major_windows_10_updates_pc/
  4. After recent update wifi keeps cutting out and only comes back on restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After recent update wifi keeps cutting out and only comes back on restart: For reference, I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, and I'm running Windows 10 home. About a week ago, there was a Microsoft update, and since then, I keep having this problem where randomly throughout the day, my wifi will just stop working. My internet is fine. My wifi and...
  5. Can I pause Windows updates several times?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I pause Windows updates several times?: I have paused the Windows Update for 1909 for 35 days and wonder if I am able to pause the update for another 35 days? I was able to add another day for a total of 36 days. I have had problems with major updates with my RAID system so I would prefer to delay this update...
  6. Can I pause Windows updates several times?

Can I pause Windows updates several times?: I have paused the Windows Update for 1909 for 35 days and wonder if I am able to pause the update for another 35 days? I was able to add another day for a total of 36 days. I have had problems with major updates with my RAID system so I would prefer to delay this update...
  7. Windows 10 explorer restarts several times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 explorer restarts several times: I am running windows 10 May 2019 edition . I use my computer for 4-5 hours daily, in that the windows explorer , refresh themselves several times say 1-2 times between that 4-5 hours . I want to know why this problem is happening I am facing this problem from past couple of...
  8. Server Restarting Several Times per day.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Server Restarting Several Times per day.: I have a Windows Server 2016 that is restarting a couple of times per day. Critical Event Viewer Page below. Any insight would be apprecaited. -<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider...
  9. Update 1803 Installation has failed several times

Update 1803 Installation has failed several times: As my subject says, 1803 won't install. Where do I find the error code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-1803-installation-has-failed-several-times/57c635c7-c0cd-41de-a190-5d039b179ace
  10. Windows updates. Set the time but still restarting for updates randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows updates. Set the time but still restarting for updates randomly.: I am trying to run a small local radio station for a small town in Canada. I'm forcibly retired due to Crohns. I started this business because it's something I can do otherwise I forced to live on a pension of $735/month. I can't have restarts during my scheduled broadcast...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update get to 70 % then backs out

2. windows update restarts several times then reverts