Windows 10: Update issue options?

Discus and support Update issue options? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Gateway DX4860. My computer will not update past the anniversary update (1607 OS Build 14393.2214 ). It runs the update.. get's stuck at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Deadguy71, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Deadguy71 Win User

Update issue options?

I have a Gateway DX4860.

My computer will not update past the anniversary update (1607 OS Build 14393.2214 ).

It runs the update.. get's stuck at 23%, the CPU starts heating up, as evidenced by the cooling fans which become very loud as they try to bring the temperature down. We've left it like that for hour's with the little circular graphic stuck in that position.
    Finally, we turn off the computer.. let it cool down for an hour, and turn it back on.
    The Percentage numbers pick back up where it left off, and it eventually get's to 83% before locking up again, with the circle thing stopped, and the fans going nuts. I have inadvertently let it do that for a solid 24 hours, and we're probably lucky the thing didn't set fire to the apartment.
    Then, I turn off the computer again, let it cool for an hour or so, and this time after rebooting, it goes to a blank screen and stays there. Same thing starts happening with the fans, I let it go all night one night, but still no good.
    I turn off the computer again, and this time when it reboots, it goes back to the previous version, and seems content to stay there.

I did everything I could, through every troubleshooter, help system, support ticket, and update assistant I could find. Eventually, after determining that my system just won't update past that point, I disabled the nightly updates.

In any event, with the latest update, you have removed my ability to stop the update, and so, I spend a half hour every morning, going through the steps above.. When I wake up in the morning, it's always locked at 23%.. I just turn off the computer and let it reboot, rinse and repeat, until it goes back to where it was.

I do not wish to disconnect my computer from the internet, but is that what I need to do, to stop the updates from potentially causing my computer to overheat and maybe even catch fire? It means a change in my workflow, but that's got to be better than this..

Unfortunately, the Windows 10 policy is to require users to have updates, apparently regardless of whether their hardware will support such an update. I DO understand the reasons behind this, but it's a shame that there's no way to get off this ride, without learning to use Linux or something, and trying to get Linux versions of all my programs (which isn't going to happen). I started with windows 2.0 it seems a shame to start over now.. I dabbled in Apple for a bit, to help a friend, and didn't care for it because you couldn't upgrade the computer. Now, I'm sort of seeing a benefit to that, in comparison to forcing computer upgrades.

Rather than throw away my computer, which I need, and which has programs on it that I can't reinstall, do I have another option I'm not aware of? Should I purchase a Windows 8 install disk? Version 8 was nice, I wouldn't mind going back to that one, even with support for it stopping in two years.

My computer came with Windows 8 OEM, and no disk, but since the windows 10 update compatibility wizard-thing assured me that Windows 10 would "work fine on my system", I didn't worry about going to 10, assuming I could always go back within 30 days if there were hidden issues.

Well, it was fine for a while beyond that, and by the time the updates started attacking a system it couldn't update, the 30 day option was long gone.

Had I been aware that Windows 10 is a limitless ladder which would eventually force ALL systems to become obsolete, (and/or potentially catch fire!?), I'm not so sure I would have been the loyal Microsoft OS user, let alone go through the training, learning curves, and suchlike I've gone through with Windows OS-based products over my lifetime.

I still have a system stuck on Win98 at work, because it's the only way to load the CNC programs for our Amada punch. I used to tease people about it, and found workarounds to upload the CNC files through newer operating systems, which I proved to them on my laptop, but wow.. I'm kinda glad no one listened to me... I'd feel pretty guilty right about now.

I may sound cheap, but the reality is, I'm almost broke now, with a now jobless gf who needs almost constant assistance when her MS flares up on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis. I'm at risk of losing my job over having to miss days/hours at work tending to her needs, or rushing home to get her off the floor, and ascertain her injuries. My income tax check was going to go towards a new computer, but now it's just a way to keep paying bills since I used up all my vacation hours tending to her, so when I miss work, I lose pay. Not your problem, just saying, a new system is pretty much impossible, and relying on this computer to make side money is becoming precarious, with these update issues threatening to burn it out. This is my fallback method of making money to live off of if I lose my job; when this system dies, I'm probably completely screwed, while waiting for her disability status to be approved (meanwhile we can't even finish the paperwork because of her mental issues caused by the MS).

:)

Deadguy71, Mar 31, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 31, 2019
  4. BAGZZlash Win User

Update issue options?

MSI 5870 BIOS Update

Still can't reproduce. Could you please post the exact BIOSes that produce the issue?

BAGZZlash, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

Update issue options?

1. Update issue options? - Similar Threads - Update issue options

2. Optional updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optional updates: After downloading iptional updates, power supply overheating and computer shuts down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optional-updates/9e6c8123-9ca3-4e44-9aa0-cc8aa11ff193
  3. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  4. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  5. Sign in option issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in option issue.: Hello. I am just after completing a fresh reinstall of windows. I'm trying to set up my sign in option as my password, yet its only letting me use the pin. I have googled the issue, and every post I have seen on this forum tells me to go into settings, accounts, sign in...
  6. Sign in option issue.

Sign in option issue.: Hello. I am just after completing a fresh reinstall of windows. I'm trying to set up my sign in option as my password, yet its only letting me use the pin. I have googled the issue, and every post I have seen on this forum tells me to go into settings, accounts, sign in...
  7. Sign in option issue.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Keyboard issue from Optional Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard issue from Optional Updates: I must initially state that computers totally lose med and installed a host of HP drivers . All except one . - when it works it is awesome however fixing problems is a nightmare for me. Simply put I use windiws 10 on an HP laptop. I run updates each day to ensure I get the...
  9. Power option issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power option issues: my PC is showing there are currently no power option available I'm not able to shutdown my PC since last month please help me out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-option-issues/5f7ef1e7-1b43-4778-9d3a-67d83190c3dd
  10. Power Options Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Options Issues: Good morning forum, So this is one I can not figure out or find a way to solve. I found that there was a update for this for the Tech Preview, but not for what we upgraded to from the free upgrade. Issue is that no matter what I try / change the monitor to turn off, or...