Windows 10: Update gave me a new drive letter

Discus and support Update gave me a new drive letter in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rick Altman, May 28, 2018.

1. Update gave me a new drive letter

Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had previously assigned that drive letter to my Dropbox folders. The additional annoyance is the periodic warning that the drive is running low on space. It appears to be a new partition of my first drive, created for no apparent purpose:

Update gave me a new drive letter [​IMG]

I cannot treat it like a regular drive; I cannot use built-in tools to reassign its drive letter. Why did Windows see fit to create this new drive, and more important, how can I remove or rename it?

:)

Rick Altman, May 28, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I updated Windows, and it gave me a new hard drive

Hi Tbb96, this is a known issue in the 1803 Update,

It is the recovery drive, you are not meant to see it, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter

list volume

Note down the letter associated with that new drive

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter)

select volume X

remove letter=X

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

DaveM121, May 28, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, May 28, 2018
Thema:

Update gave me a new drive letter

1. Update gave me a new drive letter - Similar Threads - Update gave drive

2. Windows 10 update tool gave me the wrong version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update tool gave me the wrong version: upgrading from win 8.1 pro 64.......received win 10 home 64....do not understand how that happened. bios restriction?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-tool-gave-me-the-wrong-version/639548b0-b813-48a7-8d81-48ae12b21fc6
  3. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  4. Update gave me BSOD

Update gave me BSOD: Last night my laptop would give me the Bsod everytime i turned it on. I managed to fix it by doing a system restore. I turned it on today and it worked all fine and dandy, but then i went to check windows updates and it was installing the new update in the background. I...
  5. Yesterdays update gave me a BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Yesterdays update gave me a BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED I can't use a restore point, repair it using startup, or even reset it because apparently it said "an update is still going on in the background" or something like that. I do have a CD, is that my only option? submitted by /u/k3hvn [link] [comments]...
  6. New kb4505903 update gave me a bsod with 0xc0000142 stop code

New kb4505903 update gave me a bsod with 0xc0000142 stop code: After my computer tried to restart while updating it blue screens with a 0xc0000142 stop code and restarts to another blue screen. I've tried commands in command prompt and startup repair always fails. I can't uninstall updates and I could only get it working by resetting my...
  7. A recent windows 10 Update that gave me bit miner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A recent windows 10 Update that gave me bit miner: Explanation So im just doing my usuall buisiness one night, decided to shut down my computer and go to sleep, as usual there was an update and i coudnt shut down without "updating and shut down", nothing unsuall there but the next morning, the update fails and changes start...
  8. New drive letter on update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New drive letter on update: After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came from, what is on it (shows empty), and if formatting it (to get rid of the low space warnings) will hurt anything. It's not the...
  9. New drive letter after update

in Windows 10 Support
    New drive letter after update: After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came from, what is on it (shows empty), and if formatting it (to get rid of the low space warnings) will hurt anything. It's not the...
  10. Update gave me a new drive letter -- I don't want it!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update gave me a new drive letter -- I don't want it!: Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had previously assigned that drive letter to my Dropbox folders. The additional annoyance is the periodic warning that the drive is...