Windows 10: Update from 10 to 10 pro failed got new retail key from support for fr

Discus and support Update from 10 to 10 pro failed got new retail key from support for fr in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I just bought new msi ge62 laptop and it had windows 10 home, I tried to transfer my old 8 pro key and make it 10 pro but it kept saying that "this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mad dog, Dec 26, 2015.

1. mad dog Win User

Update from 10 to 10 pro failed got new retail key from support for fr

So I just bought new msi ge62 laptop and it had windows 10 home, I tried to transfer my old 8 pro key and make it 10 pro but it kept saying that "this windows version cannot be updated".
    So I called local Microsoft support number and they couldn't make it work either, so that support guy made me new 10 pro retail key for free!

My question is that is my old 8 pro retail key still valid and can I keep my current 10 pro install in my old laptop too?

They are separate keys but still I wonder if he somehow disabled that older key or is it still valid?

Did I really "score" full retail 10 key with my cheap 15 8 pro key without even losing that 8 pro key in the process?

:)

mad dog, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Blomqma Win User

Win 10 activation

To clarify, my current Windows 10 Pro activation is not an upgrade from a previous version of Windows. I bought the license this year from Kinguin.net to activate my Win 10 Pro (fresh install, new PC) and that was the first time that key was used so it
    is not an upgrade. If I got it right, my license is a full version (retail) and is transferable to my new build. One thing to consider is that when I got the product key it was labeled as a OEM version in Kinguin.net but when i check my activation through
    cmd in Windows 10 it says it's a retail version. Considering my current activation is a full retail version, how will I be able to transfer it to my new build without linking my digital license to my Microsoft account?

Blomqma, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Eriond Win User
    Activation failure for Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro

Installed Windows 10 Pro free upgrade om my Window 7 Ultimate. Two days in, I could not activate Windows. Used product key from purchased Windows 10 Pro [retail], which did work for two days. Now Windows 10 is inactive and will not activate with current
    key. The purchased key is in use on new build. So much for free upgrade!!! Phone support [automated] says to buy new Windows 10.

Eriond, Dec 26, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Your Windows 8 Pro key is not disabled. Normally what you have to do to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 8 Pro product key is first upgrade to Pro with the generic Windows 10 Pro product key, then use your Windows 8 Pro product key to activate it. Sounds like you got lucky and a good deal. Make sure to write down the 10 Pro key and keep it safe.

NavyLCDR, Dec 27, 2015
  5. mad dog Win User
    Ok it is in a txt file in my external drive and in my gmail box.
    But that generig key with non activated windows 10 pro was the first thing that I tried to get.
    when I input that key it started the operation and rebooted, however after it rebooted it said something like "this windows version cannot be upgraded"
    I cannot be sure of exact wording because my os is in Finnish so that is just my translation of the message.

But I got that error with generic key and with my 8 pro key and even with that new 10 pro retail key, so after that I said fu*k it and reinstalled windows 10 pro with generic key inside a pid file.

So that's why they give me 10 pro key.

So now I have 2 working 8 pro retail keys (bought from Microsoft when they where 15 peace and also 10 pro retail key?!

Whoever said that legal windows pro keys are too pricy where wrong (rolleyes)

Thanks for the info and happy new year, now is that time again where we need to learn how write 2016 in all forms and documents instead of 2015.

mad dog, Dec 27, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can run all the product keys through Superfly's Showkeyplus program using the check product key menu option. It will tell you what versions of Windows they are for. Maybe it is possible the product keys are for N or Single Language editions:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Dec 27, 2015
  7. mad dog Win User
    nope is says that my bios key is win 10 RTM Core OEM*BiggrinM so it shouldn't be that windows 10 n series either, even tough i live in eu area (Finland) i haven't never seen any of those n series windows versions.
    currently i have that free windows 10 pro retail installed and this also shows it to be the case, so my old pc sought be fine with it's old 8 pro key (upgraded to 10 pro) and it will not start to cry about that my new pc has once been activated with that key.

now this new pc has that new 10 pro retail key and that old pc has it's old key.

mad dog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update from 10 to 10 pro failed got new retail key from support for fr - Similar Threads - Update pro failed

2. BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER: I bought a full copy of Windows 10 Pro from newegg, not an OEM copy. After trying to tech the new build for 3 weekends, thinking it was a bad CPU or memory stick, I took it to the local repair shop. He tried to install from the USB and got the same blue screen I was getting...
  3. Can I use the retail windows 10 pro key in a new pc or laptop which I got from a used laptop ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use the retail windows 10 pro key in a new pc or laptop which I got from a used laptop ?: I have bought a used laptop it's come with a windows 10 pro retail key .Now I have the key and it connected with my Microsoft account .If my laptop get stolen or dead can I use my retail key on new pc or laptop?...
  4. Transfer of Windows 10 Pro Retail License from old PC to a new PC

Transfer of Windows 10 Pro Retail License from old PC to a new PC: I had purchased a Windows 7 PC, and upgraded my PC to Windows 8 Pro during the upgrade offer by purchasing a Windows 8 pro license. Now I would like to transfer my license to another PC because i am thinking of disposing of my old PC. My digital license is linked to my...
  5. Windows 10 pro cheap retail keys

Windows 10 pro cheap retail keys: Some sellers sells windows 10 pro cheap retail product keys. They works properly and active windows. Also its a digital license. But are they real? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-cheap-retail-keys/bc9d12a2-833b-49a1-8e8e-685b0ce15f9e
  6. is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail: Hi, I just bought a new PC yesterday with windows 10 pro OEM. Is it possible to upgrade it to windows 10 pro retail? OEM to retail is the only change I want to do. Since it's a new PC which did not arrive from the store yet, I don't care if data will be lost. I DON'T have a...
  7. Failed Activation - Failed to move Windows 10 Retail from an old PC to a new PC

Failed Activation - Failed to move Windows 10 Retail from an old PC to a new PC: I would like some advice on how to proceed: Situation: I'm scrapped my old PC for a new one. I checked the installed Product KEY using an app and noted it down before deactivating the KEY from the old PC. The following info for my old PC: Product Name: Window 10 Home...
  8. Transfering a Retail windows 10 pro key from a PC thats been destroyed.

Transfering a Retail windows 10 pro key from a PC thats been destroyed.: Hi Last august my youngest daughter spilled juice into the top of my PC and rendered it useless, I had a Windows 10 Pro key that I bought online a few months prior, I still have the key in an e-mail but I cannot use it. I bought a laptop that came with windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 pro Retail key

Windows 10 pro Retail key: I was using a retail key in my pc without any problem but suddenly my motherboard was gone and I got a replacement from manufacturer. From then I was facing windows activation problem, I contacted microsoft via skypee voice chat, the agent asks for the key and I told her....
  10. Windows 10 Pro Retail Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro Retail Key: I often change motherboard. If I buy the retail key, how many motherboard I can change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-retail-key/561e9289-3694-45e3-a87d-6873f21a54f4