Windows 10: Update Failed to install

Discus and support Update Failed to install in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, so yesterday I completed an update, the update being the 2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001028)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ViiDough, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Update Failed to install

Hello, so yesterday I completed an update, the update being the 2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001028) update, everything downloaded and installed properly and when I went to do a restart for it to complete the changes I accidentally turned off my computer, causing the update to fail and it saying " We couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer. " the error code is 0x80070002. From there I've tried many things to try to get it to install properly, such as deleting the software distribution folder, running the troubleshooter, installing the update manually, doing the scf scannow command, and other things. It's not like the update is that important, but I'm worried about other more important updates failing to install in the future, plus it's pretty annoying. It downloads and installs properly, but once it's time to restart my computer to complete the changes it gets to 7% before stopping and restarting normally, giving me the same error of 0x80070002 and message of " We couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer. " Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

submitted by /u/ViiDough
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ViiDough, Feb 16, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Feb 16, 2021
  3. chideock Win User
    KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Feb 16, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Update Failed to install

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

Update Failed to install

1. Update Failed to install - Similar Threads - Update Failed install

2. Update fails to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update fails to install: The latest Window 10 update downloads, but does not install: giving an error message code 0x80070643. My computer and keyboard are from Sony and purchased over 9 years ago....
  3. Update fails to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update fails to install: The latest Window 10 update downloads, but does not install: giving an error message code 0x80070643. My computer and keyboard are from Sony and purchased over 9 years ago....
  4. Update installation failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update installation failed: Trying to get the latest build of Windows 11. My machine came to Windows 11 already so I should assume that there is no compatibility issue about the system, however with the latest release of 22H2 I try to update my system but it is having issue. I got error message and I...
  5. Update installation failed

Update installation failed: Trying to get the latest build of Windows 11. My machine came to Windows 11 already so I should assume that there is no compatibility issue about the system, however with the latest release of 22H2 I try to update my system but it is having issue. I got error message and I...
  6. Failed Update Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed Update Install: Hello, My computer will not allow me to download and install the new cumulative update recommended by windows. It brings up a yellow exclamation point and just says failed. Please advise how to rectify this situation as I have never had any issues downloading or installing...
  7. Update failed to install

Update failed to install: Automatic update failed to install 2020-11 Cumulative update preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for X64 KB 4586876. "Could not complete install because an update service was shutting down" System said "Failed to install on 12/3/2020 -...
  8. Update failed to install

Update failed to install: 2019-12 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1909 forx64-based systems (KB453084) failed to install error code Ox80242016. I tried running the update troubleshooter but have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you...
  9. Installing failed updates

Installing failed updates: I want to install 3 failed updates from 10-2-19, but when I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and click "Download" on the appropriate updates, nothing happens. Nothing downloads! Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks much!...
  10. update installation failed

update installation failed: I failed to install update: 2018-07 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4338819). I saw an error code 0x800f0922. I have to say that 2018-06 cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4284835) also failed with...