Windows 10: Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing

Discus and support Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by C bt, May 25, 2022.

1. C bt Win User

Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing

:)

2. Foxfan Win User

Cumulative update KB4598242-OS Build mismatches-W10 20H2

ASUS Vivobook running Win 10 20H2 Home - OS Build 19042.685 (per winver)

WU offers, downloads and then installs KB4598242, and then fails with a "files missing or similar (my recall)-will try again" plus error code 0x8007000D.

I tried letting WU rerun it, same problem, and also cleared SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders, then rerunning. Same problems, same error.

The KB4598242 is listed on MS as being for W10 20H2, and for OS builds 19041.746 and 19042.746 - which aren't my build of 19042.685. I guess this may be why it doesn't install!

Any suggestions as to how I deal with this, including blocking this from WU?

Edit
    I have removed SoftwareDistribution folder etc. which has of course removed the failed update from Update History. However, looking at Updates via Control Panel, I see an update KB4599841 Security Update, same date as first failed install of the other KB..242 (18/1), but this Security Update doesn't appear in Update History, though the MSRT on same date does, under Other Update.

Foxfan, May 25, 2022
  3. Foxfan Win User
    Cumulative update KB4598242-OS Build mismatches-W10 20H2

This is what I've done to date.

1- downloaded the update reset batchfile from the source given, and run it.
    2-immediately rebooted the machine
    3-downloaded the relevant ssu, although this is listed as installed in Control Panel > Programs. Running that msu confirms that it's already on the system.
    4-downloaded the KB4598242 msu from Microsoft, and run it. It started Ok but failed with the same error 0x8007000D
    5-checked with sfc /scannow - no problems reported.

In other words, I've stepped through the suggested processes, but still end up with the update failing to install, and with the same error as when update attempted through WU.

I may try the whole process over again, before attempting anything else.

Foxfan, May 25, 2022
  4. Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 25, 2022
Thema:

1. Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing - Similar Threads - Update failed cannot

2. Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing: Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-failed-cannot-undo-and-parts-os-w10-are/c08c3104-e20c-463e-9d4c-4a0468e8df5d
  3. Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing: Update failed. cannot undo and parts os W10 are missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-failed-cannot-undo-and-parts-os-w10-are/c08c3104-e20c-463e-9d4c-4a0468e8df5d
  4. Updates Failing with Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates Failing with Undoing Changes: Windows 10 update keep failing with the message as follows:We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-failing-with-undoing-changes/abad9cb3-4564-4c81-abb4-e9dc9377f201
  5. Updates Failing with Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates Failing with Undoing Changes: Windows 10 update keep failing with the message as follows:We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-failing-with-undoing-changes/abad9cb3-4564-4c81-abb4-e9dc9377f201
  6. Updates Failing with Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Update Failed, Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Failed, Undoing Changes: Hello, Recently i have not been able to update my Windows 10 PC. It keeps restarting when the update is downloaded and then says "We Couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes".Things i have tried *Deleting software distribution folder* Manually Downloading Updates...
  8. Update Failed, Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Failed, Undoing Changes: Hello, Recently i have not been able to update my Windows 10 PC. It keeps restarting when the update is downloaded and then says "We Couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes".Things i have tried *Deleting software distribution folder* Manually Downloading Updates...
  9. Update Failed, Undoing Changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. w10 update fail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    w10 update fail: the spec are Direkt-Ten slim laptop DTLAPC-14-1, Intel Atom , The laptop has 4GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage Would doing system recovery help or adding the SD card help, With the SD card should it be formatted to Fat 32 or NTFS will window see it as part of C Drive