Windows 10: Update Crashes Mid-install

Discus and support Update Crashes Mid-install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying update windows to the latest version, but mid-install it crashes, tries again, crashes again, then it realizes something's not right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt034, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Matt034 Win User

Update Crashes Mid-install

Hello, I am trying update windows to the latest version, but mid-install it crashes, tries again, crashes again, then it realizes something's not right and reverts back to before he update.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming

Current Windows: 10 pro, 1809

Tried updating to: win 10 pro, 1909

I tried installing from both the settings app and downloading windows update from the Microsoft website. I have previously installed updates through the update assistant from the Microsoft website, so I'm not sure what has changed sense then.

To be more specific about mid-instal crash: The computer downloads the update, starts to install it and everything seems fine. Then after it auto-restarts to finish the update, it will start up fine and continue to install the update like normal, and then it crashes. It automatically restarts and tries try again, then it crashes again. This time when it restarts it removes the update and my windows 10 1809 starts as if nothing happened which I'm thankful for.

Windows update troubleshooter didn't find any issues.

Unsure if related, but in command prompt I ran "sfc /scannow" and it returned this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 71% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

"sfc /verifyonly" returned:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /VERIFYONLY
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

There is plenty of free space on SSD 300+GB.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks for all the help in advanced.

:)

Matt034, Apr 12, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 12, 2020
  3. niko084 Win User
    Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z 0.8.7 crash on launch

W1zzard is asking you to test so that he can suggest next steps and be able to troubleshoot the issue you have.
    If another version works, it would be one set of steps.
    If several other versions also fail/crash, then it would be another.

Thema:

1. Update Crashes Mid-install - Similar Threads - Update Crashes Mid

2. Warzone crashes 100% of the time mid game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warzone crashes 100% of the time mid game.: Hello, I have a Alienware M15 R6 with an i7, Nvidia 3080, and 16gigs of memory. I bought it to play warzone and it worked great for 3 months Dec- march. In April the game just started crashing mid game after the pre game lobby. The screen freezes, or the game crashes to...
  3. Warzone crashes 100% of the time mid game.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Warzone crashes 100% of the time mid game.: Hello, I have a Alienware M15 R6 with an i7, Nvidia 3080, and 16gigs of memory. I bought it to play warzone and it worked great for 3 months Dec- march. In April the game just started crashing mid game after the pre game lobby. The screen freezes, or the game crashes to...
  4. FH5 crashing mid game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FH5 crashing mid game: Have been having this issue for a long time now Faulting application name: ForzaHorizon5.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6178b442Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x000000017f56b560Faulting...
  5. FH5 crashing mid game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FH5 crashing mid game: Have been having this issue for a long time now Faulting application name: ForzaHorizon5.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6178b442Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x000000017f56b560Faulting...
  6. FSX keeps crashing mid flight.

FSX keeps crashing mid flight.: Hi all, so I have FSX Steam Edition and I've noticed that it keeps crashing mid flight without warning.The mouse will do the blue spinning thing and then the game will just close. 9/10 it'll do it as I go to change view from cockpit to virtual cockpit or locked spot etc.I...
  7. Windows update bluescreens mid update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update bluescreens mid update.: Hello,Recently my pc asked me to update and restart, so I updated it.Everything goes smoothly until it finishes downloading the update, at 100% it just bluescreens, error message is: " system scan at raised IRQL caught improper driver unload" the file that failed is...
  8. Mid update installation issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mid update installation issue: Hi thereI had switched off my laptop since I had to sit for a meeting urgently and my laptop unknowingly started installing the update. Post that, my speakers are not working and after looking in the device manager, I am not able to find my Realtek R software to run the...
  9. PC Mid Update Until...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC Mid Update Until...: Hi hello! So, my PC was mid update, this happened last night. I was right about to go to sleep as the auto update happened at 2am at night and right as the update started, the power in my area went out for miltiple hours. I get back on my PC tonight and unannounced to me...
  10. FSX Crashes in Mid-Flight

FSX Crashes in Mid-Flight: Hello everyone... My FSX is crashing in mid-flight (after takeoff, cruize, landing) while being online on the IVAO's network. Everything is running smooth when randomly FSX freezes and the blue circle mouse icon is appers and then crashes to deskpot (CTD). I think i have...