Windows 10: Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

Discus and support Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have read on another MS site that the upgrade is only to be ran if you have Outlook Mail (Preview) and not Outlook.Com. Can't find the note but I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by banger, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

Basically, Microsoft is changing all Outlook.com accounts to Outlook Mail. They are doing this in stages, so if you're one of the users who's had his/her account changed over, you'll see "Outlook Mail (Preview)" when signing into your email account via a browser.

afleischer, Dec 13, 2015
  2. Leopard Win User
    Leopard, Dec 13, 2015
  3. I must say I was incredibly skeptical of this solution, but it worked. I opened Windows Live Mail, it crashed after 5 seconds, I left it open with the debug/close program window open for about 30 minutes. I then closed the program, re-opened, everything is now working fine.

afleischer, Dec 13, 2015
  4. lgentry Win User

Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

Maybe so but I got it to work just fine simply by having a little patience. I opened WLM about 5 times after applying the update. Each time it would crash. I decided to just leave it alone and after about an hour tried it again and it then ran just fine. I will note here that I do not have any entries in the calendar so that might make a difference in the sync process. I suggest anyone having problems just let it sit overnight and see if it works.

lgentry, Dec 13, 2015
  5. banger Win User
    Back on build 16.4.3528.0331 here until I need to update.

banger, Dec 13, 2015
  6. HeavyHemi Win User
    Try clicking on the Calendar and see if it doesn't still crash. I can, if I open and close the app many times, get it to where it won't crash on opening. However, as soon as I click on the Calendar, it crashes.

HeavyHemi, Dec 13, 2015
  7. I have noticed an annoyance with the new build and that is that on nearly all e-mails containing images I need to approve of them. It gets tedious after a while. I hope that it will eventually learn what senders is safe so I do not have to do that anymore if not then I can not stand it and will go back to the older build.

I today also received an e-mail with an attachment that WLM refuse to read but that works just fine in the Mail 10 app. So I sent myself a test mail with an attachment to see if it was a general issue but my test mail works just fine. So do not know why that other e-mail is problematic!

Joakim Agren, Dec 13, 2015
  8. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

WLM probably identified that particular attachment as potentially containing a virus (which of course doesn't mean that it does).

Click on File > Options > Safety Options, then click on the Security Tab. There's a checkbox next to the option "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Make sure that's unchecked, and you should be able to open any attachment.

afleischer, Dec 13, 2015
  9. ricky464 Win User
    Hi again,

Just received another post from Microsoft Community and it looks like I was right. This patch is not for Win 10. If you download it WLM will crash. There is an upcoming change to Outlook.com and it will be changing to Outlook Mail over the next while. The poster indicated the problems that will occur and that there may be a patch coming for Win 10. If you click on the link below you can follow up with the posts and the reasons for the patch.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-6f6bd6d63521

ricky464, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Hi ricky464 - thanks for passing along the info, but did you read the thread before posting? You're correct, the patch wasn't designed for Windows 10, but it's been mentioned several times before in this thread. Not to get Post-Police on you, just wouldn't want someone reading this entry in the thread and think that they have to dump WLM because they have Windows 10. There are two solutions for now:

1. Uninstall and re-install WLM through the Windows Essentials item in Add/Remove Programs, which will remove the patch and WLM will function until Microsoft decides to destroy the functionality.

2. Install the patch, let WLM crash, close it, re-open it, let it crash 10 times, and then leave it open after the next crash for 30 minutes or longer (the window containing "Debug or Close Program" will remain open). Close and re-open and it should work fine. This is what I (and several others) have done, and WLM is patched and running fine now.

I would expect Microsoft to fix the patch so that it functions on Windows 10, and with Microsoft email accounts that haven't yet been migrated to "Windows Mail (Preview)". But the timetable for that is unknown, and there's no guarantee they will fix the patch, so the solutions above will work in the meantime.

afleischer, Dec 13, 2015
  11. Peter D Win User
    Was using WLM Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) then stupidly applied the dreaded patch without doing enough background research and a few hours later lost my Calendar. Now back to Build 16.4.3528.0331 after going through the Uninstall and re-install WLM through the Windows Essentials item in Add/Remove Programs process. Mail has been OK (so far) through the whole nightmare but calendar entries still all gone. This data is important and I can't afford to lose it.

