Windows 10: Update History. What do you see ?

Discus and support Update History. What do you see ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My update history is blank as can be seen here. It wasn't, but it is now. This is a new clean install and there were a handful of successful updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mooly, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

Update History. What do you see ?

My update history is blank as can be seen here. It wasn't, but it is now. This is a new clean install and there were a handful of successful updates showing the other day. Is what I see here normal or not ?

Two things I have done,

1/ Run a full Disk clean including system files. Does that remove the update history ?

2/ I've been checking out W10's own disk imaging utility and made and then restored an image. Could that be responsible ?

(I hit a similar issue way back with W8.1 when I was testing and using AOMEI backupper software. That wiped the history on a restore, presumably because some temp file or file extension wasn't included in the backup)

:)

Mooly, Dec 15, 2015

2. What update do you want to see for Symbian^3 for the last time?

Can we have the update for the keyboard to remove the smiling face, change of language & minimize the keyboard? This is useless for me and I'm sure for others as well. Please update.

Another problem, when I select the url , it show the keyboard but sometimes it will also coverup the page. I need to see the page inorder to know what to type for security code which require for some site and even have limited period of time.

Please bring the the user interface that we should have.

Screen28[1].jpg

Screen29[1].jpg

Screen32[1].jpg

zlebronjames, Dec 15, 2015
  3. What update do you want to see for Symbian^3 for the last time?

• Full screen webbrowser and full view in the email client viewing a message
    • Folderview for photos and of course to see thumbnails for pictures in the file manager. And to have the latest taken photos at the top instead of scrolling down the whole list of taken photos.
    • Week view in the calender for 808, 701 and 700 (as now only for E6) N8?
    • The long ongoing problem with the stuttering audio when listening to Nokia Internet Radio and at the samt time webbrowsing. This seems to be a problem when having a shortcut or widget for NIR on a homescreen.

Ztuka---01, Dec 15, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

I can't see your picture. Are you referring to update history in the new settings or installed updates in the old control panel or both? Updating from build 10240 to 10586 clears the first but not the second, at least for me...

The update history is stored in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb file. You could check the properties and see when it was created and if that ties in with anything (installation / restoring backup etc)

5. Mooly Win User
    Sorry about that, I didn't attach any (oops). I'll edit the first post and attach it in a moment..

Yes, I'm looking under the new 'settings > advanced options > view your update history'. That is blank. The file you mention shows as last modified today and Windows reports it is up to date. The old control panel view shows the correct updates as installed.

Mooly, Dec 15, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Not the last modified date - the creation date. Right click on it and look under properties.

Reason being you could delete (or not restore) the whole of SofwareDistribution for example. Windows update will recreate it when it next runs but your update history will be gone so the date it is created is interesting to know. The last modified will always be today (assuming that your system checks for updates daily).

7. Mooly Win User
    Created a few moments ago, that is because I was playing with Backup/Restore and restored an image. I do actually suspect the restore process as being the culprit.

(Back in a little while)

Mooly, Dec 15, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

You are correct. I just made a backup using the MS system image tool. That file is not backed up.

I've no idea if that is a bug or by design but it explains why you aren't seeing history after restore as it was recreated.

p.s. if you want to see what is backed up go to E:\WindowsImageBackup\<Computer Name>\Backup 2015-12-16 103550 and double click on the largest Hard Disk Image file to mount it.

You can then assign it a letter in Disk Management and browse to see what is there. For me everything in SoftwareDistribution was backed up except DataStore\DataStore.edb (DataStore\Logs was backed up).

9. Mooly Win User
    Many thanks for confirming that. Exactly the same thing used to happen with OEMEI backup software although I think it got fixed once it had been reported to them.

I never knew you could mount Windows images (lol, something else to play with... thanks) but as you say though, is it a bug or is it by design.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update History. What do you see ? - Similar Threads - Update History

2. Installed Windows Update, not shown in history?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Windows Update, not shown in history?: Hi everyone, I have a Windows 11 PC running 21H2. In Windows Update 22H2 was available alongside Microsoft.NET Framework 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5011048 and 2023-10 Cumulative Update for NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 48.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5031225.I also had lots...
  3. Installed Windows Update, not shown in history?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed Windows Update, not shown in history?: Hi everyone, I have a Windows 11 PC running 21H2. In Windows Update 22H2 was available alongside Microsoft.NET Framework 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5011048 and 2023-10 Cumulative Update for NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 48.1 for Windows 11 for x64 KB5031225.I also had lots...
  4. All past security updates been mysteriously wiped from my history except the failing KB5034441

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All past security updates been mysteriously wiped from my history except the failing KB5034441: Could someone please explain to me what just happened? After restarting my laptop today, all history of previous security updates of mine has been removed from the update history. The ongoing failing 4441 update, however, is still affecting me, and only cumulative updates...
  5. All past security updates been mysteriously wiped from my history except the failing KB5034441

All past security updates been mysteriously wiped from my history except the failing KB5034441: Could someone please explain to me what just happened? After restarting my laptop today, all history of previous security updates of mine has been removed from the update history. The ongoing failing 4441 update, however, is still affecting me, and only cumulative updates...
  6. All past security updates been mysteriously wiped from my history except the failing KB5034441

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. 50 attempts in the history for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no...

50 attempts in the history for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no...: 50 attempts within the last 3 months for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no Canon printer or any Canon devices, is there any way to stop any next attempt?...
  8. 50 attempts in the history for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    50 attempts in the history for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no...: 50 attempts within the last 3 months for Canon-printer-2.70.2.12 to update but failed. I have no Canon printer or any Canon devices, is there any way to stop any next attempt?...
  9. Can not clear windows update history, normal methods do not work it returns as if never...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not clear windows update history, normal methods do not work it returns as if never...: After clearing the SoftwareDistribution file of all items and restarting all the same updates are back. Also Windows Defender is updating daily even with Depender stopped, 48 updates Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.401.908.0...
  10. Can not clear windows update history, normal methods do not work it returns as if never...

Can not clear windows update history, normal methods do not work it returns as if never...: After clearing the SoftwareDistribution file of all items and restarting all the same updates are back. Also Windows Defender is updating daily even with Depender stopped, 48 updates Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.401.908.0...