Windows 10: Update has wiped my entire computer

Discus and support Update has wiped my entire computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Looking for some help. I turned my computer on and it was mid update. Next time i've opened it up and gone to log in everything has gone! Literally the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlinaBlain, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Update has wiped my entire computer

Looking for some help. I turned my computer on and it was mid update. Next time i've opened it up and gone to log in everything has gone! Literally the home screen is blank other than the recycling logo. The windows logo won't open anything. The only way i managed to get the internet page up was through the task manager and can open nothing else.

All my photos, documents, programs have gone!!

Can anyone help me restore my computer to how it was? Can't believe i've literally lost everything :-(

:)

AlinaBlain, Nov 23, 2018

2. Cant activate windows 10 after wipe, key is from windows 8.1 that i upgraded from

Hi Ryan,

To assist you better, we would like to confirm if Windows 10 is activated before you wiped your computer.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the Activation troubleshooter. To do this, follow these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Update & security.
    • On the left pane, choose Activation.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Nov 23, 2018
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Update has wiped my entire computer :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Update has wiped my entire computer

New Windows Update Rearranged My Entire Computer

Hello,

To troubleshoot your issue we need to know which update is causing this issue. Please let us know what is the KB number of the update you have installed?

To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the below steps:

• In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

• In the left pane, click View update history.

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes.

Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed.

I suggest you to restart the system once and check if it helps:

In rare cases, a specific update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the
    next time Windows Updates are installed.

I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps.

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

Update has wiped my entire computer

1. Update has wiped my entire computer - Similar Threads - Update has wiped

2. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  3. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  4. Does Installing windows 7 wipe the computer entirely?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Installing windows 7 wipe the computer entirely?: So my question isn't the most accurate, I'm wondering if there are any common problems with reinstalling windows 7. So I don't have the original installation disc so I have to get a third party one online, I checked for malware and I'm about to install it. My laptop seems to...
  5. Does Installing windows 7 wipe the computer entirely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Installing windows 7 wipe the computer entirely?: So my question isn't the most accurate, I'm wondering if there are any common problems with reinstalling windows 7. So I don't have the original installation disc so I have to get a third party one online, I checked for malware and I'm about to install it. My laptop seems to...
  6. Windows update wiped my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update wiped my computer: I just did the windows update last night and i woke up to my computer needing to reinstall windows. I tried to recover to a past point and was unable to due to it wiping my information. Has this happened to anyone?...
  7. Forced update wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced update wiped my computer.: I just booted up and found that Microsoft did a forced update that wiped my computer clean. It is now like an out of the box brand new computer save for virus software, quicken, and turbo tax. No pictures, no files, my business is gone, no favorites. Nothing. Any suggestions?...
  8. New Update Wipes My Computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Update Wipes My Computer: There was recently a new update for Windows 10 and it wipes majority of my apps and settings on my laptop. Everytime I turn off my computer it resets and only leaves Google Chrome installed out of all the apps and files on my computer. Please help me fix this....
  9. Computer has been wiped

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer has been wiped: I had my computer in a pawn shop long stort short it was past due and the guy had to get into it because it was password protected. So he had it wiped.used a trial version of avast cool I thought. Now I bought the updated premium version of avast now I cant even get a...
  10. Computer has stopped working entirely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer has stopped working entirely: My computer has stopped working and i do not know why, its a dell with windows 10 running on it and after a crash with the error code being critical process died, the blue screen came up and after a while with the 0% not going up it restarted my computer and now its saying...