Windows 10: Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

Discus and support Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; HeavyHemi, you are a lifesaver!!! Thank you so much. Copied the WLCalendarStore.edb file from the backup folder to replace the one in the DBStore... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by banger, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Peter D Win User

Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

HeavyHemi, you are a lifesaver!!! Thank you so much.

Copied the WLCalendarStore.edb file from the backup folder to replace the one in the DBStore folder and when I reopened the WLM my calendar entries were back!!! Bloody marvellous!

Thanks again.

Peter D, Dec 14, 2015

2. afleischer: Let us know if Joakim's instructions worked for you. I just unistalled WLM, installed it again, installed the patch and it was still crashing. I will try to run it without the patch but of course this is not a long term solution as according to microsoft it will stop working soon.

I am avoiding changing to a new e-mail client as moving all my calendar entries will be a MAJOR pain... :S

Harrierbird, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Yes, Joakim's instructions worked! To be clear, here's what you do:

Install the patch, let WLM crash, close it, re-open it, Repeat the process 10 times, and then re-open it one more time and leave it open after the crash for 30 minutes or longer (the window containing "Debug or Close Program" will remain open). Close and re-open and it should work fine. WLM is patched and running fine now for me!

afleischer, Dec 14, 2015
  4. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM

I installed the patch and finally uninstalled it after 2 days. I had the original WLM 2012 on Windows 10 - no problems.

My wife and I share our WLM instance, and each have ~5000-6000 messages in our accounts (sent, received etc). I have sorted most of my email into sub-folders. Went through the usual problems described here, and then some.

We use the calendar extensively as well, so that in itself was a deal breaker (the Windows 10 calendar app only syncs back 90 days - no options). I did turn off the calendar sign in on WLM to get it to work. I found that depending on when you toggle it on or off, it goes to the start or end of the sync list, which affects whether WLM crashes on startup, or at some 'random' time after.

Back to email - it took more than a few dozen attempts to get the email sync'd. I tried with the old storage location, and then again by creating a new one (assuming that some newer indexing was causing the issues). On every run, it would pick a random number of emails from an arbitrary folder to download. Then it would pull "0 of nnn messages", and finally get stuck showing connection errors. Restart app, and the cycle starts again with another arbitrary set of messages.

For the longest time, it only got headers by repeating this over and over. Finally it got most messages, but skipped random message's content and they remained headers only. All this over a period of ~12-15 hours, forcing WLM to check mail again, or closing it and starting it manually.

Finally, once all the mail and content was sync'd (except the few random ones which remained as headers) I had the following findings:
    • the skipped messages all had more than one attachment
    • the total size of the message folder containg ALL our email was ~3.5GB
    • All the 'Sent' messages lost their "To" field - "To" showed my email address from which the messages were sent, and "From" itself was empty.
    • As reported by someone else, most messages showed "unsafe sender" message, and did not allow me to mark them as safe - I could only select the option to display images.
    • Last straw was that the folder structure disappeared. After having taken so long to download, the structure was there on the file system, but WLM just refused to open folders (it showed them initially while I was downloading - then the were gone from the UI).
    • I finally gave up on this, until MS forces me to update when our accounts change to ActiveSync. Went back to the old version of WLM2012, and it downloaded.

Just for perspective, WLM original version took ~30 minutes to bring down the 12,000 odd messages totaling 3.5GB to a new storage folder (vs 12-15 hours and lot of pain with corrupted messages on the patched version) - so it is not because there are too many messages or because the connection is slow.

On a side note, I also have an account set up on Outlook served out of India. That got upgraded to ActiveSync / Outlook a couple of months ago. It stopped working with the unpatched WLM2012 at the time of the change. That started synchronizing with the patched version, and that is a small account (only a few hundred text emails and NO custom sub-folders), but that also took many iterations and was very very slow to pull the messages down.

TheCanadaMan, Dec 14, 2015
  5. lgentry Win User
    It's my understanding that unless you are using WLM to get @outlook.com, @Hotmail.com, @msn.com email you will not need the update. It will continue to work for other @emailaccouts just fine.

lgentry, Dec 14, 2015
  6. mmortal03 Win User
    For those of you running the patched version, I'm curious to know what yours now says under Accounts->Properties->Server->Server URL. I've already rolled back to the non-patched version, because mine wouldn't sync (would get stuck whenever checking for new messages), but before I rolled back, I checked my Server URL, and it still said the following (with DeltaSync in the URL). Could this be the reason why, after patching, it would no longer sync?
    Code: https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx[/quote]

mmortal03, Dec 14, 2015
  7. Peter D Win User
    Igentry....Thank the gods for that...love WLM but have never had any use for @outlook.com, @Hotmail.com, @msn.com and similar generic email services. The secure SPAMless email service provided through my ISP is all I need.
    Probably would be a bit less confusion for old-school types like me if Microsoft sometimes considered the possibility that not everybody wants to be involved in their interconnected dream world and uses communication channels provided by somebody other than them.

