Windows 10: Update control, why don't we have it?

Discus and support Update control, why don't we have it? in Cortana to solve the problem; It use to be that we could choose the updates when installed. We had total control over them, within reason, but it got taken away with windows 8 if... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Demitri1989, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Update control, why don't we have it?

It use to be that we could choose the updates when installed. We had total control over them, within reason, but it got taken away with windows 8 if memory serves at least. I could pick from important updates and optional updates, and even select which updates to do prior to a mandated restart before finishing the rest, going one by one to ensure updates got installed properly. Even the basic users with no computer skills could see 'Important Updates' and 'Optional Updates'.

But with 8 and 10 we have no authority on our updates, we don't even have the authority to when the system restarts. I have had my system force a restart for updates while i was playing World of Warcraft, a game which requires high demand on the system, so why is this?

Why don't we have control over this stuff anymore? why cant we just set it to run restarts or updates at a certain time of day instead of 'inactive hours' which really doesnt help at all seeing as most gamers have varying schedules. My friend has to have her system set up to a metered connection so the computer will never update. She went through 4 days of no computer use because the update process glitched on her and crashed her brand new computer, so she refuses to let the OS update anything and she is going to go online and directly update drivers for the computer parts.

Why Microsoft? Why make such a horrible decision? *obviously this isnt directed at the people that answer the question, but it is the best way to word any update question*

:)

Demitri1989, Oct 19, 2020

2. AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad Core Overclocking possibility

Thanks, have heard this before...is their a step by step procedure to OC using the bios settings you suggest.
    i don’t intend pushing this to its limit...but some increase would be great, any suggestions on a good air cooler ?

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Oct 19, 2020
  3. armym3 Win User
    WarRock 3D Detection don´t works

Hello Guys,

i had a problem with my Card. The card didn´t wanted to change in 3D Modus. Ok now i removed the other 2 Pins and now it runs in 3D Modus in 3DMark06 too. The Card is a HD 2900GT. But my Game WarRock don´t runs in 3D Modus. Is there a List where i can start the game in 3D Manual? Because in Automatic it don´t want start because the Card don´t see that it is an 3D Game. Can someone help me?

armym3, Oct 19, 2020
  4. JDivineŠ Win User

Update control, why don't we have it?

stuff that don`t work

Nice, no answers what so ever... still can`t open new notifications, still right-click don`t work on taskbar... and still no answer as to why

JDivineŠ, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Update control, why don't we have it?

1. Update control, why don't we have it? - Similar Threads - Update control why

2. Different Updates from Server we don't know.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different Updates from Server we don't know.: Hello Together,since the end of the last year some of our users get a message from our Proxy that they are trying to access a site that potentially violates the company Internet Acceptable Use Policy because it matches Potentially malicious sites. I can see that in the...
  3. Different Updates from Server we don't know.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different Updates from Server we don't know.: Hello Together,since the end of the last year some of our users get a message from our Proxy that they are trying to access a site that potentially violates the company Internet Acceptable Use Policy because it matches Potentially malicious sites. I can see that in the...
  4. Why don't I have access?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why don't I have access?: So anytime I try to change security on any folder any shortcut any game, I try to give full controll to myself but says access denied. Says access denied for everything and doesn't allow me to download games. Like to change permissions for users I can't do it. So how do I...
  5. Why don't I have access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why don't I have access?: So anytime I try to change security on any folder any shortcut any game, I try to give full controll to myself but says access denied. Says access denied for everything and doesn't allow me to download games. Like to change permissions for users I can't do it. So how do I...
  6. Why don't I have access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. It looks like we don't have permission to get email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    It looks like we don't have permission to get email: It looks like we don't have permission to get email XYZ How can I receive the we have no permission to connect to your Email address from Window Mail when I have deleted the account in question a long time ago? Now this error message became a source of frustration. And...
  8. Why don't I have control over App Permissions!

Why don't I have control over App Permissions!: Why doesn't windows 10 not allow me to disallow individual permissions?? I was downloading an email program from Microsoft Store and below are just some of the permissions that this software would have had access to!! Why windows, can I not stop these permissions...
  9. Here's a familiar. Why does MS insist we have Cortana when we don't want it??

in Cortana
    Here's a familiar. Why does MS insist we have Cortana when we don't want it??: I have a Windows 10 PC. I don't want Cortana, I don't use Cortana and do not plan to. I have tried many solutions from various resources. It's still there. Now it does says "Suspended" but between it and the Runtime Broker it's allotted 2.8MB at all times from my below...
  10. We have an update for you

We have an update for you: I have a blue box appear on my desktop that says "We have an update fo you" then the choices "Update", "Pick a time", "Snooze". There is no indication it is a real Windows message. Everything on the desktop is locked out. If I do Control/Alt/Del, and launch Task Manager, it...