Windows 10: Update has messed up my computer

Discus and support Update has messed up my computer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Can't open start menu, settings or anything like that. The way i display my homescreen has changed completely, internet not working and when i restart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/megalines, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Update has messed up my computer

Can't open start menu, settings or anything like that. The way i display my homescreen has changed completely, internet not working and when i restart my computer nothing changes.

i updated my computer last night after being prompted and now I just can't do anything on it. it was fine before i updated and restarted, so its not me. help!!!

even when i tried going into display settings, it says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action."

when i try to run ms-settings, it says windows can't find it. has an update really deleted the settings menu? surely not.

submitted by /u/megalines
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/megalines, Sep 29, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update has messed up my computer :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 29, 2020
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    CHKDSK messed up

Continue with zbook's excellent instructions.

But if you want to try and get into the BIOS again just to check:
    From your product's website:
    Opening the Startup Menu during system startup on computers

Follow these steps to open the Startup menu when the computer is powered off.

1. Turn on the computer.
    2. Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

You should get this option:

Update has messed up my computer [​IMG]

Also: please don't forget to answer Golden's question regarding how the keyboard is connected.

4. TaraRoof Win User

Update has messed up my computer

Windows 10 update messed up my computer

Windows 10 update messed up my computer. I have tried all of the suggestions. Nothing is working. Now I can't even log onto my computer. I need to talk to somebody on the phone. Can someone please help me?

TaraRoof, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Update has messed up my computer

1. Update has messed up my computer - Similar Threads - Update has messed

2. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  3. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  4. windows update messes up my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows update messes up my computer: Hello,I accidentally hit update and shutdown, and it messes up my computer. My computer keeps shutting down automatically without me knowing why, earlier it restarted 5x in an hour and I'm not happy with it so I revert the upsares, but it won't help. I suddenly realize that...
  5. windows update messes up my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update messes up my computer: Hello,I accidentally hit update and shutdown, and it messes up my computer. My computer keeps shutting down automatically without me knowing why, earlier it restarted 5x in an hour and I'm not happy with it so I revert the upsares, but it won't help. I suddenly realize that...
  6. Update messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update messed up my computer: After the latest update I woke up to find All but three Desktop icons and all my start menu Icons had disappeared,along with numerous programmes and apps not working, I spent a couple of days trying to rectify the problems, got one or two apps to work, then uninstalled the...
  7. Windows update messed up my computer

Windows update messed up my computer: I updated my computer 12-24-19 and ever since that update i am unable to drag windows such as a google chrome window from one screen to another with my mouse, i cant drag and move the applications on my desktop. I have checked all my drivers, ive cleaned ip my pc, I dont have...
  8. Last Update Messed Up My Computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last Update Messed Up My Computer: I'm just fed up with dealing with these things and thought I'd pose a question here. Everything was fine until the last Windows 10 update. Now: - My computer wakes up literally every night unless I shut it down every time - When I get up in the morning and it has...
  9. windows update messed up my computer

windows update messed up my computer: Windows 10 Home, version 1903, installed 7/19/2019, OS build 18362.239 Lost my video display settings and had to re-install video driver. Lost my audio settings (headphones, external audio amplifier). Took my about an hour to get it thanks to guidance from internet. Can...
  10. update messed up my computer

update messed up my computer: I cannot describe with simple words how much I hate Windows 10, this last updated messed up my computer AGAIN to a degree my whole desktop Disappeared, all my pin apps are not any where I can find, It crashes and restart out of the blue when I am in the middle of call and...