Peter D, Dec 14, 2015
  8. jyusa Win User

[/quote] Mine is patched: Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0918) and working perfect now! And Server URL is: https://mail.services.live.com/Delta....0.0/sync.aspx exactly same as yours.

jyusa, Dec 14, 2015
  9. mmortal03 Win User
    Interesting. Did you have to leave it checking for new messages for a long time? Maybe I just wasn't patient enough.

mmortal03, Dec 14, 2015
  10. jyusa Win User
    My WLM is active program (Always on) and message is set to send/receive every 1 minute. I've been running Build 0918 for over 40 hours on all my 3 windows 10 PCs.

Maybe you need a little bid more patience!

jyusa, Dec 14, 2015
  11. HeavyHemi Win User
    Have you tried clicking on the Calendar yet? That's what causes a crash every time even if you can get WLM to finally start up and not crash.

HeavyHemi, Dec 14, 2015
  12. jyusa Win User
    No, I didn't try, but I read about that. Why would I do that if everything running well? Just try to see if I can kill it? To me, this is the best solution than not to patch it so far.

jyusa, Dec 14, 2015
  13. HeavyHemi Win User

Because as soon as your calendar decides to sync or if you try to update your calendar it will probably crash. I'd think it would be just a few minutes to test it out to either verify that is the case or, you're actually working "perfectly". IMO, since it operates normally without the patch currently, the best solution is to not use the patch, right?

HeavyHemi, Dec 14, 2015
  14. jyusa Win User
    My personal calendar does sync well with WLM 0918 and updated as I can see that from Calendar Pane in WLM. I think that we all know MS will make a change of this shortly, without update with this patch, the send and receive will stop working, and why would we believe to stay without patching it is a better idea than a solution is already available?

It maybe a good idea for you to wait a few more days to decide to proceed to do the patch! After all, anything can happen.

jyusa, Dec 14, 2015
  15. Well... All I can say is that the opening, crashing, closing a number of times and then leaving open for a period of time did nothing for me. I just did that and left WLM (crashed) open overnight, closed it, reopened and still crashed. I tried rebooting to see if that would help, reopened WLM and it crashed again...

If anyone has a fix that works (other than this one) do let me know... :\

One step away from installing Thunderbird and moving all my calendar entries to google calendar. :S

Harrierbird, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM - Similar Threads - Update Live Essentials

2. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Windows Live Mail 2012: Please go back to updating WLM... Since OE express, it is the BEST email program Microsoft has created. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-windows-live-mail-2012/429bf238-3bc5-46b2-89fd-8c5dcd86ef1c
  3. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Windows Live Mail 2012: Please go back to updating WLM... Since OE express, it is the BEST email program Microsoft has created. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-windows-live-mail-2012/429bf238-3bc5-46b2-89fd-8c5dcd86ef1c
  4. Update Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Mail 2012: Hello, We use Windows Live Mail, but since yesterday we cannot send any mails anymore. The mails we receive have following error message : The message cannot be displayed Windows Live Mail has detected an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check that...
  6. Windows Live mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live mail 2012: I use live mail 2012 and was aware of the end of support. 2 days ago I find my access to my emails has been blocked by error0x800C013E. Not able to send or receive and not able to open any of my email folders. No idea how to resolve. Can someone help?...
  7. Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Live Mail 2012: since windows 10 updates send link greyed out try as I may I can not resolve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/live-mail-2012/47c464e1-f0b6-4024-8b75-a054bc6181cf
  8. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: Hi I have just installed windows 10 upgrade and everything is fine but my email. I use WLM 2012 for work with my work signature on it and it wont work properly. It seems to give this error message when i try and send " the message cannot be sent an error has occured"....
  9. New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

in Browsers and Email
    New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM): 16 June was the date MS started migrating Outlook.com accounts to the sync protocol supported by all MS messaging products. POP3 and IMAP are still supported. Two of my three Outlook.com accounts have been migrated. The symptom on my machine was that I could not connect...
  10. Live essentials 2012 failed to install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Live essentials 2012 failed to install: Hi all, hope some good sould could help me here.*Smile I want to install back live mail 2012 but at the end of the installation it keeps on reporting the following: It looks like another program is preventing the installer from working. Error: 0x80070643 Source:...