Windows 10: Update Conundrum

Discus and support Update Conundrum in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have windows 10 home edition (I upgraded from win7 home) but it would be handy if I could RDP into this machine. Unfortunately, the home edition only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ViralStaircase, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Update Conundrum

I have windows 10 home edition (I upgraded from win7 home) but it would be handy if I could RDP into this machine. Unfortunately, the home edition only supports the RDP client, not server - for that, you would need the pro version. Now, I have been given a windows 8 pro edition disk. It would be nice if I could use the win8 pro key to upgrade the win10 home installation directly. Possible?
    I should perhaps stress that the copy of windows 8 pro is completely kosher, not, eg, a download from a torrent site.

:)

ViralStaircase, Oct 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 Update no choice

Has there been an update on the recent conundrum about the updates being forced on the consumer? The posts I have read seems at least a month old and would appreciate an update on the situation.

Regards

Kakashi_569, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Backup conundrum

I had a N95 (i got mugged !!!) ... i made a backup of it on my computer, i recently acquired an E71, since i don't have my old n95 i can't use the switch application, i do have however the n95 backup .nbu. Is there a way to port my contacts and stuff to
    my new E71?

agamennon---01, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Update Conundrum

Unfortunately I think that is not possible as of now.

Your logic is right: With the Windows 8 Pro key you could install Windows 8 Pro and update that to Windows 10 Pro then. And you would also be using Windows 10 Pro, if you now did an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

In newer versions of Windows, Microsoft wants to change the way how an upgrade activates. That way it then might be possible to directly do a clean install of Windows 10, not having to do an upgrade from an older version first. The setup routine then is said to accept keys from Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well. However, these changes currently only are planned for Insider Builds. They are not (not yet?) part of the release version of Windows 10. In how far they want to make upgrading from Home to Pro easier as well? I don't know. But basically, for the key, that is exactly your situation.

I could imagine one way, how it could work: From your Windows 10 Home, use the WIndows options to change the version to Pro. It will tell you that you have to buy the Pro version; don't do that, but instead use the "I have a key" option. Then it will present you an option to enter your Windows 10 Pro key.

Is it maybe possible to phone the Microsoft hotline and to tell them you want to change your Windows 8 key into a Windows 10 one? If they gave you a Windows 10 key, you would be ready to go!

Joergi, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Hi Joergi - thanks for your response. I'll give your suggestions a spin and let you know how I get on *Party

ViralStaircase, Oct 20, 2015
  6. google. from winsupersite

• Open up All Settings and tap or click the Update & Security component.

Update Conundrum [​IMG]

• In Update & Security, drop down to the Activation section on the left and tap or click the "Go to Store" option.

Update Conundrum [​IMG]

• You'll be whisked straight away to the Windows Store app and land directly on the page that provides quick access to purchasing the Windows 10 Pro Pack.

Update Conundrum [​IMG]

$99 later and the upgrade starts. The upgrade that downloads is not like the original Windows 10 upgrade. Its much smaller and takes a lot less time.
    Here you can also enter your Windows 10 Pro product key if you obtained it through other means.z

------------------

firebasejay, Oct 21, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    Thanks for posting the pics, firebasejay! This is the procedure I mean.

Joergi, Oct 21, 2015
  8. Update Conundrum

did it work? you can also do it from the System page (WinKey+X and hit System, then click Upgrade down in the activation section)

firebasejay, Oct 21, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    I don't know. I don't have the problem. *Wink

Joergi, Oct 21, 2015
  10. The problem is, I don't want to pay microsoft any money to upgrade to w10 pro - I have w10 home, and I also have a copy of win8 pro. Obviously I could use the w8 disk to install w8 pro and then upgrade to win10 pro, but I was hoping to avoid all that hassle and simply input the w8 key and upgrade directly. However, it just doesn't seem to be possible...
    Anyway, thanks for the help and advice you've given *Biggrin

ViralStaircase, Oct 24, 2015
  11. Joergi Win User
    I have understood what you want to do.

Have a look at my answer again: If you just wait for the next bigger update (maybe getting out at the beginning of November), then you might already be able to use the Windows 8 Pro key to activate Windows 10 Pro.

Joergi, Oct 24, 2015
  12. I will wait patiently to see if microsoft will oblige! *Wink

ViralStaircase, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Update Conundrum

1. Update Conundrum - Similar Threads - Update Conundrum

2. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?: Windows update keeps breaking my display drivers with every minor update. Every other day I have to reinstall my display driver because after every update when I try to launch a game I get a warning about corrupted/outdated display drivers. Rather than making my PC work...
  3. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?: Windows update keeps breaking my display drivers with every minor update. Every other day I have to reinstall my display driver because after every update when I try to launch a game I get a warning about corrupted/outdated display drivers. Rather than making my PC work...
  4. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 0x80070643 Update error

0x80070643 Update error: Hello,I have read the threads in regard to the update error, it suggested you need the recovery to be at least 250 mg? OK, before delving into making it larger possibly nowhere have I seen yet how to see if it is bigger than 250?I know it is a little more than right clicking...
  6. 0x80070643 Update error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070643 Update error: Hello,I have read the threads in regard to the update error, it suggested you need the recovery to be at least 250 mg? OK, before delving into making it larger possibly nowhere have I seen yet how to see if it is bigger than 250?I know it is a little more than right clicking...
  7. Urgent Windows Update Conundrum: Seeking Community Aid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Urgent Windows Update Conundrum: Seeking Community Aid: Dear Tech-Savvy Community,I find myself in a perplexing predicament with my Windows system and am reaching out to the collective wisdom of this community for assistance. Despite my best efforts, I'm unable to resolve a stubborn issue related to Windows updates, and I'm...
  8. Urgent Windows Update Conundrum: Seeking Community Aid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Urgent Windows Update Conundrum: Seeking Community Aid: Dear Tech-Savvy Community,I find myself in a perplexing predicament with my Windows system and am reaching out to the collective wisdom of this community for assistance. Despite my best efforts, I'm unable to resolve a stubborn issue related to Windows updates, and I'm...
  9. Urgent Windows Update Conundrum: Seeking Community Aid

10. Conundrum with Windows 10 authenticity and upgradability, .Net Framework updates and upgrades.

Conundrum with Windows 10 authenticity and upgradability, .Net Framework updates and upgrades.: Good day Microsoft Community, I have a conundrum I hope you may be able to assist resolve. I purchased a decent i7 laptop with windows 10 pre-installed from a reputable and well known international company in August 2017. In January 2019 I accidentally closed the lid...