My system is NOT synched to anything and has never been. The Windows accounts used are all local and I do not use an MS account and do not use any of the MS (or Google) mail systems. Everything has been stored locally on my PC (within an extensive structure of storage directories for the mail) and I've never had any problems. This has been my arrangement for many years across several PCs and systems going back to Win95 when I first started using Outlook Express and finally got to WLM somewhere between Vista and Win7.

I've done a restore of the backed up \AppData\ directories but still no calendar entries.

Assuming the default settings because I've never tried to change them, where EXACTLY is the calendar data stored in the \AppData\ structure and what are the names of the relevant file(s)?

Once I know what I'm looking for, I should be able to get the data from the backups. I'm assuming here that Microsoft itself hasn't sabotaged WLM to force people onto the useless Win 10 app and that WLM will actually still recognise the calendar data stored in the local drive.

Peter D, Dec 13, 2015
  12. HeavyHemi Win User
    It's located at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

HeavyHemi, Dec 13, 2015
  13. gtspeck Win User

I saw this on Forbes Tech and it worked for me.
    Uninstall the Hotfix KB3093594 (d-Mail.msp) Run Command Prompt as administrator .
    Copy and paste the following code:"Msiexec /package {B775C26B-EAA8-4A11-ACBF-76E52DF6B805} /uninstall {342DCD5D-5946-453B-97AC-D53B7662EDF5}"

DON'T INCLUDE THE QUTATION MARKS

Click “Repair”, when the msp wizards asks to remove or repair the application.
    Once it finishes you need to restart
    After that you can synchronize the calendar again.
    Hopefully Microsoft will come out with a patch for Windows 10.*sarc

gtspeck, Dec 13, 2015
  14. Peter D Win User
    HeavyHemi...thanks for that...I expected that was the right general location but was looking for more specific detail down to the file level. Attached is a screen dump showing the hidden and system protected operating system files in the C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Calendars directory. I have only a single calendar but I've no idea where it is in this and I'm trying to figure out how to get it back to where it needs to be for the WLM to read it.

Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM [​IMG]

I'm assuming (hoping?) that what I want is somewhere in the Backup folder from 09:30 on 14/12/2015 because the calendar data was still showing up then but was gone before the 18:41 folder the same day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter D, Dec 13, 2015
  15. HeavyHemi Win User
    The WLCalendarStore.edb in the Backup directory should be the data store for the calendar

HeavyHemi, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM - Similar Threads - Update Live Essentials

2. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Windows Live Mail 2012: Please go back to updating WLM... Since OE express, it is the BEST email program Microsoft has created. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-windows-live-mail-2012/429bf238-3bc5-46b2-89fd-8c5dcd86ef1c
  3. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Windows Live Mail 2012: Please go back to updating WLM... Since OE express, it is the BEST email program Microsoft has created. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-windows-live-mail-2012/429bf238-3bc5-46b2-89fd-8c5dcd86ef1c
  4. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Mail 2012: Hello, We use Windows Live Mail, but since yesterday we cannot send any mails anymore. The mails we receive have following error message : The message cannot be displayed Windows Live Mail has detected an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check that...
  6. Windows Live mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live mail 2012: I use live mail 2012 and was aware of the end of support. 2 days ago I find my access to my emails has been blocked by error0x800C013E. Not able to send or receive and not able to open any of my email folders. No idea how to resolve. Can someone help?...
  7. Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Live Mail 2012: since windows 10 updates send link greyed out try as I may I can not resolve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/live-mail-2012/47c464e1-f0b6-4024-8b75-a054bc6181cf
  8. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: Hi I have just installed windows 10 upgrade and everything is fine but my email. I use WLM 2012 for work with my work signature on it and it wont work properly. It seems to give this error message when i try and send " the message cannot be sent an error has occured"....
  9. New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

in Browsers and Email
    New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM): 16 June was the date MS started migrating Outlook.com accounts to the sync protocol supported by all MS messaging products. POP3 and IMAP are still supported. Two of my three Outlook.com accounts have been migrated. The symptom on my machine was that I could not connect...
  10. Live essentials 2012 failed to install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Live essentials 2012 failed to install: Hi all, hope some good sould could help me here.*Smile I want to install back live mail 2012 but at the end of the installation it keeps on reporting the following: It looks like another program is preventing the installer from working. Error: 0x80070643 Source:...