Windows 10: Update from usb drive?

Discus and support Update from usb drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm getting a new Windows 10 pc which (initially) will have no internet access. Can I just download the latest update file (kb4532695) on my laptop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lazy_pig, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Update from usb drive?

I'm getting a new Windows 10 pc which (initially) will have no internet access.

Can I just download the latest update file (kb4532695) on my laptop, copy that onto a usb drive and run it on the Windows 10 pc?

I ask because info about this is rather confusing, where you have to use 'Microsoft's Media Creation Tool' or 'WSUS Offline Update', when on Windows 7 it's just a matter of running the update from a usb drive.

TIA

submitted by /u/lazy_pig
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lazy_pig, Feb 9, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Update from usb drive? nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Feb 9, 2020
  3. USB Drive no longer recognized by Windows 10 since last update

Hi Cathie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to backup Quicken files on the USB flash drive after the latest update.

Do let us know the following to understand the issue and assist you better:

• Which was the latest update had been installed on your device?
    • Is the flash drive detected on your operating system?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed while trying to resolve this issue?
    • Is the flash drive being detected on any other device?

As a workaround, I suggest you to connect the flash drive to different USB ports and check if it is detected.

Step 1: I suggest you to Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Press Windows
      key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.

• Press Windows
      key and type updates.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.

• Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Update from usb drive?

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Update from usb drive?

1. Update from usb drive? - Similar Threads - Update usb drive

2. Recovery drive from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery drive from USB: Hi, Running Win 11 and want to start using some backup for emergencies.For recover drive, the method below is easy to follow, UNTIL item 3 as it comes with a warning before "NEXT" which warns that all files will be erased. If my USB fails, and I do not get the transfer, does...
  3. Recovery drive from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery drive from USB: Hi, Running Win 11 and want to start using some backup for emergencies.For recover drive, the method below is easy to follow, UNTIL item 3 as it comes with a warning before "NEXT" which warns that all files will be erased. If my USB fails, and I do not get the transfer, does...
  4. Update Win11 from a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Win11 from a bootable USB drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series laptop. It was having problems installing a Win11 update and Dell Support assist would not install. Frustrated, I reset the SSD using DISKPART > Clean. I have reinitialized and reformatted the SSD to contain a single partition. I...
  5. Update Win11 from a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Win11 from a bootable USB drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series laptop. It was having problems installing a Win11 update and Dell Support assist would not install. Frustrated, I reset the SSD using DISKPART > Clean. I have reinitialized and reformatted the SSD to contain a single partition. I...
  6. Can't update Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update Windows from USB drive: I have an old Microsoft Surface 3 that has been sitting around on a shelf for many months and decided to dust it off to update it to current Windows & app versions, but was unable to connect to the internet (I started a thread in the Networking section) so thought I'd update...
  7. Booting from USB Drive

Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  8. Issues with reinstalling from USB drive

Issues with reinstalling from USB drive: A couple of days ago, due to some issues with Windows updates that weren't completely installed on my computer, my laptop crashed and has since then been unable to move past the Lenovo logo screen. I decided to create a Windows 10 installer USB drive and then followed the...
  9. Booting from USB drive questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting from USB drive questions: OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup. That works to the point of showing my choices,...
  10. Launch app from USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Launch app from USB drive: I have just gotten Windows 10 Surface Pro(2017) which comes with 512GB SSD drive. I want to create a data partition out of this SSD. I know the W10 utility(disk management) appears to allow this, but I want to use a utility I have used for long time. My problem is that the...