Windows 10: Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update.

Discus and support Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Bought a new PC that came with Win-8.1 and decided to jump direct to Win-10 with a clean install... no update from 8.1. It worked fine for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Astur, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Astur Win User

Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update.

Bought a new PC that came with Win-8.1 and decided to jump direct to Win-10 with a clean install... no update from 8.1.

It worked fine for the first 3 weeks but within the last week when I do a Restart it goes into the "Don't turn your computer off while doing update" or something to that effect.

It restarts three times getting as far as 55% but the next time it restarts (the 4th time) message says "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes". When it finishes it restarts again and finally boots correctly.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If I do a Shutdown and power up again the it boots correctly... no restarts!

:)

Astur, Aug 15, 2015

2. Update backs out during install

The community is here to help again Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. :)

Can you tell us what is the name of the update? Is it a feature update or a cumulative update?

What is the current version of Windows 10 installed?

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 15, 2015
  3. AspieMum Win User
    Windows Update KB3197954 has caused my computer to go into constant restarts because it refuses to install

Windows update (which you can't turn off) decided to install update KB3197954 on my windows 10 computer. It failed to install so now every time I restart & every time I turn on the computer it goes into this endless loop of trying to roll back the failed
    up date only to restart causing it to try to install it only to fail all over again & so on endlessly. Only way out is to keep turning the computer off with the power button and after several attempts so far I've got out of it. I need a solution. I have tried
    downloading the update as a standalone & attempted to install that & everything appeared fine but the restart at the end of the installation just put me back into the restart loop.

AspieMum, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Astur Win User

Well did some more research and found a info stating that MS patch K3081424 could clear up the problem and gave a link to a stand alone installer for this patch.

I downloaded it, applied it and was asked to restart. I thought that I was home free but it went through the 4 restart cycles... so no fix!

So I went into the update history and found that patches KB3001652 has failed to install since Aug. 4th, KB3081424 since Aug. 5th and KB 3081438 since Aug. 15th. BTW, all these are Cumulative Updates.

Anybody have any insight????

Astur, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    If you didn't upgrade first this could be Microsoft's way of dealing with counterfeit software.

6. GCT
    gct Win User
    I had problems with all Win10 patches failing, they would look like they went thru all the reboots, then say 'failed to update, backing out all changes', and several more reboots. (they always successfully backed out)

I found this link, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eaed7b6?page=2

I removed 1 profile called from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    called "UpdatusUser", and now all my updates install correctly.

NOTE: be careful with regedit......

Thema:

1. Update causes restarts several times, then backs out update. - Similar Threads - Update causes restarts

2. Windows failed to update several times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows failed to update several times: My PC, which is in the insider program, has failed to update multiple times. When I tried to install the latest release preview build, it gave me a 0x800f081f error. When I installed the beta update, it gave me 0x800f0905. When I checked the insider page it said I was on the...
  3. Windows failed to update several times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows failed to update several times: My PC, which is in the insider program, has failed to update multiple times. When I tried to install the latest release preview build, it gave me a 0x800f081f error. When I installed the beta update, it gave me 0x800f0905. When I checked the insider page it said I was on the...
  4. KB5016695 failed update several times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5016695 failed update several times: Several times over the past few days I have tried to update:2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5016695Each time it has failed and there is no way to circumvent this as far I could find.I couldn't find it to download from the catalog...
  5. KB5016695 failed update several times

KB5016695 failed update several times: Several times over the past few days I have tried to update:2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5016695Each time it has failed and there is no way to circumvent this as far I could find.I couldn't find it to download from the catalog...
  6. Firmware Update Causing Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firmware Update Causing Restart: Hello everyone. I work for a school district with a large number of Lenovo 14W laptops available for student use. Recently, we have had many of these laptops that throw up the following message after logging into the laptop: "You're about to be signed out. The system will...
  7. Firmware Update Causing Restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Firmware Update Causing Restart: Hello everyone. I work for a school district with a large number of Lenovo 14W laptops available for student use. Recently, we have had many of these laptops that throw up the following message after logging into the laptop: "You're about to be signed out. The system will...
  8. What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates?: What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-causes-the-computer-to-do-a-back-out-of-ms/aa5d2630-fd41-4057-960f-86b7892b9ab5
  9. What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates?

What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates?: What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-causes-the-computer-to-do-a-back-out-of-ms/aa5d2630-fd41-4057-960f-86b7892b9ab5
  10. What causes the computer to do a back out of MS updates?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update get to 70 % then backs out

2. windows update restarts several times then reverts